PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit advice

JohnE
04-07-2007, 10:55 AM
So I'm looking to buy some new gear. I used to have a full wetsuit, but it's no more. What do you guys recommend I buy? I understand from reading a lot here that a drysuit is the way to go for real cold weather. I think I'll buy one at the end of the season since I won't get my new boat until May 10. But what do you guys recommend in between the drysuit and shorts season. There are so many choices. I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find all the comments. Do I go with just neoprene shorts and shirt, (short sleeve or long sleeve shirt?) or short suit, or short sleeve/ long bottom spring suit? I can't keep the terminology straight either. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh, and any recommendations on where to buy? I do plan to go with O'neill or something equivalent based on comments I've read here. Rather than just guessing, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm thinking something like the Oneill Reactor shorts, Hammer Jacket, and Gooru short sleeve shirt would suffice for everthing until drysuit is needed. Just looking for thoughts.

bigmac
04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
So I'm looking to buy some new gear. I used to have a full wetsuit, but it's no more. What do you guys recommend I buy? I understand from reading a lot here that a drysuit is the way to go for real cold weather. I think I'll buy one at the end of the season since I won't get my new boat until May 10. But what do you guys recommend in between the drysuit and shorts season. There are so many choices. I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find all the comments. Do I go with just neoprene shorts and shirt, (short sleeve or long sleeve shirt?) or short suit, or short sleeve/ long bottom spring suit? I can't keep the terminology straight either. Any advice will be appreciated. Oh, and any recommendations on where to buy? I do plan to go with O'neill or something equivalent based on comments I've read here. Rather than just guessing, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.

I scuba dive a lot and I have or used to have wet suits of every description from 1/4 inch full Farmer Johns to shorties to lycra dive skins, even dating way back to the days before nylon lining when we needed about a pound of talcum powder to get into the stupid things. I've used Gates and Viking ice diving suits (dive rescue), but I never owned a dry suit for water sports until a couple of years ago and that's been a real revelation. For hydrofoiling, if it's too cold to wear a shorty, I wear the dry suit. I love being toasty warm, avoiding that initial water-entry shock, and the flexibility of a nylon baggy. I have come to hate the lack of flexibility for water sports of a cold-water wet suit.

My wet suits are all O'Neill. I've never seen better-made or better designed wet suits.

tex
04-07-2007, 12:19 PM
O'Neill - Assault Spring 3/2mm

Save! Wiley's Price - $95.00

In Stock Now

Features: 100% FluidFlex, GBS Collar, Glideskin Seals, Seamless Paddle Zones, Back Zip System, Super Seal Collar, Wind Resistant Smooth Skin: Chest and Back SIZES: S,M,L,XL,XXL ASSORTED COLORS

The smooth skin front will keep wind chill down. Get one that has the taped and glued seams. You will be warm!

weskix4
04-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm in a similar situation. I also need to get something for my 14 yr old son. A bag suit seems like a good idea because we can use it in cold water, and my teenager won't outgrow it in six months. Anyone tried the wakezone drysuit. It looks like a good deal, just curious what others think. Her is the link: http://wakezone.biz/WakeZone%20Dry%20Suits.htm

JohnnyB
04-08-2007, 07:27 PM
As things warm up in spring, I typically go from dry suit to either a 3/2 full for slalom or my shorty padded barefoot and a heater shirt for footin'.

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
We carry O'neill wetsuits. let me kno if i can help.

Doug G
04-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I have a 4/3 jetpilot chamber full wetsuit that I love. A jetpilot flight jacket and a shorty. I usually go from the full wetsuit to the flight jacket / shorty combo to the shorty, to trunkin it as the weather progresses. I don't have a drysuit so I can't offer any good feedback on that one. For me by the time it is too cold for the full wetsuit it is time to winterize.

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
We typically go from dry suit into shorty or just trunks and neo tops. I haven't had my full suit out in years! So long in fact I should just sell it.

I got my BARE drysuit from http://www.grizzly-sports.com/
neo tops from www.buywake.com or www.wakeside.com

No Skeez
04-08-2007, 10:22 PM
We see the majority of guys now going from their drysuit right into a heater shirt and boardshorts. In the midwest, a 2mm heater is great for May and early June as well as September and a little of October, and .5mm is great for everything in between. Most guys are not even purchasing regular wetsuits anymore. As for the kids drysuit, I've got a hardly used Adrenaline XXS that has been outgrown... let me know if that may work!

Hope this helps!

JohnE
04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone.