PDA

View Full Version : You can't do THAT to a MasterCraft!

Hrkdrivr
04-07-2007, 01:01 AM
OK gang. Need some help again. Our gray/white X-45 is screaming for some graphics in its bare sides. What we and Momma were thinking was taking the "tribal" "X" graphic and kinda pinching one side together to create a sort of "tribal" (Christian) fish symbol, somewhat subtle but obvious to those who notice the fish.

I figure it'll do two things:
1. Keep me accountable so I don't drive/act like a jack-butt on the water (similar effect from the fish on my truck). :o
2. Express our faith while reminding us how blessed we are and what a neat blessing this boat is. :)

I've attached a few ideas I've come up w/on my own.

A few questions:
1. Who cuts vinyl or other material and could tackle something like this, especially matching the red and/or white colors already on the boat?
2. Anyone who has ever applied such a large, after-market "sticker," how did it turn out and did it have any lasting negative effects (different fade rates, etc.)?

3. Am I crazy to try this? Will it mess up an otherwise pretty darn cool boat?

Hrkdrivr
04-07-2007, 01:02 AM
last pic......

mrm2083
04-07-2007, 01:13 AM
i'd leave it stock but the fish actually looks pretty cool, I think my favorite is the last one, but they all look good

bcampbe7
04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
It looks great stock, but if you are looking for opinions, I like the "red & white 2" graphic.

You may try Eric at Chicago MC for the graphic. They have a vinyl cutter but I am not sure if it will do anything that large. :confused:

shepherd
04-07-2007, 01:29 AM
I like the Red & white 2 (2nd pic). I think it looks cool, and it would make your boat unique. Go for it!

C36
04-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Design looks good in all options, but my vote goes to "Red&White 1" . Give it a try, stickers can always be removed.

JR34
04-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Red & White 2 looks best but I like without personally..just my 2 cents.

rstitson
04-07-2007, 02:58 AM
Like the first best but the red fill is good also. Nice to do you own thing an d the graphic shape is great.

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 08:33 AM
The first 2 are look great, as the others seem to appear unfinished. Being a sign painter I guess I will be somewhat opinionated. Most any sign shop that does vinyl can do it for you, just be sure they used the 12 year Premium Vinyl.
Any type medium applied over gel coat or paint will have a masking effect on the finish and the finish will be protected from the sun, waxing, polishing and the elements.
The sign shop can apply it for you or with some soapy windex or manufactured application fluid, masking tape and a squeegie you can do it yourself.

ProTour X9
04-07-2007, 09:10 AM
I like this one (mostly 'cause its red)
I do like the second also

Ric
04-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Good lookin boat! I like the second pic the best

jakethebt
04-07-2007, 09:47 AM
That is a great idea. I like the first option the best, it seems to flow with the boat well...

duckguy
04-07-2007, 09:50 AM

bigmac
04-07-2007, 10:14 AM
There is very likely a similar place near you - most upper level sign makers cut vinyl - but if you email a mockup and dimensions to Action Graphics (http://www.actiongraphics.net/index.html) (only place I know of that does it around here and does an excellent job), they'll get you a quote. Installing such a graphic is relatively straight forward with a bucket of soapy water and a squeegee.

ski_king
04-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I like both the first and second, with a slight prefrence to the second.

You may want to consider making it a little more semetrical so the same decal will look the same on the right or left.
(Unless the vinyl cutter can make one left and one right for about the same price)

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I like both the first and second, with a slight prefrence to the second.

You may want to consider making it a little more semetrical so the same decal will look the same on the right or left.
(Unless the vinyl cutter can make one left and one right for about the same price)

Shouldn't be much if any difference in price, because it's basically one keystroke on the keyboard and the second decal will be flipped to opposite direction in the setup before it's cut, IIRC.
Since I'm a sign painter, one direction is done lefthanded and the other direction is righthanded???????:rolleyes:

X2M
04-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Beautiful boat! :) I like option one or two...they both work.
Good luck with getting it done. Please post some pics of the boat when you are finished.

TMCNo1 - are you left handed?

Ric
04-07-2007, 01:11 PM
...................... you crack me up duckguy

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
you crack me up duckguy

You should have read the kind words he wrote prior to editing and deleting his post.

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Beautiful boat! :) I like option one or two...they both work.
Good luck with getting it done. Please post some pics of the boat when you are finished.

