PDA

View Full Version : @%*# Thieves

BrianM
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Walked out to get the paper this morning and noticed that someone stole the bowtie emblem off of the tailgate of my truck. I had custom painted it black and apparently someone didn't want to spend the time to do it themselves. Gouged the paint in a couple of areas and put a small dent in the tailgate obviously prying it off with a screwdriver. P!sses me off. Been in this house 6 years and never heard of any kind of theft in the neighborhood.

Ric
04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
sounds like a youth. anyone on your radar yet? I'd say call the cops but the dispatcher would probably roll their eyes at this one!

dmayer84
04-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I know what thats like. Had the spoiler stoled off my Jetta, but they broke it trying to steal it, left the mounting posts behind. $150 later at a junkyard for a new lid and spoiler. Some how it was $700 to get a new one

Jkelly
04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian. That would P!ss me off as well. You work hard to have nice things and some lazy A$$ think its his for the taking.

Have you had any new people move into the neighborhood latey. Like Ric said probably some bored youth.

I say if you catch them tie a rope around their ankles and drag them around the lake for awhile. Maybe it will flush the laziness out.:rolleyes:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I say if you catch them tie a rope around their ankles and drag them around the lake for awhile. Maybe it will flush the laziness out.:rolleyes:
Now thats an interesting concept in behavioral science. :confused:

trickskier
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
That stinks Brian, sorry to hear it. You have really sharp looking Avalanche. I've been victimized a couple of times myself. Broke into my truck and stole my brief case one time and a pair of reading glasses the next.............:mad:

Hope you catch the little %*&%$#

Monte
04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
sounds like a youth. anyone on your radar yet? I'd say call the cops but the dispatcher would probably roll their eyes at this one!

I agree with ric... Are the kids in the neighborhood out of school?

I hate that for you Brian.. Good luck finding the culprit..

dmayer84
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM
I agree with ric... Are the kids in the neighborhood out of school?

I hate that for you Brian.. Good luck finding the culprit..

I know around here its spring break week for the local schools.

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Spring Break kids - Bored and doing stupid stuff at your expense.

PIA for you for sure - sorry to hear it.

Steve

BrianM
04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah spring break. I am sure it was kids. Just got off the phone with the parts department. $45 bucks for the stupid thing plus a couple of hours of my time to paint it black again. The dent repair will probably cost me $60. Still going to have a couple of visable scratches at the edge. Hopefully a little touch up paint will blend it ok:mad:

BrianM
04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I am going by the body shop today. Maybe now is the time to have the alignment holes filled and respray the gate and completely eliminate the bowtie.

JohnE
04-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I am going by the body shop today. Maybe now is the time to have the alignment holes filled and respray the gate and completely eliminate the bowtie.

That sounds like a great idea. See, the theft was actually beneficial.:D Well of course not, but it will be nice if you customize the gate.

Are you positive it happened at your house, or could it have been somewhere earlier the day before and you just noticed it that morning?

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 09:35 AM
That sucks, Brian. Nothing I hate more than a thief. I make a habit of filing police reports when stuff like this happens. I know it's small potatos, but give an inch and give up a mile. I don't make exceptions.

JKTX21
04-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Yep, some people don't want to be a part of society like everyone else. Someone broke into my truck and stole my $100 radio the other day while I was at work. They did leave my college class ring sitting on the console and about $1000 worth of tools in the back.

$150 for a window, $30 for tint, and another $100 for a radio. I bet they got $40 at the pawn shop. Lazy bastards.

BrianM
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Are you positive it happened at your house, or could it have been somewhere earlier the day before and you just noticed it that morning?
Yep, I am positive. Truck didn't leave the driveway the last two days and I know the bowtie was there yesterday.
That sucks, Brian. Nothing I hate more than a thief. I make a habit of filing police reports when stuff like this happens. I know it's small potatos, but give an inch and give up a mile. I don't make exceptions. I called the Sherrif and they are coming out to take a report. Kind of small town around here so they don't seem to mind.

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Yep, I am positive. Truck didn't leave the driveway the last two days and I know the bowtie was there yesterday.
I called the Sherrif and they are coming out to take a report. Kind of small town around here so they don't seem to mind.

We have some kids in our neighborhood who think it's cute to throw eggs on Halloween. I've filed two police reports in two years and will be setting up video cameras this year.

/stay off my lawn unless you're mowing it. :)

Sodar
04-05-2007, 10:36 AM
We have some kids in our neighborhood who think it's cute to throw eggs on Halloween. I've filed two police reports in two years and will be setting up video cameras this year.

