PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Setup

JKTX21
04-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I got to thinking today, the last few times I've skied, I can't remember which foot I have forward. I think I have my right foot in front, I get up with the rope on the left side of the ski. I wakeboard goofy footed on my stong side (right foot closest to the boat).

Slalom still feels a bit awkward, so I don't know what works best yet....?

SDAhockey21
04-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I put my left foot forward...One time i accidentally put my right foot forward. The funniest part is i only realized i was riding goofy until i was up...Never new you could ride switch skiing!!HEHE Just do what ever feels more comfortable.

ski_king
04-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Here is a interesting old thread and poll.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1790&highlight=foot+forward

tex
04-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Foot and you don't have these problems!

shepherd
04-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Wow, that's kind of like forgetting which hand you put your baseball glove on!

Seriously, whichever feels most comfortable to you is what works.

Here's a tougher question: Which palm is up when you're gripping the handle?

88 PS190
04-07-2007, 01:47 AM
The learning curve can go either way.

Everyone in my family is lff, except me. because I shattered my right femur years ago in a nice fall.

now I am right foot forwards, I do not know why but I cannot go left, I think its the angle of my knee/foot now.

Most have a comfort level a particular way, the palm thing isn't really important unless you are getting some reach out at the ball, in which case then its something to work out.

JKTX21
04-07-2007, 03:38 AM
Wow, that's kind of like forgetting which hand you put your baseball glove on!

Seriously, whichever feels most comfortable to you is what works.

Here's a tougher question: Which palm is up when you're gripping the handle?

Haha, I still ride both palms down like a good wakeboarder should! I imagine when I get into the swing of things, I'll have my left palm up, as I am right handed.

I'll have to get out there and try both feet next time. Not this weekend, it's back down into the 30s and 40s here in Tejas :mad:

SteveO
04-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Jeremy,

Glad to see you are a wakeboarder going to the "darkside" and slapping on a ski. If you get a chance on you next trip either jump in with or give brazos bum a pull. He can lay it down and teach you a few things.

88 PS190
04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Haha, I still ride both palms down like a good wakeboarder should! I imagine when I get into the swing of things, I'll have my left palm up, as I am right handed.

I'll have to get out there and try both feet next time. Not this weekend, it's back down into the 30s and 40s here in Tejas :mad:

Ya my friends from down in Marshall were talking about snow, in Texas none the less.
I do recommend using proper hand posistion and that's the back foot palm is going to be upwards.

C'mon waterski season.

east tx skier
04-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Ya my friends from down in Marshall were talking about snow, in Texas none the less.
I do recommend using proper hand posistion and that's the back foot palm is going to be upwards.

C'mon waterski season.

Who are your friends in Marshall. My wife's family is from there.

Jeremy, if the rope's on the left side, probably RFF. Bring your ski next weekend.

JKTX21
04-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Jeremy,

Glad to see you are a wakeboarder going to the "darkside" and slapping on a ski. If you get a chance on you next trip either jump in with or give brazos bum a pull. He can lay it down and teach you a few things.

Shhhhh, don't tell our "other" friends, the slalom word might get bleeped out with "talk to JKTX21."

I'm always open to new things. I always have seen some of the older guys out early in the morning just throwing it down on the slalom and have always had a lot of respect for them. Are we going to run into you next weekend SteveO?

JKTX21
04-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Jeremy, if the rope's on the left side, probably RFF. Bring your ski next weekend.

I've spent some time in lovely Marshall working out in Elysian Fields. :mad: A lot prettier than Fort Worth, but nothing to do!

We are definitely bringing our skis next weekend. Looks like it might be a little chilly in the mornings, I can't wait.

#47of100TeamMC
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
The learning curve can go either way.

Everyone in my family is lff, except me. because I shattered my right femur years ago in a nice fall.

now I am right foot forwards, I do not know why but I cannot go left, I think its the angle of my knee/foot now.

Most have a comfort level a particular way, the palm thing isn't really important unless you are getting some reach out at the ball, in which case then its something to work out.

Actually, the "palm thing" is important always. If you do it correctly, (correctly is a theoretical correctness)it helps to balance out your weak side. You reach the same way whether you have the palm up or down. (Palm should be facing out at the reach no matter which side or grip style.)But in General, LFF skiers should have Left Palm Down. and in turn, RFF skiers should have Right Palm Down.

BrianM
04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Actually, the "palm thing" is important always. If you do it correctly, (correctly is a theoretical correctness)it helps to balance out your weak side. You reach the same way whether you have the palm up or down. (Palm should be facing out at the reach no matter which side or grip style.)But in General, LFF skiers should have Left Palm Down. and in turn, RFF skiers should have Right Palm Down.

I changed my grip last year. Took me about a month to get used to but I did find that my offside turn made a bit of an improvement.

east tx skier
04-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I've spent some time in lovely Marshall working out in Elysian Fields. :mad: A lot prettier than Fort Worth, but nothing to do!

We are definitely bringing our skis next weekend. Looks like it might be a little chilly in the mornings, I can't wait.

There was a brief period a couple of years ago when they had some places to go. Now, it's pretty much back to nothing to do.

Yeah, I'll be bringing gear for various water temps.

Jesus_Freak
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I changed my grip last year. Took me about a month to get used to but I did find that my offside turn made a bit of an improvement.

What did you change to/from?

Blair
05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I put my left foot forward...One time i accidentally put my right foot forward. The funniest part is i only realized i was riding goofy until i was up...Never new you could ride switch skiing!!HEHE Just do what ever feels more comfortable.

i did that too one time... it was actually the second weekend i ever got up on a slalom ski. i went for a pull behind our neighbours boat (jpattigr on here) and after leaving the dock i made a few turns and realized that something just didnt feel quite right... i looked down, and had to think about it for a minute untill i realised i was skiing with the wrong foot forward.

oh and SteveO... im coming over to the darkside too... i was a purebread wakeboarder that has found skiing recently... and im hooked... im hoping to make a full pass this year

88 PS190
05-06-2007, 07:46 PM

Friends name is Candis, she goes to ETBU