PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust hose blowout - How does that happen?

AHUNTER
04-02-2007, 10:32 PM
91 Tristar 220 - