PDA

View Full Version : Garage door remodel

CBergerson
04-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey everyone. I am the guy that bought Andy G's beautiful ProStar 197 last fall and this is my first post. I am in the process of enlarging one of my garage doors so that the boat will actually fit through it.

The first picture is of our 3-car garage, with three small doors that are 9 by 7. Our driveway curves up to the apron on the right-hand side so that there is not a straight shot into the middle door. The other two doors cannot be used, one has the steps into the house in the way and the other is short because of the jog in the foundation and a workbench.

So, I am going to enlarge the opening to 10 wide by 9 ft high. I have ordered a commercial size door from Menards that will match the originals. The boat does fit through the current opening, but must be pushed through by hand with the guide posts taken off and the tower folded down. With the new door, I should be able to back right in without taking anything apart!!

The second photo is from inside the garage and shows what I am up against. The garage has an 11-foot ceiling and is nice and large at about 36 by 24, so there is plenty of space. I will post the pics of my progress when the doors come in and I get started.

CBergerson
04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
How do I post the pics?

mrcrowson
04-03-2007, 11:35 AM
WELCOME.
Hope this helps

CLICK HERE> (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103156&postcount=10)

This will help you in the Future (CLICK HERE) (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103130&postcount=1)

ProTour X9
04-03-2007, 11:37 AM
"when you post scroll down to "additional options" and click on "Manage attachments"

then select "browse" and find the file you want to upload
once you've uploaded it close that window and submit your reply and your photo should appear"______Farmer Ted

CBergerson
04-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the advice/instructions. Does anyone else have a similar situation where the garage doors are of different sizes? My wife is still very skeptical about this as the front of the garage is the main thing you see from the road.

Ric
04-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Garage thread baby, Garage Thread!!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1553

WELCOME

Mag_Red
04-03-2007, 12:20 PM
I take it you are going to enlarge the middle door?? Looking at the construction of the garage, small walls between the doors and side of the building, I think I would try to replace the right and middle door with one large door. Sure you would have the replace the header above the door to span the additional length, but you wouldn't have to mess with the brick on either end and you would be fighting a width issue. Make sense?? It would more than likely look better over all.:twocents:

CBergerson
04-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I take it you are going to enlarge the middle door?? Looking at the construction of the garage, small walls between the doors and side of the building, I think I would try to replace the right and middle door with one large door. Sure you would have the replace the header above the door to span the additional length, but you wouldn't have to mess with the brick on either end and you would be fighting a width issue. Make sense?? It would more than likely look better over all.:twocents:

That would be a BIG door at 20 feet by 9 feet!!

JohnnyB
04-03-2007, 01:01 PM
A single bigger door (even custom size) will probably be cheaper than the rest of the rework you are talking about.

I assume you were intending to make the middle door larger....if you were considering one of the other doors instead, this option of a single larger door would be more aesthetically pleasing.....for that matter, the single larger door may be more appealing from an appearance standpoint than one larger door.....just givin' you stuff to think about. Keep us posted with what you do so others can learn.

CBergerson
04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
A single bigger door (even custom size) will probably be cheaper than the rest of the rework you are talking about.

I assume you were intending to make the middle door larger....if you were considering one of the other doors instead, this option of a single larger door would be more aesthetically pleasing.....for that matter, the single larger door may be more appealing from an appearance standpoint than one larger door.....just givin' you stuff to think about. Keep us posted with what you do so others can learn.

The 10 by 9 foot door was $570 total with hardware and tax. I would think that with such a large single door (20 by 9) I would also need a larger/more powerful door opener as well.

The special order door is non-refundable, I checked when I ordered it. I agree with you about the single door looking better, though. Like I joked to my wife, "I don't care how it looks as long as the boat goes through it!!" 8p

#47of100TeamMC
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
The 10 by 9 foot door was $570 total with hardware and tax. I would think that with such a large single door (20 by 9) I would also need a larger/more powerful door opener as well.

The special order door is non-refundable, I checked when I ordered it. I agree with you about the single door looking better, though. Like I joked to my wife, "I don't care how it looks as long as the boat goes through it!!" 8p

Opener should be the same size. I've got an 18x8 door and it uses the same opener as my 10x8 door. The Springs do the work in opening said door, the opener is just a guide. If I disconnect my 18x8 from the opener I can open it manually with 2 fingers.