TMCNo1 - are you left handed?

Oh yea,:D :rolleyes: 8p

Ric
04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
You should have read the kind words he wrote prior to editing and deleting his post. Oh sonnnnn, I did!

X2M
04-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh yea,:D :rolleyes:

I love that!! We are in our 'right' brain too. :D ;)

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I love that!! We are in our 'right' brain too. :D ;)

I don't know about the right brain, most people tell me I ain't right! Whatever that means?:rolleyes: :D

duckguy
04-07-2007, 02:51 PM
My words were not foul or rude, just truthful and honest and I stick to it that decal on there looks like butt. Having a sweet boat like that comes great responsibility to not do a dumb thing like put that gaudy decal on it. O and for further reference MODS. When someone posts up here asking for opinions that is just what they are gonna get so lets not act so mighty and delete the ones you dont agree with.

bigmac
04-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I think we need to be aware that each of our opinions about what looks good or doesn't look good are just that -- opinion. It goes a little over the top to try to post our opinions and state them as some kind of absolute, universal truth. A jesus fish graphic on the side of my boat isn't for me, but it's not my boat. I see all kinds of color combos and graphics here on TT that I personally don't care for. Heck, I still can't figure out the attraction of a teak swim plaform...but I wouldn't try to tell Harold that his boat looks like *** - it's a beautiful boat. I have to agree with the anonymous moderator - within the context of posting guidelines here, the post was out of line.

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I am sorry but I would not do that. Anything tribal looks as dated to me as a brass faucet. Again I'm sorry but stock looks very very nice. Great boat you have there.

bigmac
04-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Relative to censorship, I will say that I think it's kind of rude for a moderator to edit a post without stating that he did so and why. I don't dispute their imperative to do so, but I think that common courtesy should be applied rather than an anonymous and preremptory deletion without explanation. Such an explanation would help further clarify their interpretation of posting guidelines.

3event
04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Normally I wouldn't be the first to jump on the idea of adding an extra decal.

However.... You have created something unique and I like it, as well as the concept behind it. If you like it , go with it! My vote is for #2.

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Relative to censorship, I will say that I think it's kind of rude for a moderator to edit a post without stating that he did so and why. I don't dispute their imperative to do so, but I think that common courtesy should be applied rather than an anonymous and preremptory deletion without explanation. Such an explanation would help further clarify their interpretation of posting guidelines.

They do not surface when challenged. I asked MOD4 why TMC allowed avatars of photos we did not take ourselves and yet they are quick to delete pics posted from Monster Tower.com or the a like all the while the first two pages the swimsuit thread are loaded with Reef girls which certinly were not taken by the poster. Censorship of a site is one thing, picking and choosing which pictures or posts to delete on a whim are one all together different.

Not tryng to start a tiff but I too would be pi$$ed if someone deleted a post without telling me and at least giving me some sort of reason. JMO ;)

Jim@BAWS
04-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't know about the right brain, most people tell me I ain't right! Whatever that means?:rolleyes: :D

Most people are right

Ric
04-07-2007, 03:28 PM
My words were not foul or rude, just truthful and honest and I stick to it that decal on there looks like butt. Having a sweet boat like that comes great responsibility to not do a dumb thing like put that gaudy decal on it. O and for further reference MODS. When someone posts up here asking for opinions that is just what they are gonna get so lets not act so mighty and delete the ones you dont agree with. Hell I thought you were joking

Ric
04-07-2007, 03:31 PM
by the way, I did not take the picture in my avatar. I PROMISE
In fact I didnt even ask permission to use it

Steve, I'd appreciate it if you'd quit drawing the mods attention to the swimsuit thread, thank you

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 03:54 PM
by the way, I did not take the picture in my avatar. I PROMISE
In fact I didnt even ask permission to use it

Steve, I'd appreciate it if you'd quit drawing the mods attention to the swimsuit thread, thank you

Ric,

You know I just miss my material searches and 30 second pictures.:D

/edit: Sorry for the threadjack...

Ramhouse
04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
I've seen some NOTW in some good tribal. Maybe have it with the fish overlay.
Happy Resurection Day.....

bigpack20
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I like the first photo. But they all look cool:cool:

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Could be notification was given by e-mail or pm and was not made public, I dunno!

Doug G
04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
The choice to apply graphics is strictly personal. If you and your family like the resulting look go for it! I love the motivation, don't lose sight of it. I named mine for similar motivations and don't regret it for a second. Give credit where credit is due :)

bigmac
04-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Could be notification was given by e-mail or pm and was not made public, I dunno!Maybe. But I've had two post anonymously edited without explanation or apology and no PM's or emails. Most recently, some moderator took offense at my butt trumpet photo (http://mccollister.info/butttrumpet.jpg) and deleted it. Go figure...

Hrkdrivr
04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
First...I LOVE THIS SITE! I was asking for opinions and boy am I getting them...thanks!!

Second, I work w/some of the finest people this country has ever produced and I expect the people I work with and those who work for me to give it to me straight, and they do. Duckguy, you and I would get along great at work, and, I suspect, on the lake. Just in case anybody is wondering, I did see Duckguy's original post and it made me laugh so hard I called my wife in to show here. I like truth-tellers. :D

Third, I hadn't thought of tribal as being passe, but you may be right whoever it was that said it was akin to old brass (?)

Fourth, Doug G, love the name! We're gonna probably call ours "Absolutely Blessed." Everyone in my extended family overuses the word "absolutely," being Yankee northeasterners and we thought it would be appropriate but with a sort of inside joke. :)

For the rest, thanks for the inputs. I'll do some research to find a good vinyl cutter and will surely post pics if/when it gets done.

I love this place! :cool:

'

Hrkdrivr
04-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Give credit where credit is due :)

That definitely deserves an AMEN, brother! :cool:

Hrkdrivr
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I am sorry but I would not do that. Anything tribal looks as dated to me as a brass faucet. Again I'm sorry but stock looks very very nice. Great boat you have there.

M210, That might be why MC refers to any tribal graphics as their "Old School" style.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Maybe. But I've had two post anonymously edited without explanation or apology and no PM's or emails. Most recently, some moderator took offense at my butt trumpet photo (http://mccollister.info/butttrumpet.jpg) and deleted it. Go figure...

I have noticed some postings disappear without any explanation, a few of those were mine. I re posted a pic from swimsuit to Steve's Ive been gone thread and it was deleted but remained in the swimsuit thread. :confused:

As for your butttrumpet pic, That seems to me to be very tasteful :D :D

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks 210 now all I have is a 60,000.00 brass faucet :( :rant:

BriEOD
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry Mac, don't agree with you. Each of the moderators was approached and asked to help with the site based on our tenure and frequency on the site. One thing offered to each of us was the option to use an anonymous screen name. Obviously, some went that route and others did not. That said, the rules are the rules. If we see something out of line we are going to remove it. We may or may not cite a reason. We each have lives and jobs and we can't give a 'Supreme Court explanation' everytime we remove/edit something, nor should you or anyone else expect us to. Their are hundreds of posts each day. No offense, but if you don't like it, either a. PM TMC and request moderator status and provide an explanation each time or b. please bear with us we are doing our best and we will keep your suggestion in mind.

BriEOD

bigmac
04-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Sorry Mac, don't agree with you. Each of the moderators was approached and asked to help with the site based on our tenure and frequency on the site. One thing offered to each of us was the option to use an anonymous screen name. Obviously, some went that route and others did not. That said, the rules are the rules. If we see something out of line we are going to remove it. We may or may not cite a reason. We each have lives and jobs and we can't give a 'Supreme Court explanation' everytime we remove/edit something, nor should you or anyone else expect us to. Their are hundreds of posts each day. No offense, but if you don't like it, either a. PM TMC and request moderator status and provide an explanation each time or b. please bear with us we are doing our best and we will keep your suggestion in mind.

BriEOD

Yes. Clearly, we disagree.

Anyway, it's just an opinion. Thanks for not deleting it :D :D

BriEOD
04-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Happy Easter Mac.

bigmac
04-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Happy Easter Mac...to you too, Bri

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks 210 now all I have is a 60,000.00 brass faucet :( :rant:

I actully like that on your boat. I was merely stating I did not care for it. The emphasis should be on the "I"...

Steve

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM

BriEOD

Power Trip :rolleyes:

I am kidding, really.

I would not want the job of watch me and Bigmac's
a$$ flute:D

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Besides NSA keywords like Bomb, Allah and President don't apply here.

