PDA

View Full Version : Shifting problems

mbwinfrey
04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I purchased my first Mastercraft last summer and its been perfect until now. It's a 1998 Prostar 205 and I've recently had problems shifting out of nuetral, especially into reverse. It shifted in and out of gear extremely smooth the other day and then it really started to get rough. I noticed that some idiot ran the shifting cable along the engine incorrectly and a belt rubbed against it. The wire casing inside the cable has splintered out. I oiled the splintered casing and all of the rods connected to the cable and this didn't help. Does anyone have any experience with shifting problems? Do you think it is as simple as replacing the cable or could it have to do with the transmission? The throttle moves very smoothly once in gear.

How easy is it to replace the shifting cable? I would take it to the mastercraft shop but I'm sure it would be tied up for a couple of weeks or more.

TMCNo1
04-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I'd try the cable swap first since there are obvious problems with the damaged cable and see if it cures the situation, then if not look into a transmission problem.

Jesus_Freak
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I have had mucho trouble with shifting in stern drives before, but I know nothing about inboard shifting yet. Describe "rough". Engine cutting out? Physically hard to move? Crunching sound? All of the above?

jimmer2880
04-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I agree with #1 here. Since you know your cable is bum, swap that out. You can probably get one from www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) for a reasonable price.

wesgardner
04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
You can try disconnecting the shift cable from the trans. then shift the trans. directly by hand to see if there's an issue...

PendO
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
bump ... maybe it needs a clutch adjustment?

[sorry, I got nuthin for ya, but I'll put it back to the top of the board] - I'd try what Harold suggested.

TMCNo1
04-04-2007, 04:02 PM
bump ... maybe it needs a clutch adjustment?
[sorry, I got nuthin for ya, but I'll put it back to the top of the board] - I'd try what Harold suggested.

Or, just double clutch it!

PendO
04-04-2007, 04:09 PM
yeah, you could double cluth it, kinda' a rookie thing though on the way up, if you can hit the right rpms no need to clutch at all ... I can do it on the way up, but I'm a little sketchy stepping down 10 gears that way, I can only get down to the splitter then I start to grind it.

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I had some awful mechanic who I used in a pinch crimp my throttle cable, after which it was a horrible pain to put the boat back into neutral from idle. A new cable solved all problems.

mbwinfrey
04-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Disconnected the shifting cable and everything functioned smooth when I engaged the control. I tried to shift the transmission by hand and it was tough so I oiled it and worked it back and forth. Now the boat shifts in and out smoothly but THE THROTTLE IS TENSE WHEN ACCELERATING! I feel like I may have disrupted something in the throttle control when it was tough to shift. I guess I'll take it to the shop tomorrow.