PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring my trailer, have some questions

cm02WS6
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
So after spending a couple hours chasing down a bad wire (and ground), I've decided to go ahead and just rewire my whole trailer. It shouldn't be that hard, and I can get rid of all those junk crimp connectors MC used at every junction. I have a couple of questions, though.

My first question is about grounding. I'm planning on running a dedicated ground wire instead of going through the trailer frame. That way I can be sure that my current grounding problem caused by the swing joint is fixed. Do you think there's any reason against a dedicated ground wire? Is there any reason why everything is grounded through the frame, other than simplifying the installation?

Also, I'm planning on soldering and shrink wrapping each joint. Does anybody know if there's problems with solder joints being exposed to water?

Thanks for the help!

bigmac
04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
So after spending a couple hours chasing down a bad wire (and ground), I've decided to go ahead and just rewire my whole trailer. It shouldn't be that hard, and I can get rid of all those junk crimp connectors MC used at every junction. I have a couple of questions, though.

My first question is about grounding. I'm planning on running a dedicated ground wire instead of going through the trailer frame. That way I can be sure that my current grounding problem caused by the swing joint is fixed. Do you think there's any reason against a dedicated ground wire? Is there any reason why everything is grounded through the frame, other than simplifying the installation?

Also, I'm planning on soldering and shrink wrapping each joint. Does anybody know if there's problems with solder joints being exposed to water?

Thanks for the help!

Dedicated grounding is by far the best way, assuming your lights have grounding terminals, or assuming you're going to buy some new lights. Connector soldering will no doubt save you some trouble down the road. When I rewired my 4-place snowmobile trailer, I bought many feet of the white-green-yellow-brown flat trailer wire. Any solder joints I gooped up with silicone sealant and put shrink tubing over that gooped-up joint, then shrank them down. I found some polyethylene tubing at the hardware store and ran all the wires inside of that, securing the tubing to the trailer to prevent the wires from rubbing through and shorting.

JohnnyB
04-06-2007, 09:54 PM
3M makes shrink tube that has silicon in it. It's made for this type of application.

Leroy
04-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Dedicated ground wire is best, just remember to ground the trailer still and that all the currents can flow through this one wire.