PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarders and Skiers

mrm2083
04-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Hey I will be trying to join a locale ski club with a private lake soon and was wondering what skiers think of wakeboarding. My dad and I will be joining but i will be the one using it most, we both slalom ski but I almost completely wakeboard, and while my dad mostly slaloms he doesn't do it much. Anyways we have some friends in the club, but you need to be voted in and I was wondering what most slalomers think of wakeboarders. Do you guys think we will get a warm welcome. We won't be rude, blasting tower speakers, driving like idiots, etc. I was just wondering if the hardcore slalomers will see us and think uhoh wakeboarders or if they will be open to it?

ProTour X9
04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
I've heard a wakeboard called a special olympic trick ski

bigmac
04-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey I will be trying to join a locale ski club with a private lake soon and was wondering what skiers think of wakeboarding. My dad and I will be joining but i will be the one using it most, we both slalom ski but I almost completely wakeboard, and while my dad mostly slaloms he doesn't do it much. Anyways we have some friends in the club, but you need to be voted in and I was wondering what most slalomers think of wakeboarders. Do you guys think we will get a warm welcome. We won't be rude, blasting tower speakers, driving like idiots, etc. I was just wondering if the hardcore slalomers will see us and think uhoh wakeboarders or if they will be open to it?
I'm sure it will vary from club to club, but generally, slalom skiers and wakeboarders appear to be like oil and water. The skiers tend to view wakeboarding as as mostly disrespectful kids who make big waves in disregard of shoreline erosion and smooth water for others who want to use the lake. I don't know about your particular club, but if they're hard-core slalom skiers on a private lake (I read that as small) and you're the only wakeboarder, and especially if you have a tow boat with a tower on it, I would be skeptical of a warm welcome.

WTRSK1R
04-07-2007, 09:02 AM
I think it will really depend on how you "share" the water. I have seen issues even on a very large lake when both groups want to use the same cove. On the other hand, if everyone realizes that the other is there, and you respect each other, it may not be a problem.

It will really depend on the size of the lake, and how well everyone shares in my opinion. But as Big Mac says, if the lake is small, and the club is primarily slalom, it may not be a warm welcome.

Ric
04-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey I will be trying to join a locale ski club with a private lake soon and was wondering what skiers think of wakeboarding. My dad and I will be joining but i will be the one using it most, we both slalom ski but I almost completely wakeboard, and while my dad mostly slaloms he doesn't do it much. Anyways we have some friends in the club, but you need to be voted in and I was wondering what most slalomers think of wakeboarders. Do you guys think we will get a warm welcome. We won't be rude, blasting tower speakers, driving like idiots, etc. I was just wondering if the hardcore slalomers will see us and think uhoh wakeboarders or if they will be open to it? what boat will you bring?
ALot of these club lakes rule out vdrives so you may want to check into that

mrm2083
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
We'll the lake is actually devided into a main lake and I think it's 6 or 7 fingers, a main slalom canal, a jump canal, a rectreational canal (wakeboarding, kneeboarding, footing, etc.) and the other canals have slalom courses but may be used by anyone. Only one boat is allowed in each canal at a time, so the wake wouldn't affect anyone. Both of our connections in the club say we will be alright, so I guess we'll see. As far as the boat, we have an X2, which obviously is a V-drive. As far as the rules, it says that only AWSA certified boats can be used in the slalom canals, so v-drives can be used as long as its not in the slalom canals, and as for that, i non AWSA approved boat can be used in the slalom canals if they approve it, so basically v-drives can be used but it isn't their favorite.

tex
04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
MRM-I'm president of our ski club. We joined several years ago as part of a show ski group. To say that our club was mostly hard core slalom skiers is the understatement of the year. I'm sure that it does vary from club to club but you can only control what you can control. It is all about your attitude. Don't disrespect them and they should not disrespect you. Don't be afraid to take a slalom set with them. Ride for them when they need it. Walk down and hang with them. Grab a towel and help them wipe down after they ski. This will let them know that you are not some punk ars kid who is riding behind Daddy's(even if you are the dad) boat. IT SOUNDS CORNY BUT TREAT THEM THE WAY YOU WANT THEM TO TREAT YOU. You will make lifelong friends who will end up driving for you and helping you wipe down. It's all about attitude! Go ski and close the gap!

