PDA

View Full Version : Becoming "greener": Gas-Saving Solutions?

Sodar
04-04-2007, 01:27 AM
On Monday, I joined a vanpool! I am far from a tree-hugger, but made the decision for a few reasons:

1. I was tired of my 80 mile commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
2. My gas bill was getting a bit high. (Now, I have more $$$ to spend on boat gas)
3. My car mileage was growing exponentially!! (About 14,000 miles since October)
4. My company pays for my vanpool, because they want to become "greener." So my transportation to and from work costs me nothing!
5. I love the fact that someone else drives, so I can sleep, work, or read during the 3 hour commute.

Anybody else doing anything to lower their gas bill and become "greener"??

erkoehler
04-04-2007, 01:33 AM
In order to be greener, I always shut off the 8.1L engines while explaining the other options on the boats during test drives.

JKTX21
04-04-2007, 01:36 AM
In order to be greener, I always shut off the 8.1L engines while explaining the other options on the boats during test drives.

Thanks Erk, funniest thing I've seen all day.

I wish my work would do something like this. I have put 40K miles on my truck in the last year with an average of 90-100 miles per day for work... I gotta switch jobs!

Doug G
04-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks Erk, funniest thing I've seen all day.

I wish my work would do something like this. I have put 40K miles on my truck in the last year with an average of 90-100 miles per day for work... I gotta switch jobs!

Amen. At 102 miles to and from the office not counting customer visits, the Durango is eating me out of house and home! I would much rather guzzle the gas in the boat!

PendO
04-04-2007, 02:46 AM
If I had a 3 hour commute I would jump off a bridge!

On Monday, I joined a vanpool! I am far from a tree-hugger, but made the decision for a few reasons:

2. My gas bill was getting a bit high. (Now, I have more $$$ to spend on boat gas)
3. My car mileage was growing exponentially!! (About 14,000 miles since October)
4. My company pays for my vanpool, because they want to become "greener." So my transportation to and from work costs me nothing!
5. I love the fact that someone else drives, so I can sleep, work, or read during the 3 hour commute.

sizzler
04-04-2007, 03:38 AM
i will re-spray my black car to a nice shade of green ....this should help my conscience.......:D

Chief
04-04-2007, 07:01 AM
I only live eight miles from the base, when I was in San Diego I lived about 30 miles and swore I would never live that far out again.

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 07:38 AM
If I had a 3 hour commute I would jump off a bridge!

That's exactly what I was thinking. 3 Hours Cam, are you serious?

If I spent 6 hours a day inside a vehicle just getting to and from work I have no idea how long it would be, but it sure as hell would not take long to either move or find a new job,

jimmer2880
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I drive 120 a day. Been looking at vanpool, etc. But, I'd end up with about a 1 mile walk. Not good (I'm lazy & in a hurry). Not to mention, my work schedule is never the same from 1 day to the next.

So, I switched from my 15 mpg truck to my 19mpg Jeep Wrangler. Does that qualify as being greener?:D

suedv
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Rick drives a little Pontiac Sunbird around town instead of his truck. It saves a lot of $$$.

We did another "green thing" that isn't related to our vehicles. We changed out all our regular light bulbs to compact flourecents. They give a lot of light and use a lot less electricity.

dmayer84
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I switched from a VW Jetta to a Silverado. At least I didnt get ont of those Prius's that does more damage than a hummer.

Jkelly
04-04-2007, 10:08 AM

I also have a 175 mile commute (round trip) and have been looking for ways to save $$$ for gas in the boat. Van pools don't work for me due to my schedule.
I recently purchased a Banks Power Pack programmer system for my Dodge Diesel, because they said it would increase my fuel Ecomony by 2-3 MPGs. WRONG!!!! There was a problem with the program when I got it so they had to send me a new wiring harness. So I had to run the truck with just the new intake and exhaust. I got about a 1 MPG increase. When I got the programer working it went down .4 MPG in the ecomony mode. So I netted .6 MPG for $ 2,500. Good move on my part. :mad:
I just wanted to vent.

sanjuan23
04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Rick drives a little Pontiac Sunbird around town instead of his truck. It saves a lot of $$$.

We did another "green thing" that isn't related to our vehicles. We changed out all our regular light bulbs to compact flourecents. They give a lot of light and use a lot less electricity.

Sue I haven't had the time yet to research this but a friend of mine was telling me that those florescent bulbs contain a pretty high amount of mercury.

Leroy
04-04-2007, 10:18 AM
And I've been complaining about my 25 mile, 35 minutes each way commute!

I try to take my wife's van as often as possible as it gets almost double the mileage of my Lexus.

Like Sue I changed out all the bulbs in the house to fluorescent. I do notice a significant savings in year over year light bills.

chudson
04-04-2007, 10:19 AM
SOAP BOX:
I am not an Al Gore fan but you need to watch "Inconvieniant Truth". It's really good and being shown on HBO I think. Wanna try being GREEN, watch this!!!

14 mile round trip to work for me!!!

cmack
04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
We try to do things to help also.
Converted to compact flourecents also. I love the fact they start out low in the am then build up. So I don't get blinded in the am trying to find the toilet.
I also have a long drive to work. About 90+miles. I bought a VW Jetta Turbo Diesel it gets almost 50 mpg I can pull 550 miles out of a tank (11gals). I know gas is cleaner than diesel but I get 2-3 times more mileage out of it. That has to be better. I usually get funny looks at the diesel pumps.
I would rather put the gas in the boat also.
JKTX21 -- Just wondering where you live/work. I'm in Burleson and work in Las Colinas.

I really wish I could find some carpool to get to/from work.

My company does have flex work and I can work from home two days a week

Tap
04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I switched a large number of incandescent bulbs in our house to the flourescent kind. The greatest benefit has been the removal of heat generated by the incandescent bulbs. Three lamps in the small breakfast nook can raise the temperature in there noticeably, but not with the flourescent bulbs.

Sodar
04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. 3 Hours Cam, are you serious?

If I spent 6 hours a day inside a vehicle just getting to and from work I have no idea how long it would be, but it sure as hell would not take long to either move or find a new job,

45 minutes to work in the morning and between 2-2.5 hours home at night... I should have specified that 3 hours is round trip!!

jmac197
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
The "green" flourescent bulbs may become more of a problem than they are solving....

From the website http://www.worldwise.com/recfluorlig.html

"Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury. The standard fluorescent lamp contains approximately 20 milligrams of mercury. While there are no known health hazards from exposure to lamps that are intact, improper disposal of fluorescent lamps can contaminate the environment. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that over 800 million lamps are produced each year to replace 800 million lamps that are then disposed. Since 1 gram of mercury is enough to contaminate a 2-acre pond, there is enough mercury in those lamps to contaminate 20 million acres of water"

I guess to every good there is a bad.....Personally I don't like the color of the light. I haven't tried one in a while, maybe they've changed for the better.

O2BESOHUGE
04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Answer = Sport Bike

I Get About 180 Miles On My Honda Cbr600rr And It Costs Me About $6...PLUS ITS FUN!!!

O2

captain planet
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm with Sue on this one. We have started to switch our bulbs at our house with compact flourescents.

I drive 25 miles each way for work. Took over my wife's 2001 Ford Focus which gets 31 mpg on the highway. Not great but better than 17 highway from the Suburban. Someone on the "Hummer greener...." thread mentioned a VW with a TDI in it. I have been researching this option and am pretty convinced this will be my next vehicle in a couple of years when the Focus dies, unless something else comes along that gets better than 43-50 mpg like the TDI.

