PDA

View Full Version : depth finder

brownbargeII
04-03-2007, 05:21 PM
got a depth finder a few years ago, just getting around to the install. Has anyone ever epoxied a transducer in the hull? i have a 190 just wondering where the best location is. any tips appreciated!

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
The thinner the part of the hull the better. I have the transducer near the drain on my 190. Be sure to get all the air bubbles out of the epoxy when you glue it down.

TMCNo1
04-03-2007, 07:58 PM
MC notches the liner and epoxies it at the stuffing box so the transducer will only have to shoot thru the 1 layer of fiberglass or in the same area but without the notch, but still 1 layer thick. That's where I epoxied mine 6 years ago and it works like it is suppose to. Follow the instructions on how to epoxy and it will be fine.

SDAhockey21
04-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Its is very easy i did mine just last fall. I glued of the the right as far as possible and between the fins. Has worked fine for me.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2683.jpg

BriEOD
04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Yes, on my boat their was a flat spot next to the shaft locking nut. Take your time and use the transducer in the plastic bag with water method. Works well.

Archimedes
04-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Can anyone supply a little more direct instructions for how to do this on an X-1? I just bought one of them there depth do hickeys and was gonna have it installed by the dealer at my next oil change, but would love to do it myself if it's easy. They want 2 hours labor to install it.

mrG
04-04-2007, 01:44 AM
I recently installed the Humminbird depth sounder from skidim. Very easy to install and hook up. I followed the directions and located the puck transducer towards the rear of the boat near the shaft log. Even though it's not glued to the thinnest part of the hull there are no problems with it reading depth. I would recomend lightly sanding the surface and clean it real good with a solvent like acetone or MEK before applying the epoxy. Also, plan to let the epoxy dry for about 24 hours before use.

Archimedes
04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Dumb question, what kind of epoxy did you use? Any special kind I should avoid? Also, roughly how much did you use? Is the goal to use as little as possible, or do you put a big glob and just set her in there?

I assume you then just ran the wires up to the front, plug it into that transformer thing and then plug it into the harness.

Is all that white in your picture the epoxy?

mayo93prostar
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I just did mine the other day in my 93 prostar and it looks similar to mrG's install pic above. I was wondering about the thinner fiberglass by the shaft. I installed mine on the opposite side of the shaft away from the blower hose. I have not tried it out yet but should work according to mrG. The epoxy that I used came with the hummingbird depth finder from skidim. It is slow cure epoxy and it did take 24 hours to fully set up. I think you do not want to use regular (fast cure) epoxy because it can have air bubbles (bad) in it and it creates heat as it cures which may damage the puck. good luck.

93ProStar205
05-23-2007, 11:10 PM
You may want to consider placing the puck forward in the boat near the drain plug, but with a clear shot through the fiberglass (not through the tracking fin plates). A read up front gives you a little more time to react and reverse if you are idling through the shallows and start getting close on depth. Don't go too far though, as if you place it somewhere in the hull that is lifted from the water when on plane, the finder will not read accurately.

jraben8
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
I recently installed the Humminbird depth sounder from skidim. Very easy to install and hook up. I followed the directions and located the puck transducer towards the rear of the boat near the shaft log. Even though it's not glued to the thinnest part of the hull there are no problems with it reading depth. I would recomend lightly sanding the surface and clean it real good with a solvent like acetone or MEK before applying the epoxy. Also, plan to let the epoxy dry for about 24 hours before use.

Becareful there. That's exactly where I had mine until those tie wraps dry rotted and broke. Blower hose and tranducer wire wrapped around the shaft/transmission coupling. Not a pretty sight with transmission fluid in the bilge...

Monte
05-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Becareful there. That's exactly where I had mine until those tie wraps dry rotted and broke. Blower hose and tranducer wire wrapped around the shaft/transmission coupling. Not a pretty sight with transmission fluid in the bilge...
That sounds like a fun time:rolleyes:

mrG
05-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Humminbird recomends locating the transducer towards the rear of the boat about as far back as the raw water pick up. The idea being that this area of the hull is in constant contact with the water. The more forward the puck is located the more chance you will get a disrupted/noisy signal due to more air being in the water at this location.
As stated in the privious post, I located my puck abeam the water pick up on the double thickness of the hull and it has worked perfect.
The reason I chose to locate the puck next to the blower hose (starboard side) is because this is the side that the main wire harness to the engine is located. I wanted to be able to get the transducer wire right into the harness and follwo it up the the instrument panel.
BTW, I picked up 12V to power the gage from the hobbs (hour) meter.
Hope this helps.

limegreen
06-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I think I should install a new puck too. Mine wasn't reading right so I took a look and it had come loose. I doubt I can clean it up and re epoxy it?

If I get a new puck do I take the wire all the way back to the dash, or do I splice it?