My ex-girlfriend parked week old Hummer H3 in front of my house for the weekend, while we went to the river and while we were gone, some f*c*er threw an egg at the rear quarter panel. I never realized what the shell does to the paint and what the egg yoke does when it bakes in over the weekend. The left rear quarter panel had to be repainted....

So dumb how people feel the need to ruin others' nice stuff.... just leave it alone!!

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
My ex-girlfriend parked week old Hummer H3 in front of my house for the weekend, while we went to the river and while we were gone, some f*c*er threw an egg at the rear quarter panel. I never realized what the shell does to the paint and what the egg yoke does when it bakes in over the weekend. The left rear quarter panel had to be repainted....

So dumb how people feel the need to ruin others' nice stuff.... just leave it alone!!

For what it's worth, Simple Green will get egg off in no time. Agreed, people who mees with others' vehicles need to be made to regret it.

Sodar
04-05-2007, 10:48 AM
For what it's worth, Simple Green will get egg off in no time. Agreed, people who mees with others' vehicles need to be made to regret it.

I actually ended up being able to get the egg off, but the shell left about 10 concentrical rings in the paint, from the impact.... looked really weird.

JKTX21
04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Sad to say, but it is up to us to regulate these heathens, be it kids or adults. The cops don't have time to mess with it. It once was a felony to vandalize a vehicle in Texas, but the jails and prisons became over crowded.

I would love to catch one of these disrespectful people... I'm sure I'll have my day in the sun sometime. If you see someone yelling what sounds like Samuel L. Jackson lines, in the front yard, at a bunch of 15-year olds, it's probably me! :D :D :D

shepherd
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Sorry to hear it Brian. Likely a random act of mischief that probably won't happen again. Unfortunately, at expense to you. I'd be pissed off too :mad:

BrianM
04-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Sad to say, but it is up to us to regulate these heathens, be it kids or adults. The cops don't have time to mess with it. It once was a felony to vandalize a vehicle in Texas, but the jails and prisons became over crowded.

I would love to catch one of these disrespectful people... I'm sure I'll have my day in the sun sometime. If you see someone yelling what sounds like Samuel L. Jackson lines at a bunch of 15-year olds, it's probably me! :D :D :D
I heard the dogs bark last night around midnight. It was windy outside so I just figured something made a little noise in the wind and made them bark. Should have taken a look because it was probably them. Kind of glad I didn't catch them because I would probably be sitting in the pokey right about now while my wife was arranging to bail me out. Would have beat the sh!t out of the punks.

rodltg2
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
some kids took a baseball bat to my mailbox a few weeks ago. not to happy about that. it was still useable but i didnt notice it while backing in my boat and ran it over. needless to say i had to buy a new one.

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 11:33 AM

And you said Harold was crabby:D

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM

I would love to catch one of these disrespectful people... I'm sure I'll have my day in the sun sometime. If you see someone yelling what sounds like Samuel L. Jackson lines, in the front yard, at a bunch of 15-year olds, it's probably me! :D :D :D

You mean like in Shaft?

I loved that movie. "Whats my name?"

" John Shaft, John Shaft "

as he beats his a$$ into a bloody pulp....

JohnE
04-05-2007, 11:41 AM

It sucks period, but it would bother me less for some reason if it happened someplace other than my own home. I'd feel much more pissed off having it happen in my own driveway.

Still, it's going to look great if you get rid of the bowtie completely and have it repainted. I'm sure that's no consolation.

RexDog1
04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
some kids took a baseball bat to my mailbox a few weeks ago. not to happy about that. it was still useable but i didnt notice it while backing in my boat and ran it over. needless to say i had to buy a new one.

To stop this, put 2 up
One on top and one on bottom
The top one fill if full of cement, the bottom one is for your mail…
Surprise!!!!!!!:D

Sorry Brian………….:o

TMCNo1
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM
And you said Harold was crabby:D

I'd just call Clint Eastwood, so someone could make his freaking day!:D

rodltg2
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
To stop this, put 2 up

if it happens agian i may do that. but the replacemnt box was $5 at kmart. so cheap fix so far

JKTX21
04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
You mean like in Shaft?

I loved that movie. "Whats my name?"

" John Shaft, John Shaft "

as he beats his a$$ into a bloody pulp....

No like Pulp Fiction...

Say "what" again! I dare you....!

Monte
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
To stop this, put 2 up

Minor threadjack
At age 13 or 14 I watched a car load of kids TRY to take out my parents brick mailbox. Bat bouced off, busted the rear window on the car... guy had to get out grab the bat (it was still ringing along with his hands I'm sure). Then jump back in... as a result I got the tag number.. Come to find out they had busted 40 or so mailboxes in the neighborhood..
three of them lived in the neighborhood, and their boxes were basically the only ones not hit.. They had to pay for every one...

