PDA

View Full Version : Break-In Period

Rickkirch
04-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Ok, So I can't wait to get my X-1 into the lake. I just bought it at the Detroit Boat Show. The Question is... How long until I can pull? The manual says the first hour: keep it under 2,00RPM & a Light Load, The next five hours keep it under 4,000 RPMs and vary the engine speed The final ten hours full speed for 2 to 3 minutes. I want to get it into the lake soon so I can get the break-in out of the way. Suggestions?

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Between five hours, and 15 hours, three minutes? ;)

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Easy there big Daddy....

Up and down the throttle, varying for 10 hours minimum. Change the oil and letter rip!!!!!!

Footin
04-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Drive it like ya stole it.

cbryan70
04-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Amen footin

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Don't listen to these guys. Go by the book. Then drive it like you stole it.

cbryan70
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
dont listen to eastie....power turns or batturns whatever you call them need to be done within the first hour. This way if somthing is going ot break it will and you will know about it right away :headbang: :dance: :popcorn:

vogelm1
04-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Ten hours is plenty good if you followed the book up until that point. After ten, you probably still do not want to run WOT for extended periods of time. I pulled wakeboarders and slalom skiers after that amount of time, and I belive we let 'er rip for barefooting around 15 hours. As mentioned above, be sure to change the oil around 20 hours. HAVE FUN!

Leroy
04-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I would really like to see some scientific data on the break in process. All 3 Hondas I have owned said drive it like you always will when I left the showroom. I think this is carry over from the old days, but without data, well who knows?

Note, this is a bit crazy....but kind of funny....
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
I would really like to see some scientific data on the break in process. All 3 Hondas I have owned said drive it like you always will when I left the showroom. I think this is carry over from the old days, but without data, well who knows?

Note, this is a bit crazy....but kind of funny....
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

On my 96 Accord, I was told to vary the speed for xxx miles. No idea what the manual said. As for the boats, I have trouble believing that that specific info is in there just to torture the new owner. For the $$ spent to have that new boat smell, I'd pick a weekend and bring some good tunes and beer and get it all done right.

Plus, I hear if you don't break it in right, your seats will turn pink.

88 PS190
04-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Don't forget that water is not a low stress environment,

Marine engines are subjected to higher rpm, and water is very hard to move through, don't believe me, run next to an olympic swimmer, see how much time it takes you to complete the same distance... water is slow and heavy.

Part of the new car, drive it like you will is that the engine will begin to memorize its duties, not just electronically.

Follow their break in, change the oil to get the crud out.

In my opinion, you can start skiing when you get past the 10, just keep in mind take shorter sets than you would.

If you are on a very short lake i wouldn't start doing heavy pull ups quite yet at that point. I'd also leave the ballast empty for less load.

The break in isn't all for the engine but is also for that transmission, which takes a large amount of load in its life so treat it kind.

ProTour X9
04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Do as the manual says
Once 15-20hrs are on it do whatever you want:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TtK81GIdE60

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HsF8niEGEMQ

Leroy
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I followed the rules in 2001 when I bought mine new. I would recommend anyone with a new boat do the same.

Now we know the rest of the story on pink seats! ;)

On my 96 Accord, I was told to vary the speed for xxx miles. No idea what the manual said. As for the boats, I have trouble believing that that specific info is in there just to torture the new owner. For the $$ spent to have that new boat smell, I'd pick a weekend and bring some good tunes and beer and get it all done right.

Plus, I hear if you don't break it in right, your seats will turn pink.

sanjuan23
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Who plays the song in this commercial... I am at a complete loss...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TtK81GIdE60

jmac197
04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
The Who. The song is Eminance Front

sanjuan23
04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Thank You!!

cmack
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
We are still in the breakin for our X1. I have already started boarding behind it but I fall alot. I'm usually on the board for only a few mins. When I start trying to get big air. I would say 3 mins is a long time for me to go without falling.
Since my sets are really short I figured this was ok. Is there enough "varying" going on in the time when I fall, she picks me up and I go again?
Now she is a different story. She gets up on skis and will not fall for 30 mins. So that has to wait.

Sodar
04-05-2007, 11:29 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HsF8niEGEMQ

Looks like Mr. Erk breaks in his boat in an "unconventional" manner! Footin'.... look what Erk is doing to your boat!!!!! :(

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Looks like Mr. Erk breaks in his boat in an "unconventional" manner! Footin'.... look what Erk is doing to your boat!!!!! :(

Note to self, avoid the red one.

Sodar
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Note to self, avoid the red one.

Tell you what, the Bote Salesman had better not drive my new one that way!!! :D

TMCNo1
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
The manual says the first hour: keep it under 2,00RPM & a Light Load, The next five hours keep it under 4,000 RPMs and vary the engine speed The final ten hours full speed for 2 to 3 minutes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The answer to your question!

sanjuan23
04-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Tell you what, the Bote Salesman had better not drive my new one that way!!! :D

I thought the exact same thing...:o

Jkelly
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
We use to do that in a buddy's 190, we called it a batman, but we were not happy until we made water come in over the windshield.
I tried it once in my 197 to so a friend how it was done, but forgot I have an open bow. The next thing I noticed was water up to the top of the sits and the empty beer cans floating around. My buddy looks at me and says lets not try that again.