PDA

View Full Version : Rudder box

98ps190
04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
How hard is it to replace the stuffing box rope for the rudder? I have a small amount af water leaking in around the base of the rudder. Do you need to remove the gas tank or can you work around it? Thanks for any help.

TMCNo1
04-06-2007, 01:19 PM
How hard is it to replace the stuffing box rope for the rudder? I have a small amount af water leaking in around the base of the rudder. Do you need to remove the gas tank or can you work around it? Thanks for any help.

There is not any rope in the rudder port. There are (2) O-rings inside the port in grooves that should seal the shaft along with the grease you add to the zerk fitting that is between the O-rings inside. You may need to grease the port and/or replace the O-rings. Not sure about your boat, but I think you should be able to do all the work under the gas tank, our '89 did not require gas tank removal. Others can comment on that aspect of the procedure on your model boat.

JLeuck64
04-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I have recently had to remove my tank (98 PS 190 S&S) for another purpose, (fiberglass and gel coat repairs). That was a lot of work getting the tank out! As near as I could tell the tank was installed before the deck was set down onto the hull, because there sure as heck is not enough room to get it out with out cutting some fiberglass out of the way!

Trust me, there is enough room to work under the tank when servicing the rudder. Pull the floor insert up.

bigmac
04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I don't know about room to work, but I believe that that pre-2006 rudders all use a port with O-rings and grease to keep sealed. I know that they will leak if there's not enough grease and the problem should be solved with a few shots with some of Harold's Lubrimatic marine grease into the port via the zerk fitting. This pic is a late model Maristar - don't know about earlier DD's.

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudderzerk.jpg