PDA

View Full Version : Think I got my carb problem figured out, but don't know how to fix

hz900
04-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Upon suggestions my other thread, I adjusted the float screws and the boat started running fine. then I set the mixture screws and noticed that I had to screw them in to almost only a half turn out before the engine would cut out and it was idling at ~900 RPM. So I figure it is sucking air from somewhere and I feel around the carb while the engine is running and I feel air blowing out around where the base plate and the intake manifold meet. I scrapped all the old gasket off both base plate and manifold before I reinstalled with new gasket and just retorqued the nuts down and still have air coming out there. This can't be right, and am looking for suggestions on how to fix, aside from taking it off and using RTV to help it seal.

If I have to get another base plate because of warpage, Can I get one at a local parts store, because it has the spot for the hose going to the pcv valve on it, and a generic spacer plate usually does not.

BTW I used generic Mr. Gasket holley 4 barrell gaskets from the local parts store for the base plate.

Hoosier Bob
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Air should not come out? You can spray WD 40 around the base and see if anything changes like accellerate etc... Do not load up on the WD you will notice rather quickly. I do not get how a breeze would be felt when it should be drawing air in. How many turns out are your mixture screws?

HB

Hoosier Bob
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Double post! How the heck?

Monte
04-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Double post! How the heck?
POST HO!!!!!!!;) :rolleyes: :D

hz900
04-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Air should not come out? You can spray WD 40 around the base and see if anything changes like accellerate etc... Do not load up on the WD you will notice rather quickly. I do not get how a breeze would be felt when it should be drawing air in. How many turns out are your mixture screws?

HB

I was thinking the same thing, but it did feel like it was blowing out rather than sucking in. Is there something else in this area that might be blowing air that made it feel like it was coming from the base plate?

The engine was idling smooth, aside from a slightly fast idle, and throttle respose was normal, with the slight hesitation that is notorious from the 4010, but I've learned the tricks to cope with it so I don't really mind.

Hoosier Bob
04-05-2007, 01:56 AM
I have no idea other than air/wind coming from the belts/alternator. If not "sucking" I would assume from a non-threatening source. Others on here may know. The hesitation is something I have managed out somewhat with the airscrews. Roll into the throttle but do not dump. Some stonger pumps would most likely cure the jump in air without fuel. Fun carb to play with and looks awesome as well!:D

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 02:03 AM
So let me get this straight. The 4010 is sucking? Sorry, Bob, couldn't resist. It's a carb for someone who knows how to work on them. That person is not me.

I will say this. The first time out with the new carb, when I was able to jump in the water and not have to listen to my wife complain about how she couldn't take the slack out of the rope without the boat sputtering and dying was a great day.

That said, those 4010s will hit like a ton of bricks when all is right.

I'm going back to my popcorn.

WilliM1940
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM
This 4010 seems to be sucking and blowing!

TMCNo1
04-05-2007, 11:42 AM
This 4010 seems to be sucking and blowing!

I wonder how long it took for it to come out of the closet?

mrG
04-10-2007, 09:08 AM
With the spacer removed you may see a small port off to the starboard side of the manifold. This allows a small amount of exhaust pressure to be ported out into a different type of spacer. I"m not sure why it's there. Since it's a Ford manifold it may be for automobile applications; maybe for heating or emmissions?. The Indmar set up has a different spacer that does not use this feature. This is the reason that you must purchase the correct gasket for this installation. The flange gaskets I found at the auto parts stores will fit the Holley but the gasket doesn't have the the little piece off to the side to block this exhaust port like the marine gasket.

hz900
04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
With the spacer removed you may see a small port off to the starboard side of the manifold. This allows a small amount of exhaust pressure to be ported out into a different type of spacer. I"m not sure why it's there. Since it's a Ford manifold it may be for automobile applications; maybe for heating or emmissions?. The Indmar set up has a different spacer that does not use this feature. This is the reason that you must purchase the correct gasket for this installation. The flange gaskets I found at the auto parts stores will fit the Holley but the gasket doesn't have the the little piece off to the side to block this exhaust port like the marine gasket.

This makes sense, because everyone I talked to that is has carb knowledge looks at me like ***, but they all work on cars.

So where did you buy the gasket that is correct? The local MC dealer is about as useful as a $3 bill if you know what I mean. If they can't hook a computer up to it, they don't know how to fix it.

Hoosier Bob
04-11-2007, 11:03 PM
First off this thread has become very funny thanks to Doug and others! Secondly I can't remember secondly! Oh yea, HZ900? Kawi, 76 or what?:confused:

mrG
04-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Quote: So where did you buy the gasket that is correct? The local MC dealer is about as useful as a $3 bill if you know what I mean. If they can't hook a computer up to it, they don't know how to fix it.

I bought mine at a local marine shop in Dallas. If I was smart I would have ordered it at the same time I ordered the renew kit form skidim; around $4. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0054B