PDA

View Full Version : Get the yellow out!

Scot
01-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I have a '86 prostar with a base color of white... After a day on a lake when the mud is stirred up and is not so clear, I come home with yellow grunge that permeates the gel coat... after trying just about EVERY kind of cleaner for boats and fiberglass, the only thing that I have found to get it out is something called Rust Out or Iron out... it works immediately... Just wipe it on and rinse it off.... The yellow disappears.... you can get it at Ace!

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 10:58 AM
We had some pretty serious stain on my father-in-law's boat. When it was in for some glass work last summer, the glass guy used furniture cleaner with orange oil in it and got the stains off.

Ric
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I've also used x14 with good luck but it will streak if you don't wipe it on evenly and you need to wax the boat afterwards.

team north
01-21-2005, 11:29 AM
a lot of us up here use lysol toilet bowl cleaner without bleach. Super cheap just wet the hull wipe on let sit for a couple minutes and rinse off, followed by a good wax and polish. Obviously you wouldn't do this every time but once or twice a summer will keep all of the scum off your boat with very little effort. Been doing this for years on a lot of dif boats never had a problem

MarkP
02-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I use the Star Brite Instant hull cleaner for the scum line

Professor
02-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Scot,
I use Star Brite also. In GA they are famous for their "Home Grown Georgia White Dirt" or kaolin. Of course it turns many of the lakes in GA red after it mixes with other dirt. Hey, they even sell this stuff in stores as a novelty item but people buy it to eat. Yea, they eat dirt. Scot, what did you decide about the new boat.

atlfootr
02-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Forget what you've heard .... THIS IS THE STUFF! :worthy:
To clean and white'n thoses nasty yellow hulls. :purplaugh

SNOBOL is it!

Made by Church/DeWight 1-800-926-5222 M-F 9am-5pm EST
Local Publix Supermarket about $2.19

WORD of CAUTION ---> USE RUBBER LAYTEX GLOVES! :smile:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-04-2005, 08:32 PM
SNOBOL is it!

Does the Snobol strip off the wax? I would think that if you need rubber gloves, a fresh coat of wax would be a good idea after the cleaning.

BarefootWt
02-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I might suggest you call MC Customer Support and ask them as well to get another data point on the subject. The manual for 2004 says to use special cleaners under special conditions only - which you have. When necessary to do so, they say to contact your dealer for recommendations. Bottom line, they suggest to wax the gel coat twice per year - as this may prevent the yellow from ever forming/penetrating in the first place. If you have used special cleaning solvents, and the gel coat is dulled, then you may need to hand buff with a #7 rubbing compound or power buff with glazing compound #1 to restore the surface. This is all according to the manual. good luck.

atlfootr
02-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Does the Snobol strip off the wax? I would think that if you need rubber gloves, a fresh coat of wax would be a good idea after the cleaning.If it does, which I dout -- I haven't noticed. Nevertheless, I wax the bottom still the same :D

seafoxboats2003
04-26-2005, 09:36 PM
my scum line was this orange color, nothing would work on it untill i bought the STARBRIGHT SCUMLINE CLEANER i read this fourm and went and bought it . well its all true this is the best stuff ever ! it is a cleaner without asid so it not harmfull on the fiberglass. it just wipes on and off . the boat was realy scummy it was in the huricane and it was flodded and realy stained the boat, buy this stuff at any R.V. { motorhome dealer} store from the COAST MARINE catalog or marina . do not clean the scumline with any other cleaners before using the starbright , i did some test spots with a few other comercial cleaners {non asid} and when i cleand the boat with the starbright instant hull cleaner it dident work as well over the test spots whare i used the other cleaners, it is almost as if the other cleaners make the scum line sink deeper in the gelcoat. this stuff is great

Leroy
04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks Atlfootr; Sounds like great stuff, will have to try!

Makes me think of LeeC everytime I see that big eyed smiley face!
Forget what you've heard .... THIS IS THE STUFF! :worthy:

To clean and white'n thoses nasty yellow hulls. :purplaugh

SNOBOL is it!

Made by Church/DeWight 1-800-926-5222 M-F 9am-5pm EST
Local Publix Supermarket about $2.19

WORD of CAUTION ---> USE RUBBER LAYTEX GLOVES! :smile:

Mag_Red
04-26-2005, 09:55 PM
You could just get a Yellow boat :uglyhamme

MarkP
04-26-2005, 09:55 PM
my scum line was this orange color, nothing would work on it untill i bought the STARBRIGHT SCUMLINE CLEANER i read this fourm and went and bought it . well its all true this is the best stuff ever ! it is a cleaner without asid so it not harmfull on the fiberglass. it just wipes on and off . the boat was realy scummy it was in the huricane and it was flodded and realy stained the boat, buy this stuff at any R.V. { motorhome dealer} store from the COAST MARINE catalog or marina . do not clean the scumline with any other cleaners before using the starbright , i did some test spots with a few other comercial cleaners {non asid} and when i cleand the boat with the starbright instant hull cleaner it dident work as well over the test spots whare i used the other cleaners, it is almost as if the other cleaners make the scum line sink deeper in the gelcoat. this stuff is great
Ouch, I should not have hit that quote button!! That color is tough on the eyes..