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
The "green" flourescent bulbs may become more of a problem than they are solving....

From the website http://www.worldwise.com/recfluorlig.html

"Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury. The standard fluorescent lamp contains approximately 20 milligrams of mercury. While there are no known health hazards from exposure to lamps that are intact, improper disposal of fluorescent lamps can contaminate the environment. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that over 800 million lamps are produced each year to replace 800 million lamps that are then disposed. Since 1 gram of mercury is enough to contaminate a 2-acre pond, there is enough mercury in those lamps to contaminate 20 million acres of water"

I guess to every good there is a bad.....Personally I don't like the color of the light. I haven't tried one in a while, maybe they've changed for the better.

On the good side, I believe there is a way to recycle them so the mercury is not released on the environment. I think there is also a planned reduction in mercury content as of this month. We're just beginning the switch at our house as well.

JKTX21
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Answer = Sport Bike

I Get About 180 Miles On My Honda Cbr600rr And It Costs Me About $6...PLUS ITS FUN!!!

O2

O2B, Sweet bike, I had an 05 just like it! But now I have the boat, so I can't say I'm too sad.

Ric
04-04-2007, 12:05 PM

Anybody else doing anything to lower their gas bill and become "greener"?? I think you just became leaner and as a result you are a bit greener.

Thank you Sodar, this leaves room for me to enlarge my carbon footprint and I do appreciate that!

Ric
04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
On the good side, I believe there is a way to recycle them so the mercury is not released on the environment. I think there is also a planned reduction in mercury content as of this month. We're just beginning the switch at our house as well. anybody know the proper disposal method?

Sodar
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I think you just became leaner and as a result you are a bit greener.

Thank you Sodar, this leaves room for me to enlarge my carbon footprint and I do appreciate that!

Ya Know Ric.... my life goal is to help you out!!! :D :D

Unfortunately, since I am reducing my footprint on a daily basis, I will be increasing my footprint over the weekend!!! :woohoo:

captain planet
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
anybody know the proper disposal method?
What do I do with a CFL when it burns out? What is the proper disposal of a CFL bulb?
Follow these guidelines to dispose your CFL properly:

Like paint, batteries, thermostats, and other hazardous household items, CFLs should be disposed of properly. Do not throw CFLs away in your household garbage if better disposal options exist. To find out what to do first check www.earth911.org (where you can find disposal options by using your zip code) or call 1-877-EARTH911 for local disposal options. Another option is to check directly with your local waste management agency for recycling options and disposal guidelines in your community. Additional information is available at www.lamprecycle.org. Finally, IKEA stores take back used CFLs, and other retailers are currently exploring take back programs.
If your local waste management agency offers no other disposal options except your household garbage, place the CFL in a plastic bag and seal it before putting it in the trash. If your waste agency incinerates its garbage, you should search a wider geographic area for proper disposal options. Never send a CFL or other mercury containing product to an incinerator.
ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs have a two-year warranty. If the bulb fails within the warranty period, return it to your retailer.

cmack
04-04-2007, 12:19 PM
ISomeone on the "Hummer greener...." thread mentioned a VW with a TDI in it. I have been researching this option and am pretty convinced this will be my next vehicle in a couple of years when the Focus dies, unless something else comes along that gets better than 43-50 mpg like the TDI.

That was me and my "lil stinker" You can pm me if you have any questions about it - 2003 Jetta TDI. VW has a TDI option for every car in their lineup. It went 80k on factory tires. It has 95k on it now and never needed anything besides oil change and h20 seperator

Ric
04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks, but I am not going to a place named earth911 for anything

that would be like going to the dixie chicks for foreign policy advice

Knowing that there are options to properly dispose of chemicals.. that's good, I am willing to make the effort...

What do I do with a CFL when it burns out? What is the proper disposal of a CFL bulb?
Follow these guidelines to dispose your CFL properly:

Like paint, batteries, thermostats, and other hazardous household items, CFLs should be disposed of properly. Do not throw CFLs away in your household garbage if better disposal options exist. To find out what to do first check www.earth911.org (http://www.earth911.org) (where you can find disposal options by using your zip code) or call 1-877-EARTH911 for local disposal options. Another option is to check directly with your local waste management agency for recycling options and disposal guidelines in your community. Additional information is available at www.lamprecycle.org (http://www.lamprecycle.org). Finally, IKEA stores take back used CFLs, and other retailers are currently exploring take back programs.
If your local waste management agency offers no other disposal options except your household garbage, place the CFL in a plastic bag and seal it before putting it in the trash. If your waste agency incinerates its garbage, you should search a wider geographic area for proper disposal options. Never send a CFL or other mercury containing product to an incinerator.
ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs have a two-year warranty. If the bulb fails within the warranty period, return it to your retailer.

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
45 minutes to work in the morning and between 2-2.5 hours home at night... I should have specified that 3 hours is round trip!!

Well that is certainly better. Whew....

Sodar
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Well that is certainly better. Whew....

It is better, but what would be even better is if they put me on the project 5 minutes from home, like they told me they would when they were recruiting me!!! No, I am not bitter or anything!!! :mad: :mad:

Monte
04-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Flowmaster exhaust and K&N air filters will help gas mileage AND increase HP....

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 12:57 PM
It is better, but what would be even better is if they put me on the project 5 minutes from home, like they told me they would when they were recruiting me!!! No, I am not bitter or anything!!! :mad: :mad:

Oh I remember now. Your "should I suck it up thread"

Looks like your still sucking it up eh?

captain planet
04-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Knowing that there are options to properly dispose of chemicals.. that's good, I am willing to make the effort...
Awww, c'mon Ric, it won't hurt a bit I promis! 8p

If you like I can disguise the link for you and call it something else so you get where you need to go for the info, but won't have that "dirty" feeling of clicking on www.earth911.org. ;)

Sodar
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh I remember now. Your "should I suck it up thread"

Looks like your still sucking it up eh?

Yeah.... its only a 27 month project, then I will have a little experience under my belt to move into what I REALLY want to do and what I really want to do will hopefully be done out of an office of my chosing, with me being "the big cheese"! ;)

Ric
04-04-2007, 01:09 PM

If you like I can disguise the link for you and call it something else so you get where you need to go for the info, but won't have that "dirty" feeling of clicking on www.earth911.org (http://www.earth911.org). ;) hahahhaa

you go click it twice for me ok

I don't frequent the NRA site, but I bet even there the facts are more accurate than a place named "earth911"

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 01:25 PM

If you like I can disguise the link for you and call it something else so you get where you need to go for the info, but won't have that "dirty" feeling of clicking on www.earth911.org. ;)

And he's a Buckeye..... GO FIGURE8p :rolleyes:

pkskier
04-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I also have began switching to compact flourescent. The first ones that I bought were not soft white and the light reminded me of the lights in the resorts in Mexico. I have a 140 mile round trip commute to and from work each day, but I have a company F250 diesel and they pay for the fuel.

