PDA

View Full Version : painting a galvanized trailer?

PE4ME
04-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Gentlemen, I restored a hurricane ravaged boat and now would like to work on the trailer as it is piss poor looking. I read that it is possible and being that it is weathered, it was suggested to only pressure wash and paint. Sounds too good to be true, has anyone attempted this or know anyone who has? It will not be in salt water so the properties of zinc protection will not be needed... thanks

Sodar
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Gentlemen, I restored a hurricane ravaged boat and now would like to work on the trailer as it is piss poor looking. I read that it is possible and being that it is weathered, it was suggested to only pressure wash and paint. Sounds too good to be true, has anyone attempted this or know anyone who has? It will not be in salt water so the properties of zinc protection will not be needed... thanks

We did this to our old outboard that we took from a saltwater boat to a freshwater only boat. The trailer place took a few steps to prep the trailer, but I am not sure that all were neccessary, as my dad wanted a show-quality finish. The trailer place sanded the whole thing, removing the rough texture that galvanizing usually leaves, then they followed that up with an acid bath, a sandable primer, then painted it.

On a side note: The local custom trailer manufacturer is using galvanized box tubing on all their new trailers, then painting it. They are calling it Galva-Tube and let me tell you, the stuff is flat out AWESOME!
http://extremetrailers.com/malibu/galva_tube.jpg

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
My father is in the galvanization business, so I've heard plenty about it. Galvanizing steel will really make it hold up over time, plus the paint is likely to hang around much longer on a galvanized surface.

If you plan to keep your trailer for a long while, I would recommend galvanizing it.

PE4ME
04-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Galvanized is the way to go, especially in the marine environment. In Wisconsin I really don't need the extra protection, I am more after the look. The trailer is solid but looks like a horses a$$. Texture is a bit rough but I dont want to spend the cost of new trailer on a paint job. I am thinking DYI because it can only get better, nice PS 205 on a hunk a junk...cant have that.
Wonder what a pro would charge?
thanks-

jraben8
04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Are there before and after pics of your project???

PE4ME
04-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I have photos, none digital and I haven't scanned any in yet. I originally joined the site while fishing for ideas...there are a number of people that would appreciate the magnitude and final result of my project; however, I am too lazy but would like to put a before after collection together at some point down the road and thank those who have saved me 1000s. Someday I may drive down and buy a boat from Jim @ BAWS.
Sitting in a bar in Switzerland, I am typing away 6000ft thinking that in 8 weeks I will put the snowboard away and fire up the MC.
Thread jacking my own...oh well

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Might just be worth it to trade up... Galvanizing won't cost that much, but you will have to completely strip your trailer, find a place for your boat, re-assemble, etc.

SkiDog
04-03-2007, 05:49 PM
So from what I'm gathering, it is possible to paint a galvanized trailer, and make it look good too. I've been wondering what to do about this ugly *** galvanized trailer for a while, being as nobody wants to trade.:confused:

Sodar
04-03-2007, 05:53 PM
So from what I'm gathering, it is possible to paint a galvanized trailer, and make it look good too. I've been wondering what to do about this ugly *** galvanized trailer for a while, being as nobody wants to trade.:confused:

You can totally do it! It will last longer than untreated steel also! You will not see rust streaks from rock chips either!!!

FrankSchwab
04-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I looked into it a couple of years ago when I bought my boat. All the answers I got on the web said, basically, that if the galvanized finish is weathered, paint will stick to it great. If it's a brand-new galvanized finish, there were some prep steps that need to be done first.

/frank

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I looked into it a couple of years ago when I bought my boat. All the answers I got on the web said, basically, that if the galvanized finish is weathered, paint will stick to it great. If it's a brand-new galvanized finish, there were some prep steps that need to be done first.

/frank

I second that.

PE4ME
04-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Frank, that is what I found on the net to, just sounded to good to be true. I thought I would sand, where necessary flat/rust stain removal and then paint over. I thought someone may have done a similar feat along the way...maybe not.