PDA

View Full Version : What Transmission Do I have?

Sodar
04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
A fellow TT PM'ed me and asked which prop I had on my boat. I looked at it last night and it said: OJ 14 18. I am guessing that this means a 14x18, which led me to the question of do I have a PowerSlot coupled to my LT-1? I tried looking at the badging on the Transmission, but could not find a gear ratio or any clues. Can I tell what transmission I have based off my prop? I am about 90% sure it is the stock prop on the boat...

MYMC
04-03-2007, 10:03 AM
PowerSlot, a 1:1 couldnt pull that prop.

Sodar
04-03-2007, 10:05 AM
PowerSlot, a 1:1 couldnt pull that prop.

Thanks Mike! What gear ratio is a PowerSlot? The boat is a 1996...

Ric
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
STOCK PROP?

Sodar
04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
STOCK PROP?

Yup..... always worked well for me, never hit anything with it, so I never changed it!! :)

east tx skier
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
What gear ratio is a PowerSlot? The boat is a 1996...

I believe it's 1.5:1.

Ric
04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Erk, sell this guy's boat! It has a stock prop for cryin out loud

Sodar
04-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Well Son of a Gun... I have a powerslot.... who woulda thunk it!!

east tx skier
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Well Son of a Gun... I have a powerslot.... who woulda thunk it!!

Does your new one?

MMCCAR12
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Should Rip The Rope Right Out Of Your Hands When You Hit It Hard. Dont Break It Those Are Expensive.

Going back to Blythe on the 13th. It was in the 100° f a couple of weeks ago. No wet suit the water was great. Only passed 1 wake board boat all weekend.

Sodar
04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Does your new one?

Nope.... :o

Hope I am not disappointed!! :confused:

Sodar
04-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Should Rip The Rope Right Out Of Your Hands When You Hit It Hard. Dont Break It Those Are Expensive.

Going back to Blythe on the 13th. It was in the 100 f a couple of weeks ago. No wet suit the water was great. Only passed 1 wake board boat all weekend.

Was out in Parker a couple weeks ago.... weather was awesome, but the water was still a bit chilly. I will be back in Parker on the same weekend you are in Blythe and then Needles the following weekend....

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Alright, I've sat back and watched all the prop talk up until now!

I have a dinged up, stock 3-blade right now and want to upgrade.

We wakeboard mostly (with 1000 lbs+) and slalom some as well. One of my buddies said a 13x13 4-blade would probably work well.

What prop should I be looking into? I think my boat has a 1 1/8" shaft.

east tx skier
04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Alright, I've sat back and watched all the prop talk up until now!

I have a dinged up, stock 3-blade right now and want to upgrade.

We wakeboard mostly (with 1000 lbs+) and slalom some as well. One of my buddies said a 13x13 4-blade would probably work well.

What prop should I be looking into? I think my boat has a 1 1/8" shaft.

If you have a 1.125" shaft, you have a powerslot and therefore, don't want a 13x13, which is what was stock in handfinished props for the 1:1. Call Bill at Acme and Eric at OJ. Tell them what you want to do and talk to them about it.

For wakeboarding, they tend to go 4 blade with the acme IIRC. With an XMP, I'd definitely go four blade (and be prepared to lose some top end) as the surface area isn't as big as it is on an acme (and so the low end on the three blade doesn't hit as hard).

MYMC
04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks Mike! What gear ratio is a PowerSlot? The boat is a 1996...
1.52:1 whether this was stock ot not really isnt a concern since a 1:1 boat won't even plane out with a 14x18 on it...it's a slot. Hope your new one is or...well, forget I said anything.

Sodar
04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
1.52:1 whether this was stock ot not really isnt a concern since a 1:1 boat won't even plane out with a 14x18 on it...it's a slot. Hope your new one is or...well, forget I said anything.

Mike, I will let the cat out of the bag.... the new one is NOT a PowerSlot! I know, I know, I know!!! When I get it, is there some prop work that can be done, to improve it, or am I going to be displeased for the entire ownership of my new boat?