River Rat
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Some one sent this to me the other day.....don't know if it is acurate, I copied it from excel. so it didn't transfer good

Old Traditional Incandescent New Low Energy Fluorescent Ratio New/Old Savings New vs. Old
Price per bulb**, $ $0.47 $1.66 353% -$1.19
Light output per bulb, lumens 630 630 100% 0
Power per bulb, W 60 13 22% 47
Rated life of bulb, hrs 1500 8000 533%

Comparison (life of traditional bulb) 1500 hours
Total number of bulbs needed 4 4 100% 0
Total purchase cost, $ $1.88 $6.64 353% -$4.76
Total power used, kwh 360 78 22% 282
Total power cost, $ $50.40 $10.92 22% $39.48
Total Cost, $ $52.28 $17.56 34% $34.72

Comparison (life of low energy bulb) 8000 hours (Note one year is 8760 hrs)
Total number of bulbs needed 21.3 4 19% 17.3
Total purchase cost, $ $10.03 $16.00 160% -$5.97
Total power used, kwh 1920 416 22% 1504
Total power cost, $ $268.80 $58.24 22% $210.56
Total Cost, $ $278.83 $74.24 27% $204.59

Benefits of low energy bulbs:
Probably the highest return on investment you can make
Higher reliability and less effort because many fewer light bulb changes needed
Good for environment because lower energy reduces emissions and greenhouse gas production
Disadvantages:
They take a few seconds to warm up to full brightness
They are not suitable to be used with dimmer switches
Cost Basis:
* Reliant Energy standard rate for Dec 2006
** Jan 2007, Lowes Hardware, 4 pack SylvaniaTM bulbs & 6 pack of Bright EffectsTM fluorescent

captain planet
04-04-2007, 01:55 PM
And he's a Buckeye..... GO FIGURE8p :rolleyes:
Now, now. Let's all play nice. You dont' have to get all fussy just because LLLLLLoyd Carr can't beat Mr. Tressel and the Buckeyes.8p ;)

Sorry for the thread-jack.

Ric
04-04-2007, 01:59 PM
ya know, I used to get those flourescent curly-cue bulbs really cheap before they were all the rage... I didnt know I was saving the planet, I thought they looked cool and they were excellent lifespan in the outdoor light fixtures at my old house

now, you dont getem cheap no mo! kinda like ethanol and a gallon of milk right? ahhhh economics

Leroy
04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I agree with that River Rat.

I calculated about $50-$60 change in electric bill and about what I see with the fluorescent. Quick payback and for summer less heat you have to remove.

captain planet
04-04-2007, 02:13 PM
ya know, I used to get those flourescent curly-cue bulbs really cheap before they were all the rage... I didnt know I was saving the planet, I thought they looked cool and they were excellent lifespan in the outdoor light fixtures at my old house

now, you dont getem cheap no mo! kinda like ethanol and a gallon of milk right? ahhhh economics
See that Ric, you were green before it was cool and you didn't even know it!! Your like an environmental pioneer and you don't even know it!

You should be proud!

Maristar210
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Now, now. Let's all play nice. You dont' have to get all fussy just because LLLLLLoyd Carr can't beat Mr. Tressel and the Buckeyes.8p ;)

Sorry for the thread-jack.

Alright but just til Septemebr okay?

flyingskibiker
04-04-2007, 05:22 PM
energy efficient appliances when buying new.
keep vehicles tuned up and lubed up.
separate my garbage.
but the only green thing added to or used on my vehicles is money to pay for the dang gas...

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 05:39 PM
hahahhaa

you go click it twice for me ok

I don't frequent the NRA site, but I bet even there the facts are more accurate than a place named "earth911"

Here ya go, Ric. We got a place that'll take 'em in Texas.

Earth Protection Services, Inc. [National]
3916 Gattis School Road, Suite 112
ROUND ROCK, TX 78664
Phone: (602) 353-9282
Days/Hours: Please call for hours of operation.

Web Link: http://www.earthpro.com

Location Notes: This site is a member of the Association of Lighting and Mercury Recyclers. Please call 800-414-0443 or visit the website for a detailed listing of materials that are accepted or to arrange for pick-up or mail in service.
Materials Collected / Services Offered:
Batteries:
NiCad Batteries
Other Batteries
Rechargeable Batteries (non-NiCad)
Single-use Batteries
Electronics:
Computer Monitors
Computer Recycling This site accepts circuit boards, computer components, and peripherals.
Electronics
Household Hazardous Waste:
Fluorescent Bulbs This site accepts fluorescent light bulbs and ballasts.
Reuse:
Cell phone and Equipment Reuse/Recycle

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Does anyone see the irony. A boating enthusiasts web site talking about going green and carbon footprints. I thought we polluted the air and waterways.:confused:

:steering: :wavey:

Ric
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I wonder how much fuel I will burn driving from here to Round Rock and back to drop off my evil bulbs and ballasts?

Sodar
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Does anyone see the irony. A boating enthusiasts web site talking about going green and carbon footprints. I thought we polluted the air and waterways.:confused:

YUP!!! I gotta be honest though, for the majority of the nation, the environment does not talk, but $$$$ does!!! When gas is $3.50 a gallon, habits start to change!!

Ric
04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
YUP!!! I gotta be honest though, for the majority of the nation, the environment does not talk, but $$$$ does!!! When gas is $3.50 a gallon, habits start to change!! Free Market Economy .

Leroy
04-04-2007, 07:46 PM
SPeaking for myself pollute only this message board!

I think most people on here do care about mother earth, it just isn't obvious or easy to know what to do and what really has an impact.

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2007, 07:56 PM

I think most people on here do care about mother earth, it just isn't obvious or easy to know what to do and what really has an impact.

For me, I have resolved to only crank on the house heat when it goes below 30*F in April....:rolleyes:

Leroy
04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
And snowing! Can you believe this!

For me, I have resolved to only crank on the house heat when it goes below 30*F in April....:rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Well stated Leroy, I believe recreational boaters are squarely in the cross hairs of such groups as the sierra club and the blue water folks. All you need to do is look at what they did with the PWC guys on federal reservoirs I think it would be naive to think the rest of us have nothing to worry about. They made no distinction between 2 stroke and 4 stroke pwc's when they talked some idiot on the 9th circuit to allow the ban. What you stated about what really has an impact is so true. When mt st Helen's erupted it put more particulate in the air in that single event than all the plants in north America do in a year?

I guess I'm turned off by the Chicken Little approach (the sky is falling the sky is falling) by the media concerning environmental issues. Every new generation thinks they have it all figured out. We are still in the infancy of our knowledge of this planet IMHO.

That is all I have, now back to sarcastic, useless and mind numbing postings. ;) :D :rolleyes:

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=TX.X-30 fan]Well stated Leroy, I believe recreational boaters are squarely in the cross hairs of such groups as the sierra club and the blue water folks. All you need to do is look at what they did with the PWC guys on federal reservoirs I think it would be naive to think the rest of us have nothing to worry about. They made no distinction between 2 stroke and 4 stroke pwc's when they talked some idiot on the 9th circuit to allow the ban. What you stated about what really has an impact is so true. When mt st Helen's erupted it put more particulate in the air in that single event than all the plants in north America do in a year?

I guess I'm turned off by the Chicken Little approach (the sky is falling the sky is falling) by the media concerning environmental issues. Every new generation thinks they have it all figured out. We are still in the infancy of our knowledge of this planet IMHO.

That is all I have, now back to sarcastic, useless and mind numbing postings.

Well put, I think we all can recognize a couple of things we can all do to help out with these issues, global warming and pollution. These are issues we need to all care about for our future generations..

This summer I pledge not to spill any more needless ice cold beer in Lake Tippecanoe, I am on the bandwagon....:D :rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
I wonder how much fuel I will burn driving from here to Round Rock and back to drop off my evil bulbs and ballasts?