Here words likes Group Buy & Correct Craft will get a mod to drop thier sandwich every time. :D :D :D

Happy EASTER:D

bigmac
04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Power Trip :rolleyes:

I am kidding, really.

I would not want the job of watch me and Bigmac's
a$$ flute:D
Please.."a$$ flute" is misleading.

But here (http://mccollister.info/pianobike.jpg) is the companion photo. I really wish I could find some Englishman to explain these photos, though...

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 07:12 PM

But here (http://mccollister.info/pianobike.jpg) is the companion photo. I really wish I could find some Englishman to explain these photos, though...

I just spit fruit juice ont the table. Nice picture. LOL:uglyhamme

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I actully like that on your boat. I was merely stating I did not care for it. The emphasis should be on the "I"...

Steve

Thank you Steve, knowing myself as I do there is no telling what it will look like this time next year. :D

I do have 1 question, What the hell is wrong with my brass faucet. I'm starting to get a complex here 210. 8p 8p

BriEOD
04-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Happy EASTER:D
Same to you Stevie.

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Thank you Steve, knowing myself as I do there is no telling what it will look like this time next year. :D

I do have 1 question, What the hell is wrong with my brass faucet. I'm starting to get a complex here 210. 8p 8p

There is nothing wrong with that one. I should have paraprased better. Have a cocktail, I am:D

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 07:48 PM

And here I had you pegged as Mod4.

bigmac
04-07-2007, 07:49 PM
And here I had you pegged as Mod4.:D :D :D

I didn't pass the background check.

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2007, 07:59 PM
There is nothing wrong with that one. I should have paraprased better. Have a cocktail, I am:D

The cocktails are flowing my man! ;) My folks are here for Easter, and round #2 of the Texas hold-em tournament is about to commence. :D I hope you and your family have a great Easter. :cool:

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Tickling the ivories at it's best. I would bet the butt flute and the piano is a good start to compete with UMP's band?!?!?!? Name "The Bare Naked Gentlemen"!

TMCNo1
04-07-2007, 08:14 PM
:D :D :D

Being his family was in the oil business, they figured him to be a little too "slippery" for the job!:D

Bigmac, I have been thinking about call you "Slick" anyway!

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Has this become a giant THREADJACK :D :D

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 08:32 PM
:D :D :D

Sure, I gotcha. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more. :)

Brian, I think you guys are doing a fine job. Keep up the good work. If I ever cross the line with one of my posts, don't worry about notifying me, just do what you agreed to do. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask.

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
The cocktails are flowing my man! ;) My folks are here for Easter, and round #2 of the Texas hold-em tournament is about to commence. :D I hope you and your family have a great Easter. :cool:

Well my friend here's to pocket aces:toast:

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Sure, I gotcha. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more. :)

Brian, I think you guys are doing a fine job. Keep up the good work. If I ever cross the line with one of my posts, don't worry about notifying me, just do what you agreed to do. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask.

Aw come on Doug post a thirty second pic for old times sake. I'm on final probation, I can't:D

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Aw come on Doug post a thirty second pic for old times sake. I'm on final probation, I can't:D

Not me. I just right-click, save. ;)

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Not me. I just right-click, save. ;)

Ahh I see. A "high road taker"

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Just trying to make life as easy as possible for the new guys. Been there, done that. Straight and narrow from here on out.

Maristar210
04-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Just trying to make life as easy as possible for the new guys. Been there, done that. Straight and narrow from here on out.

As if you weren't on the straight and narrow before:D

Back to the Easter thread...

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 10:53 PM
As if you weren't on the straight and narrow before:D

Back to the Easter thread...

Only when I post my friend. http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/a/angel-or-devil-emoticon.gif

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, I am a bit behind on posting in this thread, but here goes:

I personally would NOT put those graphics on the X-45. Not because of what they stand for, simply because I don't care for how they look on the boat, and that the graphic doesn't "fit" the boat.

When I see an X-45, I think wakeboard, surf, cruise, party....the last thing to come to mind is a fish. If it were my boat, I would put some sort of sticker on the front half of the boat.

Some suggestions would be a wakeboard, clothing, engine manu. sticker. Or, you could put a Chicago MasterCraft sticker on it :)

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Also, if you do want a sticker cut, I can make it for you. My machine has a max width of 24" and a infinite length.

