PDA

View Full Version : How to tow a Nautique?

Rickkirch
04-04-2007, 04:59 PM
OK I was wondering. I just bought a 2006 X-1 and I can't wait to get it wet. The problem is... my brother just bought a classic '85 Barefoot Nautique and he is giving me grief on CorrectCraftfan.com. So I have one question for you guys.... Where should I tie up to his BFN when he needs a tow? I don't want to pull the cleats out of his Nautique.

Sodar
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, since it is a Nautique and will most likely spend more time being towed, than running, I would build a nice, beefy tow eye... just for good measure!! ;) :D

captain planet
04-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Get a great big nylon strap and wrap it around the entire boat and feed it back through the loop in the end of the strap and pull tight....but be careful, if you get too much pressure on the windshield it will pull it right off the boat since their windshields are not through bolted. :D

You'll want to be sure to keep it in deep water because if it drags bottom you may rip off the tracking fins since they are not through bolted.

Oh wait, it may bend the strut as well since it only has 4 bolts on it instead of the 8 bolts found on MasterCraft boats.

You may want to also keep a roll of the appropriate color tape handy. You see, correct craft uses tape to cover the sloppy job they do where their different gelcoat colors come together. So when you tow him back to the dock and he has no reverse he will hit the dock thus scuffing the tape on the side of the boat and it will need to be replaced.

Oh and another thing.....since he will probably need to replace his engine he will have to find new lag screws that are a little bigger than the original ones. You see, correct craft uses lag screws to mount their engines instead of using drilled and tapped stainless plates molded into the stringers. So when the lag screws come out, they will never be as tight as they were originally so he will have to get slightly larger ones.

I have some more ideas, but I feel I have gone on more than appropriate.

Danimal
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
HAHA You will most likely will only be able to tie off to anything that is still above water.

PendO
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
well, I enjoyed getting towed in last fall in our MC when the fuel pump died, thankfully there was a neighbors I/O out on the water, and he even shared the beer in his cooler :)

RexDog1
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
.....................................:noface: why?:confused:

trickskier
04-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Throw him a paddle and tell him you'll be back to check on his progress AFTER you're through skiing at the end of the day.......You have better things to do than tow CC back to the ramp...........:uglyhamme

Monte
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Tie up to his ear and tell him to hang on;):)

roddydog
04-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Cwutuhmeen?

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Jump in the water and dive under his boat, unwrap the tow rope that is wrapped around his prop, throw the rope in your boat and take off... Give the unwraped rope from his prop to Toober Tom as a Birthday present.... Tom will love you for the rest of his life...:D
End of story

roddydog
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Is it Rick K Rich.

Or Kirk K kirch

Or Hoo Syer Bob??

88 PS190
04-05-2007, 01:04 AM
ha ha the whole question is enjoyable because before I met our neighbor I saw them toe their Nautique in 3 times.

Ran out of fuel

Fuel Pump

then I think the tether switch died.

Can happen to anyone, but just more fun when you see its a nautique.

rodltg2
04-05-2007, 01:22 AM
i maybe wrong but didnt 85' mc's use pcm motors , same as the nautiques????

Ric
04-05-2007, 09:09 AM
probably the best way to tow a nautique is on a trailer

trickskier
04-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Best answer so far!!!

OhioProstar
04-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I had the starter go 20 miles from the ramp in Cumberland. Not fun regardless of the boat brand. I stop for all boats that look in distress.

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I had the starter go 20 miles from the ramp in Cumberland. Not fun regardless of the boat brand. I stop for all boats that look in distress.

Agreed. I've towed lots of folks in. The last one I helped was a 99 Sportstar. Nobody is immune and I'm counting on karma.

ski_king
04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I have been towed by a CC before when I had a dead battery.

I have also towed most every brand out the including a MasterCraft.
I have been towed by a MC when I was driving a CC also.

Now for a threadjack.
I have accepted a tow from a wally before that didnt have a clue on how to tow and seemed to think it is ok to tow at cruising speed. Now that is not fun.