We go through there so often as it is, it didn't seem like too much of a chore. Keep burning those 100 watt floods if it suits you. I used to be Reliant's biatch, too. TXU isn't much better. That electric bill is going to start crawling up. So if I can spend some money on the front end and do better in the long run, I'll give it a try.

What's more, those fluorescent guys are a bit cheaper on ebay. I think I'll shoot for one room per month.

As for the irony, this is my moderation like the four banger I drive when I don't have to pull the boat.

suedv
04-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I work for an environmental organization. I've really learned to understand and appreciate that when we make an effort our choices can make good economic sense, they can provide a good lifestyle, and we can do things that are good for the environment.

I’ll admit our family does things that have an environmental impact. We like our boat with a motor, we have a truck to pull our boat and camping trailer, we have plenty of things that use electricity, but we also deliberately do things to take care of the earth.

We have small to mid-sized cars, as we replace appliances we buy high efficiency models, we keep our house cool in the winter, our family uses public transportation when we can, we live in the city so we are fairly close to our jobs, I use composted organic materials on my gardens for fertilizer, I get my soil tested so I only apply chemicals to my lawn as needed, we like hiking and natural recreation...

Like I see with other people on this forum, I think it is really important to find a balance.

Ric
04-05-2007, 08:57 AM
We go through there so often as it is, it didn't seem like too much of a chore. Keep burning those 100 watt floods if it suits you. I used to be Reliant's biatch, too. TXU isn't much better. That electric bill is going to start crawling up. So if I can spend some money on the front end and do better in the long run, I'll give it a try.

What's more, those fluorescent guys are a bit cheaper on ebay. I think I'll shoot for one room per month.

As for the irony, this is my moderation like the four banger I drive when I don't have to pull the boat. I am all for buying efficient products and products that pollute less, but I don't like to give up anything for it.

Like sue, I'll replace the appliances etc with high efficiency models BUT I don't want to pay double for them either.

I don't want my house to be lit in a nice green hue simply so I can have efficient bulbs inside ya know?

AND, I put about 20-30k miles per year on a vehicle these days (it used to be 50 or more per year for me). This includes weekly towing of the boat and some work related towing. That's why I was so disappointed when GM came up with that 3.42 gear on a TRUCK with a 5.3 motor..... It will get groceries fine, but that's not why I buy a TRUCK.

I say make all the "green" trucks you want to, but tell people straight up what you are doing... Don't run ads all nite on tv about POWER and PAYLOAD and WORK and all this tough talk and then fall over each other in attempt to manufacture a more fuel efficient dual fuel,nofuel, generator whatever is next type of design.... See how many they buy then....

Like I said, those curly bulbs used to be cheaper and I liked them for outside use.. Hell all the neighbors may have begun to think I was some kinda environmentalist:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I am all for buying efficient products and products that pollute less, but I don't like to give up anything for it.

Like sue, I'll replace the appliances etc with high efficiency models BUT I don't want to pay double for them either.

I don't want my house to be lit in a nice green hue simply so I can have efficient bulbs inside ya know?

AND, I put about 20-30k miles per year on a vehicle these days (it used to be 50 or more per year for me). This includes weekly towing of the boat and some work related towing. That's why I was so disappointed when GM came up with that 3.42 gear on a TRUCK with a 5.3 motor..... It will get groceries fine, but that's not why I buy a TRUCK.

I say make all the "green" trucks you want to, but tell people straight up what you are doing... Don't run ads all nite on tv about POWER and PAYLOAD and WORK and all this tough talk and then fall over each other in attempt to manufacture a more fuel efficient dual fuel,nofuel, generator whatever is next type of design.... See how many they buy then....

Like I said, those curly bulbs used to be cheaper and I liked them for outside use.. Hell all the neighbors may have begun to think I was some kinda environmentalist:rolleyes:

Hey, like I said, buy what you want. Make your own decisions. I honestly don't care what anyone else has in his fixtures. My electric bill has doubled in the last three or so years and I'd like to do something to curb it (I'm already nuts about not leaving lights on).

Oh, and as far as the curly ones go, those are only under shades and globes. All that are visible must look like regular light bulbs per my wife's instructions.

Ric
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
oh no I am a chick?

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
oh no I am a chick?

A green chick. And just in time for Easter.

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM

I think I'd rather go to the Dixie Chicks for foreign policy advice than your president.8p Sorry with a comment like that you leave yourself wide open!! Probably not supposed to talk politics on here so I'll start the kindergarden antics and say that you started it!!heheh:D

As for what I'm doing to become greener...

trading in the truck and milage for a project where I live on site.
Moving very far south so that I don't have to heat.
Might go solar and biodiesel... we'll see...
living on the beach front so that I don't have to tow!!!

Really guys I'm moving to Belize for the environment... not for the sun, surf, and warm weather..:D :D :

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
All this "green" talk makes me want to wait until the hottest day of the year to fill up my vehicles, mow my lawn, leave my truck running in the driveway for no reason, use lots of lighter fluid to light the charcoal and smoke a big old cigar while sitting my fat a$$ in the cranked AC drinking a beer:D

Not really, I just felt like sayin that...:D

Ric
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
hhahhaha that's funny to say, but do you really (honestly) think the dixie chicks foreign policy advise is better than MY president or are you just being a hater?8p

I think I'd rather go to the Dixie Chicks for foreign policy advice than your president.8p Sorry with a comment like that you leave yourself wide open!! Probably not supposed to talk politics on here so I'll start the kindergarden antics and say that you started it!!heheh:D

As for what I'm doing to become greener...

trading in the truck and milage for a project where I live on site.
Moving very far south so that I don't have to heat.
Might go solar and biodiesel... we'll see...
living on the beach front so that I don't have to tow!!!

Really guys I'm moving to Belize for the environment... not for the sun, surf, and warm weather.. :

Sodar
04-05-2007, 01:12 PM
hhahhaha that's funny to say, but do you really (honestly) think the dixie chicks foreign policy advise is better than MY president or are you just being a hater?

All I gots ta say is that he came from your state!! Thank heavens 2004 was his last go around. Now we get to deal with Hillary!! :cry: :noface: :mad:

http://republicangear.com/W2004%20Sticker%20New.gif

JKTX21
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
What!? You don't like Curious George?

Here's a question for you, George Bush... Great President, or Greatest President?

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
All I gots ta say is that he came from your state!!

I don't claim him. He was born in New Haven, Connecticut.

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
hhahhaha that's funny to say, but do you really (honestly) think the dixie chicks foreign policy advise is better than MY president or are you just being a hater?8p

I'm not a hater. For the record I like americans!!:D I really shouldn't have gone there... but yes I really think the dixie chicks would have better foreign policy than YOUR president. Now as forest gump would say "that's all I have to say about that!!":D :D

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm not a hater. For the record I like americans!!:D I really shouldn't have gone there... but yes I really think the dixie chicks would have better foreign policy than YOUR president. Now as forest gump would say "that's all I have to say about that!!"

As the canadiens sit back and continue to do nothing:D :D 8p

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
True we haven't invaded any countries and overthrown governments lately!!:D Be a lover not a hater!!

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry to all. I find the comments just funny. I'm not posting on this subject anymore.... go ahead take the last word!!

Sodar
04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
True we haven't invaded any countries and overthrown governments lately!!:D Be a lover not a hater!!