Good to hear its working out for you seafox.

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Ouch, I should not have hit that quote button!! That color is tough on the eyes..

Good to hear its working out for you seafox.

I had to hightlight it to read....

Glad it worked so well. Even more glad you posted your success so the rest of us know. Thanks! - guess that'll be going on my 2nd west marine order this season.

BriEOD
04-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Makes me think of LeeC everytime I see that big eyed smiley face!

I haven't seen Lee on here in a long time.

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 07:21 AM
I haven't seen Lee on here in a long time.

I sure mis seeing that big smiley. Wonder how he's doing since he sold his MC?

H20skeefreek
04-27-2005, 07:26 AM
I guess I missed that LeeC sold his MC. What did he buy?

wesgardner
04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Hey All,

There is another "miracle" cleaner at West Marine called ON/OFF...it works, nuff said...

Wes

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 11:26 AM
I guess I missed that LeeC sold his MC. What did he buy?

I think he just sold. Nothing replaced it. Sad Sad time.

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Soft scrub w/ bleach once a year on Labor day after the boat has been in the water since memorial day. Cleans it right up! Whitest 1984 boat that I have ever seen.

Mag_Red
04-28-2005, 11:28 PM
I think he just sold. Nothing replaced it. Sad Sad time.yeah....they're saying the same thing about me at the Corvette Forum. I was up to 15,000 posts over there and haven't been back hardly since I bought the boat :(

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 11:30 PM
You have adopted a new extended family! :D

Leroy
04-28-2005, 11:35 PM
I remember Lee sold his boat and wasn't looking to buy.

Leroy
04-28-2005, 11:38 PM
Lees last post, Jan 5th.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=21350#post21350

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 11:44 PM
He is still in the top 10!

Mag_Red
04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Lees last post, Jan 5th.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=21350#post21350So who took over his Moderator spot???? Does it pay well??? :D

Leroy
04-29-2005, 01:35 AM
:D Not well enough or else Lee would still have his Maristar! Hopefully he will come back. I bought my old man ski off ebay from his recommendation!

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 03:17 AM
There is hope! I know atleast one guy that is on the site that doesn't own a boat.

I can't think of his name right now, but it will come to me :rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Erk, you are so Mark P, Jr. That guy ran up so many posts saying, "I wish I had a boat."

jayderwin1
02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
do you guys think CLR would be to harsh? i tried that snobowl stuff did not work i think what i have built up is calcium the bottom of my boat was the cleanest thing on the boat when i bought it (Nov2004) now it is the dirtest thing. after one summer its nasty and i pulled the boat out every day. i tried hitting it with a high speed buffer and rubbung compound and that didn't even take of that scum or what ever it might be.

milkmania
02-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I had accidentally posted this in General Discussion:o

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6937

Kevin 89MC
02-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I'll put in another plug for Mary Kate's On and Off hull cleaner. My boat had a pretty bad scum line that would not come off with a bunch of different cleaners I had tried. Did not try CLR though. Mary Kate's is pretty acidic (you need gloves, and yes it burns when it hits skin!), but it really cleaned my boat up.
Good luck!

jayderwin1
02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
i tried the mary kates on/off it work the best out of snobol and clr one thing it i got some on the prop, rudder and strut, and it seemed to change the colors of them. do these brase items have some kind of coating?

jeverett
02-04-2006, 01:36 PM
i tried the mary kates on/off it work the best out of snobol and clr one thing it i got some on the prop, rudder and strut, and it seemed to change the colors of them. do these brase items have some kind of coating?

The Running gear does not have any coating usually, that is not to say that someone hasen't tryed to put a clear coat on them, but it usually tarnishes undernieth and looks like cr%#. They will buff out really nice with a metal polish but it is very messy (black stuff everywere), I would tape off the hull around and use a polishing pad on the end of a drill, if you want to even take this on.

For the rest of you all most houshold cleaners will strip wax because they have a high pH. Try not to confuse the garage with the kitchen! mildly acidic; low pH, products will not strip wax. My guess is that the Starbrite product is the best and is most likely muratic acid, which is used a lot on ocean boats to get the gelcoat clean.

