PDA

View Full Version : radio problem

treptowr
04-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I just picked up a 2002 X-star. It has a clarion radio/cd player and clarion amp. When I test drove the boat, it seemed to work fine. Now it is working intermittently. I turn the radio on and the power comes on but no sound, a few minutes later the sound just comes on and starts working fine, but then goes out a few minutes later. I did trailer the boat 150 miles in some light rain with no cover so it is quite wet. Any ideas?

Jkelly
04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a loose connection, maybe the RCA cables.

helton333
04-05-2007, 03:24 PM
fyi, I have never had any luck with clarion. is it getting power?? If it lights up but doesn't make sound, it would be (to me) more an issue than if it did nothing at all - in that case, test your hot wire - if you have it looked at by a car stereo guy, consider replacing the clarion head unit with a reliable - over time, if you watch the message boards - clarions are always breaking.

treptowr
04-06-2007, 12:04 AM
yes, it is getting power, the lights are all on but just not making any sound. I just listened to the radio in the boat for a half hour while I was winterizing again as it got so cold here, and it worked fine. I switched it off, then switched it back on and it lights up but no sound. Seems like if I just leave it on for a while eventually the sound comes? If I get a new head unit, is my transom remote and driver side remote going to work with a different brand radio?

JimN
04-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Installed correctly, 95% (or so) of car audio products will work fine, including Clarion (which I have installed a couple of hundred and owned a couple of, too). The one in my truck has been there full time since 2001 and the only reason I bought it was that the one in my previously drowned car gave up because the car was sitting in the sun for three days and I didn't have access to get it out.

If it got wet, that's not a Clarion issue but it could be the problem. I would look at the battery cables and terminals, then look at the fuse holder or circuit breaker for loose connections or loose fuse. If the head unit's power and ground were taken from the harness at the dash, make sure the wires weren't just twisted and taped. If they were, whoever installed it should learn the right way, NOW. If there's an amp, make sure the turn-on lead is secure and not loose or connected badly. If there are loose, wet or shorted speaker wires, that'll also kill it.

Check your battery voltage. If it goes too low, it can make the amp (either in the head unit of an external one) shut off.

The remotes will usually only work on that brand but there may be an interface available that would let them communicate.