What speed to you tow at or like to be towed?
I try to tow (and like to be towed) at less than 10 mph, just a little more than idle.

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I have been towed by a CC before when I had a dead battery.

I have also towed most every brand out the including a MasterCraft.
I have been towed by a MC when I was driving a CC also.

Now for a threadjack.
I have accepted a tow from a wally before that didnt have a clue on how to tow and seemed to think it is ok to tow at cruising speed. Now that is not fun.

What speed to you tow at or like to be towed?
I try to tow (and like to be towed) at less than 10 mph, just a little more than idle.

I tow at just above idle. No one has ever complained. :)

yzwiley
04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
https://www.my-big-toe.com/catalognew/images/Discover350.jpg

trickskier
04-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Agreed. I've towed lots of folks in. The last one I helped was a 99 Sportstar. Nobody is immune and I'm counting on karma.
Now wait a minute...............I thought we were just teasing here......I've never left anyone on the water that was in distress......Geez, do we always have to be politically correct???:rolleyes:

Datdude
04-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Even on the trailer you have to be careful.....the wheels may fall off. This picture is of my buddies 2003 SN 196 and the trailer has less than 1000 miles on it. He was driving to the launch last Fall to pull the boat out and the trailer tire passed his truck. Luckily he had a tandem axle trailer:cool:

rodltg2
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
moderators 1 - 2 - 3 - & 4 !!!! thats not an mc.!!!!

please remove this pic, its hurtin my eyes......

dont make me post my wakecraft pics :D

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Now wait a minute...............I thought this we were just teasing here......I've never left anyone on the water that was in distress......Geez, do we always have to be politically correct???:rolleyes:

I said I was "counting on karma" as in I've helped them out and I'm hoping when it's my day, they'll help me. Why does it always have to be about you. ;)

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM

How did I know that was coming Rod:D

Datdude
04-05-2007, 01:36 PM

The name is all covered up...............if I didn't say it was a CC you would never be able to tell. I wasn't talking about the boat anyways....I was talking about the trailer......which doesn't count:uglyhamme

X2M
04-05-2007, 01:40 PM

I agree with you also. We have towed in alot of boats and even a couple of jetskis. Alot of the people have offered us money to pay for the gas used in the tow. We always say no and suggest they give a tow to someone in need when they are out as payment.

You never know when you will be the boat needing a tow.

:twocents:

RexDog1
04-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Look I am getting sick of threads that open the door to make fun of other boats
I think we all can remember the wakecraft thread???

We all are better than this..

Jumping off my Soapbox

And if you have a problem with what I am saying ……..Just PM me and we can talk……..:mad:

cbryan70
04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I have been towed in by a 20 hp fishing boat before. Needless to say he though full throttle was the correct speed. That was no fun. Damn points and condenser went out on me

M-Funf
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I fastest I'd be willing to tow or be towed is just above idle. I think the drag increases quite a bit above that until you get on plane, so the risk would be pretty high...

The last time I was towed in was in my old Tahiti. That boat was so light that I just had them throw me a handle. I sat on the bow and braced myself and they towed me slow...no problem. :rolleyes:

TRBenj
04-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Even on the trailer you have to be careful.....the wheels may fall off. This picture is of my buddies 2003 SN 196 and the trailer has less than 1000 miles on it. He was driving to the launch last Fall to pull the boat out and the trailer tire passed his truck. Luckily he had a tandem axle trailer

Just FYI, CC doesnt build trailers.

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 04:54 PM

The man has a point there.

Datdude
04-05-2007, 05:53 PM

I know that.....I think it is a Ramlin Trailer......but it still has a big N on it:rolleyes:

On a side note....I was not ripping on CC's. I was simply showing what kind of problem a fellow towboat owner encountered

dmayer84
04-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I know that.....I think it is a Ramlin Trailer......but it still has a big N on it:rolleyes:

On a side note....I was not ripping on CC's. I was simply showing what kind of problem a fellow towboat owner encountered

Its not Ramlin, Eagle if IIRC.