That is no fun!! It is soooo much better to go invade a conutry and overthrow a government for the purpose of "supposedly" finding some weapons that pose an internationa threat, and when we find that there are none, we still stay, because "we cannot pull out now." Canada should really jump on the bandwagon.... Billions spent for no true outcome!!

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Sorry to all. I find the comments just funny. I'm not posting on this subject anymore.... go ahead take the last word!!

I'm just playin too.
Labatt Blue or Molson? hmmmmm?

It's quite a dilemma. Your gonna ned some help with this right?

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
That is no fun!! It is soooo much better to go invade a conutry and overthrow a government for the purpose of "supposedly" finding some weapons that pose an internationa threat, and when we find that there are none, we still stay, because "we cannot pull out now." Canada should really jump on the bandwagon.... Billions spent for no true outcome!!

I heard they were hiding those compact fluorescent lightbulbs from us.

/see what I did there?

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM

It's quite a dilemma. Your gonna ned some help with this right?

You forgot Poland, er uh, I mean Maudite. It's got the devil, it's got a flyin' canoe.

http://www.unibroue.com/images/maudite-medaillon.gif

PendO
04-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not a hater. For the record I like americans!!:D I really shouldn't have gone there... but yes I really think the dixie chicks would have better foreign policy than YOUR president. Now as forest gump would say "that's all I have to say about that!!":D :D

now, those BC boys to the north of me are tough as nails, but I'm not to sure about the French Canadians:)

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
now, those BC boys to the north of me are tough as nails, but I'm not to sure about the French Canadians:)

For the record I'm a born and raised Albertan!! :D

jmac197
04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Hmmmm.......When was the last terrorist attack on American soil? In CONUS and overseas?

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
So weren't we going to talk about biodiesel options with boats and solar panels.:D :rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Hmmmm.......When was the last terrorist attack on American soil? In CONUS and overseas?

BrianM's driveway last night.

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
BrianM's driveway last night.

Thanks that made me laugh!! Sorry Brian!!8p

captain planet
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks that made me laugh!! Sorry Brian!!8p

Glad I could contribute positively to your day (sorry, Brian).

I have a personal policy of not engaging in any political discussions other that to make little cracks here and there.

I have no political affiliation and it's not like anyone ever wins these discussions anyway.

The :popcorn: is good today.

jmac197
04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Sorry about that......Those statements strike a nerve with me.

I'll go back to the sidelines and get some work done.

captain planet
04-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Alright, I just can resist to get in on this. I know some of you on here would rather I keep my mouth shut, but.......I........I.......can't do it.

I want to pose a simple question to those of you on here so resistent to becoming a little more "green". What is so devistating about trying to use a little less? Use less electricity, gas, diesel, natural gas, paper, plastic, etc., etc.? What does it hurt? :confused: What is wrong with recycling? Does it make you a sissy or something?

I work for a company that has a landfill service division so I see all too often all the waste that we produce. It is rediculous. I would guess if you were to see some of the REALLY BIG landfills in Ohio and how a landfill effects everything for miles around, you would change your tune a little. Anyone that lives near Canton Ohio has surely read about Countywide landfill and the HUGE mess they have going on. Rotten garbage odors last summer extended nearly 10 miles from the site!!!!! They have an underground fire going on now. Isn't that great!?

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Alright, I just can resist to get in on this. I know some of you on here would rather I keep my mouth shut, but.......I........I.......can't do it.

I want to pose a simple question to those of you on here so resistent to becoming a little more "green". What is so devistating about trying to use a little less? Use less electricity, gas, diesel, natural gas, paper, plastic, etc., etc.? What does it hurt? :confused: What is wrong with recycling? Does it make you a sissy or something?

I work for a company that has a landfill service division so I see all too often all the waste that we produce. It is rediculous. I would guess if you were to see some of the REALLY BIG landfills in Ohio and how a landfill effects everything for miles around, you would change your tune a little. Anyone that lives near Canton Ohio has surely read about Countywide landfill and the HUGE mess they have going on. Rotten garbage odors last summer extended nearly 10 miles from the site!!!!! They have an underground fire going on now. Isn't that great!?

Thanks Captain!!!
someone had to say it!!;)

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Breathe.....

In through the nose........

Out through the mouth.......

In.......

Out........

R E L A X

I agree btw....

Now where giant can full of CFC's?:D :D

captain planet
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Breathe.....

In through the nose........

Out through the mouth.......

In.......

Out........

R E L A X

I agree btw....

Now where giant can full of CFC's?:D :D
:uglyhamme LOL Gee, could you tell I was a bit tense while typing that?

You know, for a wolverine, your alright. (oh no, did I just type that?)

jraben8
04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
:popcorn: Someone pass the butter... :popcorn:

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm not a hater. For the record I like americans!!:D I really shouldn't have gone there... but yes I really think the dixie chicks would have better foreign policy than YOUR president. Now as forest gump would say "that's all I have to say about that!!":D :D but that is a really dumb thing to say . That is the kinda thing someone says without really thinking about the implications of what it takes to be in that position... want the dixie chicks? maybe we shall have one named hillary in the oval office soon............................................ oh wait. you don't get a vote ! bwahahahahhahha

captain planet
04-05-2007, 05:13 PM
but that is a really dumb thing to say . That is the kinda thing someone says without really thinking about the implications of what it takes to be in that position... want the dixie chicks? maybe we shall have one named hillary in the oval office soon............................................ oh wait. you don't get a vote ! bwahahahahhahha
I'll vote for Carlos!! :D

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks Captain!!;)

Does anybody know how to run a diesel on fry grease??

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
That is no fun!! It is soooo much better to go invade a conutry and overthrow a government for the purpose of "supposedly" finding some weapons that pose an internationa threat, and when we find that there are none, we still stay, because "we cannot pull out now." Canada should really jump on the bandwagon.... Billions spent for no true outcome!! nope, I say we invade canada

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks Captain!!;)

Does anybody know how to run a diesel on fry grease?? somebody really does know how to do that

Monte
04-05-2007, 05:17 PM
maybe we shall have one named hillary in the oval office soon............................................ oh wait. you don't get a vote ! bwahahahahhahha

Don't even joke about that:noface: :cry: :smile:

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I'll vote for Carlos!! :D Leave it to a state like ohio that wants to elect a canadian for US president

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
[B]ut that is a really dumb thing to say. That is the kinda thing someone says without really thinking about the implications of what it takes to be in that position.

Just to be contrary for a second, Reagan, at one point in time, shared billing on the silver screen with a monkey (and the monkey's name appeared in the title). Look at Arnold twenty-five years ago. You could barely understand him as he smoked a big, fat, celebratory one on film. Now he's the governor of California (just like Reagan before him).

Any citizen technically has the potential to be President. Being famous first gives you a leg up on most. Yes, it takes more to be in that position. But more often than not, "more" = money. And they have that, too.

Now that's not to say that one person will make a good President or what. But, anything's possible.

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Just to be contrary for a second, Reagan, at one point in time, shared billing on the silver screen with a monkey (and the monkey's name appeared in the title). Look at Arnold twenty-five years ago. You could barely understand him as he smoked a big, fat, celebratory one on film. Now he's the governor of California (just like Reagan before him).

Any citizen has the potential to be President. Being famous first gives you a leg up on most. Yes, it takes more to be in that position. But more often than not, "more" = money. And they have that, too.

Now that's not to say that one person will make a good President or what. But, anything's possible.

Okay, Okay stop badgering I'll run!!hahahah8p 8p

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Any citizen technically has the potential to be President. Being famous first gives you a leg up on most. Yes, it takes more to be in that position. But more often than not, "more" = money. And they have that, too.

