PDA

View Full Version : Live Webcam on Nesting Bald Eagle

suedv
04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Here is a link (http://media1.vcoe.org/eaglecam1) to a live webcam on a nesting bald eagle on California's Santa Cruz Island. The nest now contains one egg, which is expected to hatch in early April.

To read about the eagles on this island check out this link (http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/california/features/eaglesreunion.html?src=s2).

Slinkyredfoot
04-03-2007, 08:21 PM
This is cool,

I have had an expierence with a bald eagle on the White River here in Indy last year, they are absoulutely beautiful birds, if you are ever upfront and personal with one, well this is truly a unique experience....

suedv
04-13-2007, 06:22 PM
The eaglet hatched today.

milkmania
04-13-2007, 06:25 PM
The eaglet hatched today.

let the games begin

bigmac
04-13-2007, 06:50 PM
There are several nesting pairs around here and bald eagles fishing in our bay all summer is a pretty routine sight. They're expecially active now as they are picking up fish discards on the ice where fish houses used to be. They must love eelpout.

Last spring, my wife and I were sitting out on our deck when a bald eagle flew over and dropped a BIG something on the ice in front of our house. We both thought it was a muskrat, but on closer inspection it turned out to be the neighbor's cat.

Maristar210
04-13-2007, 07:55 PM
There are several nesting pairs around here and bald eagles fishing in our bay all summer is a pretty routine sight. They're expecially active now as they are picking up fish discards on the ice where fish houses used to be. They must love eelpout.

Last spring, my wife and I were sitting out on our deck when a bald eagle flew over and dropped a BIG something on the ice in front of our house. We both thought it was a muskrat, but on closer inspection it turned out to be the neighbor's cat.

No ****ing way, really?

suedv
04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm guessing the cat died????

TMCNo1
04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
If that's the case we need more here in NC to control the cat population. The Eagles can pick up the ignorant owners who can't contol their cats!

bigmac
04-13-2007, 11:20 PM
If that's the case we need more here in NC to control the cat population. The Eagles can pick up the ignorant owners who can't contol their cats!

Owls are generally harder on the cat population than eagles around here.

bigmac
04-13-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing the cat died????Yes...very dead. My wife was kind of attached to that cat so I waded out to recover it so she didn't have to look at it out the kitchen window every day - the ice had pulled away from the shore. The forensics aren't back, but my preliminary evaluation suggests that the cat was likely dead before it took that final flight.

beef
04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
We've got a load of them around here, too. Always one out by our course. They seem to have gotten quite used to us, and will just sit and watch us ski. Pic is from two days ago. We had five adult eagles in the area that day.

Every once in a while, while we're tightening up the rope & getting ready to go, one will come out of the trees and line up behind the skier. I seems like they are getting ready to swoop down to pick up the skiers head. I guess maybe it looks like something that we stirred up behind the boat. I always wondered what kind of damage an eagles talons could do in an attempt to grab a handful of hair. One guy in particular always seems to bring one out. Maybe his head looks like a dead cat from above.

ski_king
04-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Cool picture!
I have heard there are a pair nesting near wehere I ski, but I havn't seen them, at at least close enought to verify they are bald eagles.
What we do have though are plenty of turkey vultures that like to roost in the morning to dry their wings on a railroadd bridge that is located rigth at the end of the slalom course.

bigmac
04-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Lot's of bald eagle images at THIS PBASE GALLERY (http://www.pbase.com/wembley/bald_eagles) by Gavin Spooner.

TMCNo1
04-14-2007, 10:37 AM
The mother is feeding the chick right now with something she caught, maybe a cat?:rolleyes:

bigpack20
04-14-2007, 10:57 AM
cool link....