PDA

View Full Version : Lost my tow vehicle...

M-Funf
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
So, yesterday, the wife was driving the Jeep (no passengers) on a rural road when the left front tire blew, pitching her to the right, spinning her around and landing her in a ditch. Both airbags went off.
She was O.K. A bit battered and bruised, but other than that she appears fine. The paramedics checked her out and released her to me.
They towed it before I arrived and could take a look, so I went today. It doesn't look good :( The suspension on the left front corner is torn up pretty bad, and so is the sheet metal. The doors all open fine, so I think the unibody is still straight. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be worth fixing, and I don't think I'll get enough out of it to purchase a new tow vehicle any time soon...Looks like I'll be bumming tow vehicles from friends for my summer ski trips...

PendO
04-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Glad to hear your wife is okay (relatively speaking) .... sorry about the jeep

Sodar
04-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear everyone is OK. Thats too bad though... at least you are assured an observer if you have to invite someone to tow it!!!

Monte
04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear everyone is ok, just like the two posts before.

Couldn't you use the settlement as a down payment on something else??

M-Funf
04-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Couldn't you use the settlement as a down payment on something else??

Probably, but I'm not normally one to finance a car...instead I may sell one of my other cars and buy a nice tow vehicle...

It's all too early to tell. I just need to get this resolved right now and try to get my wife to stop saying she's sorry :(

Monte
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
try to get my wife to stop saying she's sorry :(

That is the worst part of the whole deal I bet..:(

Sodar
04-03-2007, 05:47 PM
It's all too early to tell. I just need to get this resolved right now and try to get my wife to stop saying she's sorry :(

Make her pay!! :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
04-03-2007, 06:04 PM
That is a tough one for sure, glad your wife is OK.

CarlosCabanas
04-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear your wife is O.K.!!

slink976
04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Probably, but I'm not normally one to finance a car...instead I may sell one of my other cars and buy a nice tow vehicle...

I totally agree with the financing, waste of money unless your doing it for a house! Glad to hear that she is okay!

Lee

P.S Was it on Pepper? My mother totalled a car there.

M-Funf
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts...

P.S Was it on Pepper? My mother totalled a car there.

I forgot you know the area, Lee.

No, it was on a rural road near home. She said it happened so fast she thought she got hit from the side or front/side. The front of the car just shot to the right. Both of the guys at the wrecking yard said it looked like tire failure to them. She may have run over something that blew the tire out. It was completely off the rim when I saw the car.

She called a while ago and said there's more bruising and stiffness.

bcampbe7
04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your vehicle, but it's replaceable.

Glad to hear that your wife is OK. She will probably be sore for a few days.

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Glad you still got your wife!

Bummer you will have to bum pulls this summer... pulls for the boat!

Ric
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
wow that is a scare huh? !!!!!!!

cmack
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
M-Funf - Glad to hear your wife is ok.

BeavenX5
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
You should not have too much probems trading with a friend one of the "M" badged car for a tow vehicule for a week-end. I know I would anytime...
Glad your wife is OK, that's what is important.

M-Funf
04-04-2007, 12:11 PM
wow that is a scare huh? !!!!!!!

Yeah, she's still pretty shaken up.

You should not have too much probems trading with a friend one of the "M" badged car for a tow vehicule for a week-end. I know I would anytime...
Glad your wife is OK, that's what is important.

My dad has already offered his Tahoe any time I want to tow. He probably won't even drive the M, but if he wants to, that's fine with me...Or maybe I should just tell him that I'm not comfortable towing with the Tahoe. Then I'd have a driver and observer ;)

M-Funf
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
So, here are a few pictures of the damage. The wife can't even look at these without getting nauseous...:(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/paa5e41acf53191fbcc72478849c43d72/ea0f68c9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pd997f31c4863790b53e795fd8af947ec/ea0f68ba.jpg

And the damage to the tire...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p853c716ff81e6a4ff4ac993c23df3458/ea0f68af.jpg

Thrall
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
That'll buff right out! (someone had to say it)
Glad your wife was not seriously injured.
I know that's an older Jeep, 8-10yrs old maybe, but doesn't look like a total to me. Hood is fixable. Fender did not come in contact w/ the door and hood isn't misaligned (from the pics anyway). Doubt the core support is bent.
Looks like some front susp parts, fender, bumper, wheel, grille, headlight. I bet it's fixable.

trickskier
04-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Glad to hear your wife was not injured..........Any estimates on the Jeep yet?

M-Funf
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Glad to hear your wife was not injured..........Any estimates on the Jeep yet?

No. I just called my insurance guy a few minutes ago. He said they probably want to take it to a shop to get it up on a lift to do a detailed review before they decide...

As long as they get it out of the towing company's yard, I'll be happy. That place charges $50/day just for that piece of junk sitting there :mad:

trickskier
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
As long as they get it out of the towing company's yard, I'll be happy. That place charges $50/day just for that piece of junk sitting there :mad:

That's a rip...........Wrecker companies can charge what ever they want & get away with it. I've seen wrecker bills as high as $15,000 for less than 6 hours of work when one of our semi's over turns! Oh, and then they usually charge us $150.00 a day for storage because the truck & trailer takes up so much room................:mad:

M-Funf
04-10-2007, 02:00 PM
As it turns out, the insurance company covered all the towing and storage costs (which I'm sure I'll be "paying" for in the future). They haven't decided yet if they're going to total or fix. I should know that later today.

WakeSeeky
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow. Very glad your wife is ok. This could so easily have happened to us as well, scary stuff. Really hope all the insurance works out for you.

djhuff
04-10-2007, 02:36 PM
If you have time after a wreck, the best thing to do is to call the ins. co. and ask them where they recommend and have the vehicle towed directly there. Then there is no storage fee, and the shop can get a look at it sooner. If it's a recommended shop, they may even do the eval for the ins. co. without having to wait for an appraiser.