MYMC
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Mike, I will let the cat out of the bag.... the new one is NOT a PowerSlot! I know, I know, I know!!! When I get it, is there some prop work that can be done, to improve it, or am I going to be displeased for the entire ownership of my new boat?
Hmmm...not sure about the "displeased" part, if you are used to your '96 and the LT-1 with slot on a much smaller lighter boat you may have some reservations at first. Remeber though this is an apple to orange comparision. Do you ski (slalom and/or course) or is this a "family" unit doing double duty? My personal feeling it that slot is mandatory in 190/197 boats and my inventory reflects my belief. Yes we can help with prop but remember that there are always trade offs...in this case top speed for hole shot, which may or may not be a factor if you barefoot or like to speed around.

Clear as mud?

Ric
04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Nope.... :o

Hope I am not disappointed!! :confused: you will not be.............

Ric
04-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I wanna know

ump can poll it

who here has a stock prop ?

Sodar
04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Hmmm...not sure about the "displeased" part, if you are used to your '96 and the LT-1 with slot on a much smaller lighter boat you may have some reservations at first. Remeber though this is an apple to orange comparision. Do you ski (slalom and/or course) or is this a "family" unit doing double duty? My personal feeling it that slot is mandatory in 190/197 boats and my inventory reflects my belief. Yes we can help with prop but remember that there are always trade offs...in this case top speed for hole shot, which may or may not be a factor if you barefoot or like to speed around.

Clear as mud?

Clear! The boat will do double duty... I have actually never touched the course, but would love to dabble in it, since their are a few tournament lakes within a 6 mile radius of our house. Speed is not a huge issue, but I do not want a boat that will do 35mph at WOT!! I guess I will just have to see what happens once I get some time in the boat!

MYMC
04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Clear! The boat will do double duty... I have actually never touched the course, but would love to dabble in it, since their are a few tournament lakes within a 6 mile radius of our house. Speed is not a huge issue, but I do not want a boat that will do 35mph at WOT!! I guess I will just have to see what happens once I get some time in the boat!
Reading all this you'll be fine! Enjoy the new boat and remember they are not as nimble around the dock as your old one.
Congrats!

Sodar
04-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Reading all this you'll be fine! Enjoy the new boat and remember they are not as nimble around the dock as your old one.
Congrats!

Thanks Mike! Hey, do you guys still have those floormats for the 197's? I wants to get some to protect the new carpet...

MYMC
04-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks Mike! Hey, do you guys still have those floormats for the 197's? I wants to get some to protect the new carpet...
Yes sir we do.

Sodar
04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Yes sir we do.

I'll be calling ya!! :D

jenglin
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a 1.52:1 PowerSlot tranny with a 1 1/8 shaft. I discussed it with Bill at ACME and we deteremined that with a PowerSlot that we should go w/ an ACME 275 13.5x17.5 4 blade. He said for some reason the PowerSlot tranny just does not perform as well w/ a 3 blade as it does w/ a 4 blade. However, he said that boats that come stock w/ a 4 blade w/ a 1:1, the owners are switching them out and going back to a 3 blade b/c they get better results/performance. If you have any questions, I'd call him and he is very helpful and will lead you in the right way. "He" is why I bought an ACME. Such an nice guy and helpful. I'm sure they are the same way over at OJ (I didn't talk to them) but everyone seems to really like Eric and he seems to be a great guy as well. Who ever you go w/, I'm sure they will lead you to the right prop.

JR34
04-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I bought my 2001 190 last JAN and was have always wondered if I had the powerslot but never knew how to tell and didn't know to ask when I bought it.

So my question is...what is the easy way to tell if you have powerslot or not?

JR34
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I bought my 2001 190 last JAN and was have always wondered if I had powerslot but never knew how to tell and didn't know to ask when I bought it.

So my question is...what is the easy way to tell if you have powerslot or not? Hopefully I won't follow up a dumb question with an even dumber one but what does powerslot do..advantages?

jenglin
04-03-2007, 04:58 PM
They say a PowerSlot gives you more torque. So yo have a better holeshot. I have also been told that if you look at your prop you should be able to tell. 1:1 tranny has 1 inch shaft and has typically 13x13 where a 1.52:1 tranny "PowerSlot" has a 14x18 1 1/8 inch shaft. I also have a tag in my transmission that says 1.52:1. Hope this helps!

JR34
04-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I appreciate the help and look forward to getting to the boat this weekend to figure out what I have:) My guess is I do not but maybe I will have a suprise like SodarSki did.

JKTX21
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure either. I think my boat is bone stock, but I don't even know what that entails. Mongo put gas and oil in boat and it go!

I'll look into it this weekend I suppose.