PDA

View Full Version : 26 degrees...your thoughts?

ironj32
04-06-2007, 09:47 AM
well i was planning on taking my boat to my parents house today to do some work on it in the comfort of their garage for the weekend. however, the high today is 24 degrees and i had the boat in the water 10 days ago. it's been in a heated underground apartment garage since then. it would be outside for about 3 hours until i could get it inside again. is this too risky as far as any water freezing and doing damage to the boat?

ilikeitglacy
04-06-2007, 09:50 AM
don't worry about it...or put a glass of water in your engin box, when the water in the glass freezes start the worrying...

captain planet
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Your engine block will be fine for 3 hours. It is the other things that I would be worried about, like a heater core, shower, or bilge pump. If you leave it covered during the commute, you probably would be fine. Just get it back inside asap.

If your determined to take it out, drain any water from the above mentioned items and you should be fine.

ironj32
04-06-2007, 10:16 AM
It wouldn't be covered during commute. The high for the next three days is going to be about 30 degrees (lows of 15)...and it may snow some tomorrow. My parents garage isn't heated, i was thinking about just throwing a space heater out there and hanging a heat lamp in the engine compartment. i think it'll probably be easier to just leave it alone till it warms up.

Leroy
04-06-2007, 10:24 AM
It's not many things to open and you will have it drained and not have to worry. That is what I would do.

Probably safe, but you are taking a $5-$7k gamble if it goes wrong.

Maristar210
04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
It wouldn't be covered during commute. The high for the next three days is going to be about 30 degrees (lows of 15)...and it may snow some tomorrow. My parents garage isn't heated, i was thinking about just throwing a space heater out there and hanging a heat lamp in the engine compartment. i think it'll probably be easier to just leave it alone till it warms up.

Mine is sitting in my unheated garage right now. Lows last night were 24 and highs are 34 for the next few days. I am not worried about it but I have thought about it enough to keep the garage door closed and allow a little house heat out there from time to time....

JohnE
04-06-2007, 10:26 AM
i think it'll probably be easier to just leave it alone till it warms up.

That seems to make the most sense. Why risk causing problems?

JimN
04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
There's no excuse for not draining the motor if there's ANY chance of cold weather. It takes about a minute to remove the plugs and disconnect the hose on the back of the exhaust manifolds. Crank it over to clear out most of the water in the pumps and pull the hull plug. I really don't understand why anyone would risk their motor. It may just be that after working on so many boats my perception of the difficulty of doing this is skewed, but I doubt it.

Maristar210
04-06-2007, 11:04 AM
There's no excuse for not draining the motor if there's ANY chance of cold weather. It takes about a minute to remove the plugs and disconnect the hose on the back of the exhaust manifolds. Crank it over to clear out most of the water in the pumps and pull the hull plug. I really don't understand why anyone would risk their motor. It may just be that after working on so many boats my perception of the difficulty of doing this is skewed, but I doubt it.

Your right Jim, I'll be doing that very thing this evening as it looks like its going to stay cold around here for a bit.

Thanks - Steve

dmayer84
04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I drained my block as soon as they said it could be getting down to near or below freezing, Why risk it for 10 mins worht of work that can cause so many headaches?