Now that's not to say that one person will make a good President or what. But, anything's possible. ahhhnald cannot be president .........

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Okay, naturalized citizen. But you see my point. Look at anybody thirty years ago that holds office now. Now imagine it with some Steely Dan playing really loudly in the background

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:28 PM

I work for a company that has a landfill service division so I see all too often all the waste that we produce. It is rediculous. I would guess if you were to see some of the REALLY BIG landfills in Ohio and how a landfill effects everything for miles around, you would change your tune a little. Anyone that lives near Canton Ohio has surely read about Countywide landfill and the HUGE mess they have going on. Rotten garbage odors last summer extended nearly 10 miles from the site!!!!! They have an underground fire going on now. Isn't that great!? SURPRISE I have an answer for that........... ;)

I hate paper! there is mounds of it on my desk. I wish it were ALL electronic, but then I'd be killing some fish with all the silicon in my computer or some crabp like that!

point is I don't mind being any greener if it doesn't hurt, ya know.

If you make a 50mpg truck that can easily run 80 on the highway, tow 6000lbs(I don't ask for much do I?) and seat 6 in addition to a weeks worth of hunting gear, and keep it under 50grand, I'll buy it! I'll save all the oil that way right?

I have a question... if we all decrease our demand on oil and I mean all of us... what will happen to the price?

will we the people, save any money at all when we ultimately have these solutions to save oil? I'm asking because we will have probably paid more of our hard earned dollar for these solutions (gov mandated or otherwise)

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Okay, Okay stop badgering I'll run!!hahahah8p 8p

Sorry. You're not old enough. You're not a citizen. And, as I just read, there's also a 14 year residency requirement. Who knew. I'd have supported your "Private Ski Lake per Household" agenda though.

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Okay, naturalized citizen. But you see my point. Look at anybody thirty years ago that holds office now. Now imagine it with some Steely Dan playing really loudly in the background MAN I like steely dan... how bout fred thompson?

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
SURPRISE I have an answer for that........... ;)

I hate paper! there is mounds of it on my desk. I wish it were ALL electronic, but then I'd be killing some fish with all the silicon in my computer or some crabp like that!

point is I don't mind being any greener if it doesn't hurt, ya know.

If you make a 50mpg truck that can easily run 80 on the highway, tow 6000lbs(I don't ask for much do I?) and seat 6 in addition to a weeks worth of hunting gear, and keep it under 50grand, I'll buy it! I'll save all the oil that way right?

I have a question... if we all decrease our demand on oil and I mean all of us... what will happen to the price?

will we the people, save any money at all when we ultimately have these solutions to save oil? I'm asking because we will have probably paid more of our hard earned dollar for these solutions (gov mandated or otherwise)

That's not an answer. Those are just the obvious rantings of a lunatic. 8p

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
How'd you know about that agenda it's top secret!! along with the MC for everybody campaign....:D

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
MAN I like steely dan... how bout fred thompson?

Funny story. I met Ole' Fred here and had my picture taken with him a few years back. So afterwards, I'm talking to someone and he is walking back and needs to get by and basically gooses me under my ribs so that I'd move. I felt like Anita Hill. :o

Anyway, he seemed like an alright guy. I liked him in Cape Fear and Hunt for Red October.

I like Steely Dan, too. If I could get my hands on an old 70s Corvette Stingray, I'd make sure that SD was the only thing played on the stereo. ;)

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
That's not an answer. Those are just the obvious rantings of a lunatic. 8p hahaaaaaaaaaa

steel studded houses was a great idea........

anybody know how much pulp is wasted when we cut back on paper?

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey East Tex

The skier logo on your avatar... where does that come from and who "owns" the design?

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Funny story. I met Ole' Fred here and had my picture taken with him a few years back. So afterwards, I'm talking to someone and he is walking back and needs to get by and basically gooses me under my ribs so that I'd move. I felt like Anita Hill. :o

. ;) great! another gay thread!:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't think my feeling like Anita Hill reflects on my own sexuality. From his standpoint, it proved pretty effective in getting me the heck out of the way. You should've seen me move.

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 05:45 PM
The real bummer of that story was that I never could get a copy of that picture from my boss at the time. I recall talking to him about his pending retirement from the Senate and him saying that the atmosphere had changed to the extent that they just weren't getting things done like they had hoped to (that's at least my recollection of the conversation). That's why I was kind of surprised to see him potentially throw his hat in the ring now given how partisan things have remained.

Anyway, nice guy. Seemed much more genuine than other politicians I've met.

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
This thread just died

captain planet
04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Leave it to a state like ohio that wants to elect a canadian for US president
Actually what I meant was I'll vote for Carlos, and cast my vote for Hillary.

But, wasnt' this thread about how to be green? I am looking up how to convert fryer grease to fuel and will put it here when I find it. I know it has to be filtered, and then some other process to either add a catylist or remove the "heavy lipids" or cholesterol. I'll find out if I can.

Funny isn't it? As soon as you try to put up a post on how to become a little more green, those opposed turn it into a political debate. :(

Monte
04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
If I could get my hands on an old 70s Corvette Stingray, I'd make sure that SD was the only thing played on the stereo. ;)

Hey ETS....... http://www.erepairables.com/my_pages/1029/vehicles/423947/1969_chevrolet_corvette.html

1969... not green, needs a little work, but bad @ss.. IMHO

Ric
04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Actually what I meant was I'll vote for Carlos, and cast my vote for Hillary.

But, wasnt' this thread about how to be green? I am looking up how to convert fryer grease to fuel and will put it here when I find it. I know it has to be filtered, and then some other process to either add a catylist or remove the "heavy lipids" or cholesterol. I'll find out if I can.

Funny isn't it? As soon as you try to put up a post on how to become a little more green, those opposed turn it into a political debate. :( I think it is a political debate.

I do believe environmentalism is the new socialist movement. Look around. While there is nothing bad about living lean and green, the polarization stems from the economic effects of regulation.

PendO
04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
For the record I'm a born and raised Albertan!! :D

okay okay, so you are the tough kind of canadian as well:)

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 06:04 PM
okay okay, so you are the tough kind of canadian as well:)

But I've learned the french ways!! Wine and Cheese!!:D ;) :D

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Leave it to a state like ohio that wants to elect a canadian for US president

We have a canuck born Gov.
YOU CAN HAVE HER BACK ANYTIME

Monte
04-05-2007, 06:06 PM
We have a canuck born Gov.
YOU CAN HAVE HER BACK ANYTIME

Is that the one Hoosier thought was hot????? :rolleyes:

captain planet
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I think it is a political debate.

I do believe environmentalism is the new socialist movement. Look around. While there is nothing bad about living lean and green, the polarization stems from the economic effects of regulation.

So why hasn't it been realized that there are economic opportunities to be obtained by being green. Developing bio-diesel technologies or ethanol technologies and building the infrastructure for these "green" movements will produce jobs. Look at the big three automakers. Instead of pioneering fuel efficient hybrids or other green vehicles, they give us the Hummer? Am I sopposed to feel bad for them that they are suffering? Sorry, not going to happen. It is no wonder Toyota is kicking everyone's a$$, they have the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road today. Instead of leading the industry in fuel economy, the big three would rather find loopholes in the CAFE standards. Look where it has gotten them.

Claiming that being "green" has a negative effect on the economy is not really accurate.