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 12:20 PM
No like Pulp Fiction...

Say "what" again! I dare you....!

Both good ones. Pulp Fiction was a little rough....

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Minor threadjack
At age 13 or 14 I watched a car load of kids TRY to take out my parents brick mailbox. Bat bouced off, busted the rear window on the car... guy had to get out grab the bat (it was still ringing along with his hands I'm sure). Then jump back in... as a result I got the tag number.. Come to find out they had busted 40 or so mailboxes in the neighborhood..
three of them lived in the neighborhood, and their boxes were basically the only ones not hit.. They had to pay for every one...

Minor thread jack number 2:

If you do this and someone hits your mailbox while in a car or on a bike and injures themself you are potientially liable for damage.

I followed a story about a gentlemen who kept getting his mailbox run over. He lived on a corner and usually this happend when people were going too fast or it was snowing and slid off the road. He had enough of this and decided he was going to cement in a steel I beam about 4 feet into the ground. Someone hit the "mailbox" sometime later and was killed because the mailbox did not budge. Guess who lost this legal battle? John Q homeowner got his a$$ taken to the cleaners. Be careful is all I'm saying.

Mag_Red
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry to read this Brian. Last week some low life broke in my daughter's car, in the driveway, and stole her Alpine stereo I installed for X-Mas and her Monster cable IPOD controller. Next time I'm welding the damned thing in and glueing razor blades to the back of it:mad:

rodltg2
04-05-2007, 12:48 PM

If you do this and someone hits your mailbox while in a car or on a bike and injures themself you are potientially liable for damage.

I followed a story about a gentlemen who kept getting his mailbox run over. He lived on a corner and usually this happend when people were going too fast or it was snowing and slid off the road. He had enough of this and decided he was going to cement in a steel I beam about 4 feet into the ground. Someone hit the "mailbox" sometime later and was killed because the mailbox did not budge. Guess who lost this legal battle? John Q homeowner got his a$$ taken to the cleaners. Be careful is all I'm saying.

thats a bunch of BS. i diont know that particular situation , but i hate it when peeple blame others for their stupid mistakes.

puck_11
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Sorry to read this Brian. Last week some low life broke in my daughter's car, in the driveway, and stole her Alpine stereo I installed for X-Mas and her Monster cable IPOD controller. Next time I'm welding the damned thing in and glueing razor blades to the back of it:mad:

Nah, you don't want to make it any harder for them to get at, because then they'll tear apart the dash to get after it. I installed a satellite radio in my roomates car, had everything hidden pretty well, except for the antenna which was on the roof, but they ripped apart the seats and the dash looking for all the pieces. Which they didnt' actually get because they couldn't get them out. They were never caught, but they hit every car in the neighborhood with a satellite radio. This was back when they first came out and were the cool, new thing to have.

Stereo = 150
Dash, ripped rear leather seat (trying to gain access to the trunk) = $$$

Needless to say take your losses and be glad they didn't rip apart your car to get at everything.

JKTX21
04-05-2007, 12:52 PM
No, you can't do that... The mailbox has to break away easily. At our old ranch house, we set the mailbox a 5 gallon bucket of concrete because it was constantly being run over. Post Office don't play that game.

Monte
04-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Threadjack #3
I would seriously hope that his Homowners insurance afforded coverage under the liability section. He could be found negligent so when they found him liable (have to be negligent to be liable) Homeowners Ins should have paid in this guy's defense IMHO.. I wonder if he even told them?:confused: Ond second thought they may have found it malicious and declined coverage. It would be interesting to know:confused:

Just to specify.... The brick mailbox at my parents home is the common match the house style with the recessed box.. If they hit the one at my house they have to drive or bat through a pretty big oak tree;) :rolleyes:

flyingskibiker
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
bummer! i laid out my stories of major thefts on another thread. but my friend has a similar story to yours. he had about 3 BMW emblems stolen off the front of his car. punks wanting to hang them around their neck, i guess. he finally installed a switch under it which set off his alarm! this was after staying up several nights and other methods to try to catch them...

Workin' 4 Toys
04-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Steve, this applies around here too. It has something to do with the location of the mailbox not belonging to the homeowner. It's an easement.
Just last week about 4 blocks away, a "kid" took out an huge masonry mailbox in front of someone house. I am not sure if anyone was hurt, but after seeing the bricks scattered as far as they were, I would have to think so.