As the former pruduct development chemist for Meguiars I kind of have some experiance in the appearance area. I say former because I loved the job but hated So.Cal. had to get my family outta there! Besides living there I couldn't afford my MC.

jayderwin1
02-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Jeverett i went ahead and put the on/off all over the running gear to get it the same color then i waxed it all to keep if from rusting/tarnishinig. when i sprayed the on/off on the runiing gear it turned it all a redish color and after a day it started turning green like the Statue of Liberty. do you think wax will keep it from tarnishing?

TMCNo1
02-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Jeverett i went ahead and put the on/off all over the running gear to get it the same color then i waxed it all to keep if from rusting/tarnishinig. when i sprayed the on/off on the runiing gear it turned it all a redish color and after a day it started turning green like the Statue of Liberty. do you think wax will keep it from tarnishing?
WOW stop! That stuff is too acidic for your running gear. The prop is NIBRAL[nickle/brass/aluminum alloy], and your rudder, strut and fins are brass and all are cousins to copper, which will tarnish from the acid level they are exposed to as in rain, lake water, city water, etc. All our underwater gear is polished and here in NC the lake water tarnishes it to a light brown color whereas FL water turns it a real bright orange/red after 6-8 hours in the water. If you want to bring your underwater gear back to near original color, go to ACE Hardware and get "TARNITE" Metal polish. If they don't have it, it is in their catalogue and they can order it 4u, $4+- a can. It is a liquid, that you can put on with a sponge and then wipe off with a dry towel..Good luck!, and keep us informed how it works out for you! Believe me, after 28 yrs. of polishing on boat running gear, NOTHING will prevent it from tarnishing, but there are many products that will remove tarnish and "Tarnite" is the best and easiest I have found so far.

jayderwin1
02-04-2006, 08:44 PM
thanks TMCno1 for the info i will go get some of that tarnite. yeah i did not think it was good for the running gear when i saw it changing color right away. thats why i thought MC put some kind of coating on it. when i put the tarnite on do i need to remove the wax i put on there earlier.

TMCNo1
02-05-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks TMCno1 for the info i will go get some of that tarnite. yeah i did not think it was good for the running gear when i saw it changing color right away. thats why i thought MC put some kind of coating on it. when i put the tarnite on do i need to remove the wax i put on there earlier.
NO, just use the Tarnite, its the only wipe on wipe off polish i've ever found. Most cleaners/polishes require you to scrub like crazy to get the color back or the luster back on tarnished polished gear, but this stuff should change the color as soon as you srart wiping it on. If you use wax on your underwater gear your just peeing in the wind. For 3 fins, strut, prop, rudder, years ago started out polishing with BRASSO[2hrs.]then NEVER DULL/MAGIC WADDING[1 1/2 hrs.] then BLUE MAGIC and FLITZ[1hr.] and now TARNITE[30 mins. or less], now have polished S/S rudder and prop so it only takes me 10 mins. to do 3 fins and strut. Just play around with it and you will catch on. Clean up Gelcoat around your gear with a little lacquer thinner. Once a year during the off season I use a buffer pad in a cordless drill to really shine-r-up, other than that i only polish every 3 trips to the lake or before a reunion....................later

matsmith
02-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Is the Starbright scumline cleaner different than the Starbright hull cleaner?? Because the hull cleaner does contain acid....just wondering.

skitilldark
02-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Is the Starbright scumline cleaner different than the Starbright hull cleaner?? Because the hull cleaner does contain acid....just wondering.

I personally like the starbight because it just slices through the scumline like it was nothing. the only problem is that it IS acid, so you need to wax (in my opinion) at least twice a season if not more. My average is about 4 waxes a season, but I ski in an area tht really puts a scumline on and I have to use the acid every time I clean the boat.

SKI*MC
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
I use the Classic Vinigar water to get the water stains out. I really haven't had a problem with a yellow hull.

jeverett
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM

The hull cleaner is just a mild detergent, a little boat wash in a spray bottle, most likely pH neutral. The Scumline cleaner is prbably oxallic acid with a strong soap. Keep it off of the running gear or the skins cause it will turn it colors.

jayocheskey
02-08-2006, 11:46 PM
I use the Classic Vinigar water to get the water stains out. I really haven't had a problem with a yellow hull.
That seems to do the trick for me too. We have always used Apple-Cider Vinegar simply because it smells better. That is actually what our dealer recommended. He uses it on his X-9 and recommends the same for all his customers. Hey, if it's good enough for him; I'll use it forever. It really does work too - gets out nasty "red" river water and the toughest water spots. Really keeps the black looking sharp, and we all know how hard it is to keep black clean.

Sodar
02-08-2006, 11:51 PM

I use Distilled Vinegar and Distilled Water... I found that where I boat (in the desert w/ 100+ temps) that if I used distilled vinegar and water I do not have to worry about "vinegar spots" if I do not get it wiped off quick enough. I am able to wipe the boat down as soon as I pull it out and then when I get home (cooler climate by the beach) I can just use soap and water and the boat looks as good as new!