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Is that the one Hoosier thought was hot????? :rolleyes:

That's the one. Hate that stupid garbage importing *****. Look at the state of michigan economy, it's swirling the drain and she is clueless as to what to do about it.

Her liberal "green" platform is thriving. Meanwhile houses are being foreclosed left and right. People are leaving the state in droves, property values are plummeting and she is doing NOTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING.

Did I meantion I hate that *****? I thought I did;)

CarlosCabanas
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM
So why hasn't it been realized that there are economic opportunities to be obtained by being green. Developing bio-diesel technologies or ethanol technologies and building the infrastructure for these "green" movements will produce jobs. Look at the big three automakers. Instead of pioneering fuel efficient hybrids or other green vehicles, they give us the Hummer? Am I sopposed to feel bad for them that they are suffering? Sorry, not going to happen. It is no wonder Toyota is kicking everyone's a$$, they have the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road today. Instead of leading the industry in fuel economy, the big three would rather find loopholes in the CAFE standards. Look where it has gotten them.

Claiming that being "green" has a negative effect on the economy is not really accurate.

Carefull CP now there going to go on about how the hummer is more ecological than the Prius.... what a load of !@#&!!!

captain planet
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Carefull CP now there going to go on about how the hummer is more ecological than the Prius.... what a load of !@#&!!!
I know. I forgot we aren't allowed to rip on the Hummer because it gets people all riled up. How about if I substitute the Hummer with either a Suburban (which I own :mad: ) or an Excursion, will that be OK?

captain planet
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
People are leaving the state in droves, property values are plummeting and she is doing NOTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING.

That's just because your football team can't beat the BUCKEYES!!!!!! :D ;)

Sorry bro, I couldn't pass up that softball.

lawless1
04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
And I've been complaining about my 25 mile, 35 minutes each way commute!

I try to take my wife's van as often as possible as it gets almost double the mileage of my Lexus.

Like Sue I changed out all the bulbs in the house to fluorescent. I do notice a significant savings in year over year light bills.

Too funny - the opposite has happened at my house.

I used to drive the Lexus to work because my commute was a little longer (one way - 11 miles vs. my wife's 4 miles - I know, not much of a commute) and my wife would drive the Durango. Well she started getting really tired of the Durango and talked about a new SUV. I decided it would be cheaper for me to drive the Durango to work with the poor gas milage as compared to my wife coming hope from work some day with a new vehicle.:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-05-2007, 06:50 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~cheidle/fark/argument.gif

Maristar210
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM
That's just because your football team can't beat the BUCKEYES!!!!!! :D ;)

Sorry bro, I couldn't pass up that softball.

Yeah were even now:D :D

suedv
04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Hey, here are a few interesting "green" tips that aren't hard to do and they will make a difference.

Properly inflate your tires. Your vehicle will get better gas mileage when the tires are fully inflated, so it will burn less gas and emit less carbon. Check your tires monthly to ensure that they are fully inflated. Follow this tip and save about 300 pounds of carbon dioxide for every 10,000 miles you drive.

Plant native trees. Trees absorb carbon dioxide from the air and use it as their energy source, producing oxygen for us to breathe. A tree in the temperate zone — found between the tropics and the polar circles—can remove and store 700 to 7,000 pounds of carbon over its lifetime. A tree that shades a house can reduce the energy required to run the air conditioner and save an additional 200 to 2,000 pounds of carbon over its lifetime.

Act globally, eat locally. Did you know that airplanes pump carbon emissions high into the atmosphere, producing 12 percent of total U.S. emissions? The food you buy at the grocery store may travel in a plane from the other side of the world, burning fossil fuels the entire trip. During the growing season shop at a local farmers’ markets and you will find fresh, tasty, and healthy food, and help the climate at the same time.

My :twocents: for the day. :)

PendO
04-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Before we try and save the environment, I think we need to get rid of some of our nuclear weapons ... one mushroom cloud at a time!

suedv
04-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Before we try and save the environment, I think we need to get rid of some of our nuclear weapons ... one mushroom cloud at a time!

I'm a multi-tasker :D

Ric
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Claiming that being "green" has a negative effect on the economy is not really accurate. When there is an economic opportunity by being green, there will be greener things.

I do believe that the environmentalist movement is the new home of socialism. Possibly communism, but that ism is overused.

Ric
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I know. I forgot we aren't allowed to rip on the Hummer because it gets people all riled up. How about if I substitute the Hummer with either a Suburban (which I own :mad: ) or an Excursion, will that be OK? The excursion is a good example of free market economy at work

captain planet
04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
The excursion is a good example of free market economy at work
And the overall downfall of American automakers is also a good example of the free market economy at work. ;)

Maristar210
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
And the overall downfall of American automakers is also a good example of the free market economy at work. ;)

Jesus you two. Knock it off.

Ric - Your just antagonizing him at our expense.

CP - You are puching the limits of posting matierial that is mean spirited so lets just all get along here eh?

Ric
04-06-2007, 11:56 AM

CP - You are puching the limits of posting matierial that is mean spirited so lets just all get along here eh?

I think it's the one thing that CP has said that is correct

Leroy
04-06-2007, 12:13 PM
There is always a big picture to look at! My wife is also happier driving the Lexus and me the Odyssey!

Too funny - the opposite has happened at my house.

I used to drive the Lexus to work because my commute was a little longer (one way - 11 miles vs. my wife's 4 miles - I know, not much of a commute) and my wife would drive the Durango. Well she started getting really tired of the Durango and talked about a new SUV. I decided it would be cheaper for me to drive the Durango to work with the poor gas milage as compared to my wife coming hope from work some day with a new vehicle.:rolleyes:

lawless1
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
There is always a big picture to look at! My wife is also happier driving the Lexus and me the Odyssey!

Very true!

captain planet
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Wow, I wasn't trying to be mean spirited. My comment about not feeling sorry for the big three may qualify, but I mean no ill will toward Ric. This has actually been pretty civil, no name calling, just a debate of views and information. Sorry if I offended. :(

PendO
04-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Steve - quit being such a daisy!

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2007, 03:28 PM
When there is an economic opportunity by being green, there will be greener things.

I do believe that the environmentalist movement is the new home of socialism. Possibly communism, but that ism is overused.

BINGO WE HAVE A CORRECT ANSWER!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :headbang: :dance:

TX.X-30 fan
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Off work today so I'm unable to pump sulfur laden black clouds of diesel exhaust into the air. Ive decided to just bleed off the freon from my ac unit into the atmosphere until it gets warm enough to board. :D :D

Ric
04-07-2007, 12:20 AM
I bought two floodlights tonight with curlie cue guts in them

pretty cool they last 7 years and save me 55 per year compared to my floods

Thanks eastie, !!!

Farmer Ted
04-07-2007, 12:32 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~cheidle/fark/argument.gif

Meetings, Bloody Meetings?

TX.X-30 fan
04-07-2007, 03:13 AM
I bought two floodlights tonight with curlie cue guts in them

pretty cool they last 7 years and save me 55 per year compared to my floods

Thanks eastie, !!!

Let me know when they burn out, planning to head to roundrock in about 7yrs.

JKTX21
04-07-2007, 04:06 AM
I cleaned the intake on my truck REAL good about a month ago. It was gunked up pretty bad.

Now I get 16mpg instead of 15!

Ric
04-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I can and will easily do the first 2 of those 3 things.

sue I just bought some of those mercury ridden 7 year bulbs for outside when I went to the store to get some new flood bulbs for the kitchen

while I bought regular ol' miser bulbs for the kitchen, an old question popped up...