BrianM
04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
The body shop finished up my tailgate quick. Dropped it off Monday morning and they called late yesterday afternoon to tell me I could pick it up this morning. I had the alignment holes filled and plan to leave it without the big old bowtie. Kind of wanted it that way in the first place. Will post a picture when I get a chance.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-11-2007, 11:05 AM
The body shop finished up my tailgate quick. Dropped it off Monday morning and they called late yesterday afternoon to tell me I could pick it up this morning. I had the alignment holes filled and plan to leave it without the big old bowtie. Kind of wanted it that way in the first place. Will post a picture when I get a chance.
Perhaps a Dripmold Bowtie Mastercraft style is in order...

BrianM
04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Got the tailgate back from the bodyshop. I like the clean look.

Maristar210
04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Got the tailgate back from the bodyshop. I like the clean look.

Looks good. I see your wearing shorts, damn snow:rolleyes:

Jkelly
04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Nice clean look. I like it.

dmayer84
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Really cleans up the look of it.

Do you take your hitch off when your not towing?
I have the backup sensors a swell and they basically arent good for s*&! if you have a hitch attached. Constantly just turning them off cause the hitch is right there. Would have thought that they might think that people would want to leave their hitch on and still have the sensors.

BrianM
04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Looks good. I see your wearing shorts, damn snow:rolleyes:
Ah yes. Forecast is 85 today with light wind. Headed to the lake this evening. :D

Really cleans up the look of it.

Do you take your hitch off when your not towing?
I have the backup sensors a swell and they basically arent good for s*&! if you have a hitch attached. Constantly just turning them off cause the hitch is right there. Would have thought that they might think that people would want to leave their hitch on and still have the sensors.

Yes I take the hitch off but my sensors still work with it in. It is just a straight hitch no drop so that may be the difference.

trickskier
04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Looks good as new Brian..........

BrianM
04-20-2007, 09:20 AM
A little update. The guy who stole the emblem off of my truck had the nerve to drive by my house yesterday evening. Just so happened I was walking out as he was slowly rolling by. I guess I should really say suspect but my neighbor had a good description of the truck and the guy so I have been on the lookout. The people that live kind of across the street from me are less than desirable renters and have a steady stream of 'friends' in and out of the place. I had seen this guy prior to all of this an he is the first one that came to mind when this happened. Well his truck now has a big black bowtie on the tailgate.

So back to the story...

The wife and I were headed out to dinner so I hop in the car real quick and follow him. As soon as he sees me pull out he sped up and made a quick turn down the street. I finally caught up to him close enough to get a plate number. I then decided to keep following. A few blocks later he realized I was still behind him and floored it through the residential neighborhood and made a couple of quick turns to lose me. Since it was in the neighborhood I didn't chase him but obviously it was the guy. Someone who wasn't guilty wouldn't try to get away from me. I wasn't following close and except for the last turn I made behind him many people take the same route out of the subdivision.

I called the sheriff and the deputy is coming back out to my house this morning to get all of the information. I hope they have enough to arrest this guy.

Maristar210
04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
A little update. The guy who stole the emblem off of my truck had the nerve to drive by my house yesterday evening. Just so happened I was walking out as he was slowly rolling by. I guess I should really say suspect but my neighbor had a good description of the truck and the guy so I have been on the lookout. The people that live kind of across the street from me are less than desirable renters and have a steady stream of 'friends' in and out of the place. I had seen this guy prior to all of this an he is the first one that came to mind when this happened. Well his truck now has a big black bowtie on the tailgate.

So back to the story...

The wife and I were headed out to dinner so I hop in the car real quick and follow him. As soon as he sees me pull out he sped up and made a quick turn down the street. I finally caught up to him close enough to get a plate number. I then decided to keep following. A few blocks later he realized I was still behind him and floored it through the residential neighborhood and made a couple of quick turns to lose me. Since it was in the neighborhood I didn't chase him but obviously it was the guy. Someone who wasn't guilty wouldn't try to get away from me. I wasn't following close and except for the last turn I made behind him many people take the same route out of the subdivision.

I called the sheriff and the deputy is coming back out to my house this morning to get all of the information. I hope they have enough to arrest this guy.

Fricking unbelieveable. I have had my share of this most recently as well. (what is the world coming to thread)

Ric
04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
good work kojack

my guess is this guy is no stranger to the cops

good that you got the plate number. Hope you are not dissapointed with what the cops end up doing......... at the very least, you will make his day a bit harder for him

BrianM
08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Got the Rat B@stard!

Got a call from the detective today. I have talked to him a few times over the past months. They finally caught up to the guy. The detective said that when confronted the guy actually admitted it. He is currently in some AA/drug outpatient type progam ordered by the courts because of some other arrest he has had. Bottom line is apparently mommy (this guy is in his early 20s) will be paying for my damages so the cops don't arrest him again which will get him thrown out of this program. I just want to be reinbursed the $500+ it cost me to have my truck fixed. Hopefully this program he is in works for him but more than likely it won't and he will end up arrested again for something else anyway. Detective told me he is leaving the file open until I call him to tell him the check has cleared.

