PDA

View Full Version : Hatch cylinder on MC205V 2000

andyb69
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi all
My first post! Nice informative site.
I need to replace my hatch cylinder. I tore it apart and it is toast. Can i buy a aftermarket one? I don't necessarily need it except for when i tow it once a year up north doing 75mph. Any opinions?
I can't wait to get my first foot'n run in for the year!
Thanks
AndyB
Miner Lake Michigan

andrewtimko
04-04-2007, 12:32 AM
I assume you mean the gas shock that holds up the hatch. NAPA may have a very close replacement; if not the correct one. I do not know the model number. I would take in my old one and try to find a similar extended length / # rating. Then post your results here for others.

Leroy
04-04-2007, 12:40 AM
The MC dealers have had surprisingly good prices on these parts. I'm also assuming you mean the gas lifting cylinder. Replaced the one I had in my glove box and MC dealer was as cheap as on-line or auto dealer and exact part.

Don't forget your dealer!

andyb69
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
This is for the BACK Sundeck lid. Sorry if i made you think of the glove box.
Got ideas or comments for that?
Thanks
AndyB

Thrall
04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Napa, or any other reputable auto parts store should either have them in stock or be able to get them easily.

etakk7
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
2000's have an electric actuator standard - I doubt you'll find that at NAPA. I would think you have to go to the dealer on that one.

andyb69
04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
YEs, the electric actuator LARGE cylinder. Not a gas shock. It is the one piece sun deck not the 3 piece.

Leroy
04-04-2007, 11:21 PM
My bad, didn't realize they were electri actuated, thought they were standard gas. Second the dealer option.

Rich_G
04-05-2007, 12:32 AM
You could replace it with gas shocks, just like the 99 has. I thinks some others have done that. You would probably need the manual latch with strap and the bracket that bolts on to the ski pylon. Again, a dealer would be the best source.

andyb69
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys. Just thought there might be a easier cheaper way out!
Thanks
AndyB

2000205V
04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Mine crapped out a couple years ago after I had a leaky fat sack back there for a while. I had the electric motor rebuilt and rubber dipped at a local electric motor place. Worked great after that. Cost about 50 bucks.

I did end up taking the cylinder out after changing to hard tanks. I got some long gas cylinders and attached them to the pastic guard between the engine manifold and the storage bay. I did it on both sides and love it. Gets the cylinder out of the way for extra storage. It's amazing how much travel room it needs being mounted on the floor like that. I think thats why MC only did it like that for 2000, and in 2001 they split the hatch and used gas shocks.

I also didn't like the fact that there was NO way to open the hatch and get at the engine if your power crapped out ie: dead battery.