I kid alot, so I will tell you up front I am serious with this dumb question:

if we don't put the lightbulb into the socket threads tightly, are we not increasing resistance, therefore using more energy for the same bulb size?

I know, it's weird but I've thought of that before and figure the best bunch to study that kinda stuff would be environmental groups.

Hey, here are a few interesting "green" tips that aren't hard to do and they will make a difference.

Properly inflate your tires. Your vehicle will get better gas mileage when the tires are fully inflated, so it will burn less gas and emit less carbon. Check your tires monthly to ensure that they are fully inflated. Follow this tip and save about 300 pounds of carbon dioxide for every 10,000 miles you drive.

Plant native trees. Trees absorb carbon dioxide from the air and use it as their energy source, producing oxygen for us to breathe. A tree in the temperate zone — found between the tropics and the polar circles—can remove and store 700 to 7,000 pounds of carbon over its lifetime. A tree that shades a house can reduce the energy required to run the air conditioner and save an additional 200 to 2,000 pounds of carbon over its lifetime.

Act globally, eat locally. Did you know that airplanes pump carbon emissions high into the atmosphere, producing 12 percent of total U.S. emissions? The food you buy at the grocery store may travel in a plane from the other side of the world, burning fossil fuels the entire trip. During the growing season shop at a local farmers’ markets and you will find fresh, tasty, and healthy food, and help the climate at the same time.

My :twocents: for the day. :)

Leroy
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
OK, who is really ready to go green? Call me if you are interested! If anyone wants to trade away their gas hog 190, 197, or 205 I'll consider it.

:popcorn:

Ric
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
OK, who is really ready to go green? Call me if you are interested! If anyone wants to trade away their gas hog 190, 197, or 205 I'll consider it.

:popcorn: me pick me! :D

Ric
04-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Anybody else doing anything to lower their gas bill and become "greener"?? shame on you Cameron, you are polarizing figure. Stick to swimsuits thank you

captain planet
04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks Captain!!;)

Does anybody know how to run a diesel on fry grease??
Carlos, I found a few websites on this subject as promised. I have looked over a few but this one seems to be the most complete system.

http://www.frybrid.com

Some of the other systems are not as complete.

I will have to admit, the steps to go through to be able to use the used oil would take some SERIOUS commitment. It can be done, but you have to have the patience and good place to obtain and prep your oil.

I'm green, but I don't even know if I'm this green. :(

east tx skier
04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Let me know when they burn out, planning to head to roundrock in about 7yrs.

Hey, X-30, what color is your boat? Were you on 59 heading south yesterday?

/by the way, to stay on topic, Ric, when they burn out, you can take your old CFLs to IKEA for recycling. :)

Sodar
04-09-2007, 06:16 PM
shame on you Cameron, you are polarizing figure. Stick to swimsuits thank you

I can not believe this thread has gone as long as it has!! I just posted to express my pleasure with not having to drive in traffic everyday and my ability to save my money and spend it on fun things... like my new bote!! :D :D :D

Summer is almost here and swimsuits will be plentiful, I am sure!!

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey, X-30, what color is your boat? Were you on 59 heading south yesterday?

/by the way, to stay on topic, Ric, when they burn out, you can take your old CFLs to IKEA for recycling. :)

Its black east tx, I was home all day. I certainly hope my boat was not headed to Laredo. :( :mad: :D

east tx skier
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Nope this one wasn't you then. It was blue. Don't think it was going to Laredo as there was no shoe polish on the back of it.

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Nope this one wasn't you then. It was blue. Don't think it was going to Laredo as there was no shoe polish on the back of it.

Good one east tx. Have to live here to fully appreciate that one. :D :D

Ric
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I can not believe this thread has gone as long as it has!! I just posted to express my pleasure with not having to drive in traffic everyday and my ability to save my money and spend it on fun things... like my new bote!! :D :D :D

Summer is almost here and swimsuits will be plentiful, I am sure!! Here's wishing you graduate before they indoctrinate you into the academia cult

east tx skier
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Around here, whenever you see one 92 explorer sport towing another one, good guess is they're heading south o' the border.

east tx skier
04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Here's wishing you graduate before they indoctrinate you into the academia cult

I think he graduated last year. Don't you remember how ticked he was after the Rose Bowl that year (his senior year).

/just sayin', not trying to rub salt in those old wounds.

Sodar
04-09-2007, 07:02 PM
I think he graduated last year. Don't you remember how ticked he was after the Rose Bowl that year (his senior year).

/just sayin', not trying to rub salt in those old wounds.

No comment

betsy&david Harrison
04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
No comment
Did you get a new boat while I was gone???:D

Sodar
04-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Did you get a new boat while I was gone???:D

I sold an old one!! I take delivery on the new one April 28th!

JKTX21
04-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I sold an old one!! I take delivery on the new one April 28th!

Ha, you're boatless sucka!

Congrats on selling the 190.

(I'm jealous)

Sodar
04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I am boteless... I might need to visit the "I'm Out" thread until the new one arrives! Maybe I can get permission to stick around for a couple of weeks!?!

TX.X-30 fan
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I am boteless... I might need to visit the "I'm Out" thread until the new one arrives! Maybe I can get permission to stick around for a couple of weeks!?!

No but change your name to BOATLESS2. ;)

LakePirate
04-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Flowmaster exhaust and K&N air filters will help gas mileage AND increase HP....

I read far enough....I agree.

Oh and the wife is now recycling....there are beer cans and diet green tea bottles everywhere....

Leroy
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Now you have went to far on this green stuff! WHat's next you going to burn down the local Hummer dealer???

Sodar
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Now you have went to far on this green stuff! WHat's next you going to burn down the local Hummer dealer???

No No No!! I know the service manager at the local Hummer dealership on a first name basis. Randy is a great guy and I would never do anything to harm his establishment. To be honest.... I would LOVE a new White H2. I was very impressed with my ex's H3... It was FULLY loaded, which I am sure helped, but I was very suprised at how nice it was!

Leroy
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
JK, when I was working out there 2004/2005 always seemed like the Hummers and dealers were always getting torched by real tree huggers everytime I was in CA.

Sodar
04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
JK, when I was working out there 2004/2005 always seemed like the Hummers and dealers were always getting torched by real tree huggers everytime I was in CA.

Pretty Much if it is Extreme... it happens in California!!

sand2snow22
04-10-2007, 02:23 AM
I bought a Toyota Camry hybrid on Friday. Call me crazy, but everytime I pay $3 for a gallon of gas it kills me. Doesn't seem to bother me filling up the boat, tho? 8p I do like the idea of the cat exhaust manifolds on a boat, especially for surfing and the environment. I hope they hold up!!

On a side note to this topic, around here building green is all the rage, this is a pretty cool website. They moved the house to another lot instead of tearing it down and fixed it up. Click play, play, play or skip the intro, go to systems and check out the electric, water and heat systems. I hear the biodiesel furnace is trying to use B99, not just a small blend..... www.shizenpdx.com

Jesus_Freak
04-10-2007, 04:16 AM
...Call me crazy, but everytime I pay $3 for a gallon of gas it kills me. Doesn't seem to bother me filling up the boat, tho? 8p

Now thats funny. I am the same way. I drive a light, cheap piece of garbage for saving fuel, but I am not remotely concerned with fuel for the prostar. Wife doesnt understand.