Big thanks to the St Tammany Parish Sheriffs office for staying on this relatively small case.

KnoxX2
08-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Good to here. Glad you will get reinbursed. To bad his mommy is bailling him out. He should have to pay the continuances of his actions

BrianM
08-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Good to here. Glad you will get reinbursed. To bad his mommy is bailling him out. He should have to pay the continuances of his actions

In a perfect world this POS would be doing hard labor clearing brush from my property in this 95 degree heat and 95% humidity. Oh well, I'll take the cash. :D

puck_11
08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
That's good to hear that the a**hole got caught! I personally think he should be arrested again and kicked out of the program and serve time. Obviously he hasn't learned his lesson from his first(??) arrest, and the chance he was given he's abused. Regardless I'm sure you're happier on your end.

Monte
08-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Glad you got him.. Too bad he is not doing hard labor in your yard!! like you said.. Hopefully mom will make him pay her back!!!!!

JimN
08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Too bad his dad isn't around to say, "Son, I'm very disappointed in you".

BrianM
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Too bad his dad isn't around to say, "Son, I'm very disappointed in you".
His Dad has pretty much disowned him. This guys older sister used to live down the street from me. About a year ago him and Dad got in a fist fight in the middle of the street. Cops had to show up and break it up. Dad doesn't approve of his ways and kicked him out of the house. Apparently mama has taken him in though.

TMCNo1
08-24-2007, 08:44 AM
We can tell, that mom is proud of her son!

Unfortunately someday she can put a bumper sticker on her car that says, "I Am A Proud Parent of a Convicted Felon" !

Maristar210
08-24-2007, 08:59 AM
His Dad has pretty much disowned him. This guys older sister used to live down the street from me. About a year ago him and Dad got in a fist fight in the middle of the street. Cops had to show up and break it up. Dad doesn't approve of his ways and kicked him out of the house. Apparently mama has taken him in though.

Sounds like a great young man :rolleyes:

I sound like an old codger but young people these days expect things instead of being willing to work for them. I have hired and fired more than a handfull of people in the last two weeks who expect a living instead of earning one. People wonder what is happening to America and I can tell you; were lazy.....

TX.X-30 fan
11-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I thought this was funny, so tell me why is it bad for law abiding citizens to carry weapons?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5738787

Monte
11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
I thought this was funny, so tell me why is it bad for law abiding citizens to carry weapons?

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5738787

Now THAT is a funny story.. Let me in.. Let me in... they're shooting at me!

mitch
11-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Got the Rat B@stard!

Got a call from the detective today. I have talked to him a few times over the past months. They finally caught up to the guy. The detective said that when confronted the guy actually admitted it. He is currently in some AA/drug outpatient type progam ordered by the courts because of some other arrest he has had. Bottom line is apparently mommy (this guy is in his early 20s) will be paying for my damages so the cops don't arrest him again which will get him thrown out of this program. I just want to be reinbursed the $500+ it cost me to have my truck fixed. Hopefully this program he is in works for him but more than likely it won't and he will end up arrested again for something else anyway. Detective told me he is leaving the file open until I call him to tell him the check has cleared.

Big thanks to the St Tammany Parish Sheriffs office for staying on this relatively small case.

Good ending Brian! I missed this the 1st time around

TX.X-30 fan
11-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Now THAT is a funny story.. Let me in.. Let me in... they're shooting at me!

Monte Jeez I barely slept at all, just kept seeing this monkey. :D

Monte
11-02-2007, 09:28 AM

C'mon TX you know you like the monkey.. The sad part is.. At one time that was a popular kids' toy.. No wonder that generation is so screwed up:rolleyes:

RexDog1
11-02-2007, 09:54 AM

This should help you sleep better :rolleyes:

Monte
11-02-2007, 10:05 AM

sching sching sching sching....:eek3: :eek3:

TMCNo1
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
sching sching sching sching....:eek3: :eek3:

Ya'll got this all wrong, that's Bert's Halloween costume!:rolleyes:

Monte
11-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Ya'll got this all wrong, that's Bert's Halloween costume!:rolleyes:

I thought it was a picture of me:rolleyes:

Double D
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Lazy stupid people! I once had my plastic grill stolen off the front of my S-10 pick up truck. Damn thing only cost $50 anyway.

TX.X-30 fan
11-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Was that monkey looking at nude UMP pics??????? :D