JKTX21
04-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't know what the slalom skiers, other wakeboarders, fishermen, etc. where I play at think of me, and with all due respect, I don't care. If they have any bad thoughts about wakeboarders, it's due to someone else representing us, not me.

My views, I try to embrace everyone on public waterways. There is no room for me to have fun if I am worried about what other people are doing. Best advice is Tex's, to make friends with them.

Tex, does this mean I'm not going to see you out footin' since you are part of a ski club?

tex
04-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't know what the slalom skiers, other wakeboarders, fishermen, etc. where I play at think of me, and with all due respect, I don't care. If they have any bad thoughts about wakeboarders, it's due to someone else representing us, not me.

My views, I try to embrace everyone on public waterways. There is no room for me to have fun if I am worried about what other people are doing. Best advice is Tex's, to make friends with them.

Tex, does this mean I'm not going to see you out footin' since you are part of a ski club?

I've been through our slalom course on my bare feet about 10 times as many times as on a slalom ski. When the doc gives me clearance to hit the course-it won't won't be on my 67" KD-It will be on my size 9 1/2 Fred Flinstones!

88 PS190
04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
My contention with wakeboarders is that beginning riders do not need wakeboats, they don't need ballast either.

So you're out waiting for a boarder to keep moving down the shore, and they fall 3 or 4 times, gets on my nerves bad enough to take the pull and just have the driver pull me 40 mph past them to get to clear water before I even both with skiing.

TOO-TALL
04-07-2007, 04:30 PM

Check to make sure there is no added weight restrections on the lake i.e. ballast.There are three private ski lake close to me and I know one has a weight restrection.Just a thought.

I agree with JXTX21

JKTX21
04-07-2007, 05:20 PM
My contention with wakeboarders is that beginning riders do not need wakeboats, they don't need ballast either.

I love these posts that are open for debate! I agree with you. But, it's really their preference. Some people buy $50K trucks to tow their rigs, when they could get it done with a $15K truck. I will probably NEVER be good enough to justify buying a true wakeboat, but I know I want one because they are nice, more room, you don't have to mess with filling fat sacs, and some people I ride with can really utilize a better wake. IMO.

mrm2083
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I'll agree with the new wakeboarder thing and I am a wakeboarder. There are a bunch of new wakeboarders with wakeboarding boats loaded down with ballast that can't even jump the wake, plus they don't know how to drive and send rollers everywhere. These are the guys that give us a bad rap imo.

WESSTAR
04-11-2007, 01:27 AM
You just gotta love the newbie power turns.

ksmaristar91
04-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Just a little karma story. I have a 91 maristar 210 with tower and fatsacs and such, and primarly wakeboard. Last year on the lake i am stored at i was cruising toward the slalom area of our lake to ride, (dont run through it though) when i got passed by a bad arss TT205/or 197 i cant remember. All the guys in the boat were whining and such, because this guy beat us to the "glass", i said there are only 2 people in his boat and 8 in ours let him get some sets in. We anchored out and watched, i love to watch guys that can ride well at anything. After he was done riding he stoped by and said he was thankful for us not chopping up the water, he said no one ever waits anymore, might have chilled out for 20 or so min. The karma part is about 2 mo later while out on my buddies CC his oil light, (quart low, oil change isssue)came on and we went to the Marina they were closed, so we were gonna pack it in and saw the guy with the TT I went over and talked to him at his slip and he had some oil and gladly gave us some, i said what do i owe ya, he said continue to share the water, i said no problem, so rememeber what goes around comes around.

shepherd
04-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Good story ks! As a diehard slalom skier, my initial gut feeling when I see a wakeboat come into "our" part of the lake is "oh sh!t". But that's from past general experiences where they decide to rip right down the middle of the course at the same time we're trying to use it. But that's a public lake. If I was in a ski club, where everybody has to follow certain rules of courtesy, I'd have no problems with boarders. In fact, I'd welcome them - and tubers and any other watersports enthusiast.

And to complement ks's story, we arrived at our ski course one day to find some guys boarding there. We sat and watched for about 10 minutes. After they finished the set that was in progress, they motored over to us and asked me if I wanted to slalom. They politely drifted and let me ski a full set. Great guys - that's the way it's supposed to be - share the water.

I like wakeboarders, their boats are cool, and I like to watch you guys rip it up. I only ask one thing: If there is good water on a different part of the lake from our ski course, please go there if there are skiers around - we can't move our buoys!