Maristar210
04-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Sup Eric?

How's CMC?

I just read an article in Wakeboard or Wakeworld magazine about you guys killin it on Lake Michigan and the Fox River with some heavy weights. The article listed Michilini as the chief organizer.

See it?

I did not see you in there FWIW

shepherd
04-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Having a sweet boat like that comes great responsibility to not do a dumb thing like put that gaudy decal on it.

It's a boat, not a baby - get a grip dude! There is no "great responsibility." :rolleyes: Anybody who dishes out $80k+ for a boat should be able to do whatever the hell he wants to do with it.

And now that you guys mention it, it does look kind of "tribal" but no more than the original graphics on the boat IMO. Dated or not, I like it.

erkoehler
04-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Sup Eric?

How's CMC?

I just read an article in Wakeboard or Wakeworld magazine about you guys killin it on Lake Michigan and the Fox River with some heavy weights. The article listed Michilini as the chief organizer.

See it?

I did not see you in there FWIW

CMC is good, starting to pickup now :)

Michelini is our Sales Manager, and is great at marketing and organizing such events. The wakeboarding on Lake Michigan was nuts, and for the record, you CANNOT WAKEBOARD by Navy Pier! They WILL TICKET YOU!!!! :D

duckguy
04-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Hey DUDE! I gotta grip. He asked for my opinion and I gave it to him.

Maristar210
04-08-2007, 12:45 AM
It's a boat, not a baby - get a grip dude! There is no "great responsibility." :rolleyes: Anybody who dishes out $80k+ for a boat should be able to do whatever the hell he wants to do with it.

And now that you guys mention it, it does look kind of "tribal" but no more than the original graphics on the boat IMO. Dated or not, I like it.

Huh - I disagree. But thats just my opinion.

I agree you can paint your X85 pink with a paint brush after you buy it if you want to as well but it does not mean I have to like it.

For the record I think a loud can exhaust on a small four cylinder car is along the same lines, I don't like them. There is way to much "HEY HEY HEY LOOK AT ME ... LOOK AT ME......

There is a level of inner security or insecurity that drives this need.

I could care less. I'd wakeboard behind a 16 foot lund in a Speedo and I'd have just as much fun clinking glasses with dignitaries.

If you need to bring attention to yourself by having a cool stereo or a sick ride with some serious bump I would say you are either trying to impress someone, you are looking to get laid or your level of arrogance iis higher than I can stand.

Happy Easter :D

Maristar210
04-08-2007, 12:48 AM
CMC is good, starting to pickup now :)

Michelini is our Sales Manager, and is great at marketing and organizing such events. The wakeboarding on Lake Michigan was nuts, and for the record, you CANNOT WAKEBOARD by Navy Pier! They WILL TICKET YOU!!!! :D

I am happy for you Eric and I wish you the best.

Take care.

Steve

shepherd
04-08-2007, 08:46 AM

I agree you can paint your X85 pink with a paint brush after you buy it if you want to as well but it does not mean I have to like it.

Happy Easter :D

From what you said there Mari, looks like you agree. I never said that nobody is entitled to his opinion.

Happy Easter

michael freeman
04-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I like this one (mostly 'cause its red)
I do like the second also

I like this the best as well.

WAT8415
04-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I like the red&white 2 the best.

LakePirate
04-09-2007, 11:38 PM
If you decide to put the fish on there be sure to always be on the lake Sunday morning....

/rim-shot

Mag_Red
04-09-2007, 11:39 PM

For the record I think a loud can exhaust on a small four cylinder car is along the same lines, I don't like them. There is way to much "HEY HEY HEY LOOK AT ME ... LOOK AT ME......

There is a level of inner security or insecurity that drives this need.

I could care less. I'd wakeboard behind a 16 foot lund in a Speedo and I'd have just as much fun clinking glasses with dignitaries.

If you need to bring attention to yourself by having a cool stereo or a sick ride with some serious bump I would say you are either trying to impress someone, you are looking to get laid or your level of arrogance iis higher than I can stand.

Happy Easter :DSteve...if you have something to say to me ....just come out and say it!!:D

Hrkdrivr
04-09-2007, 11:44 PM
If you decide to put the fish on there be sure to always be on the lake Sunday morning....

/rim-shot

HAAA!:purplaugh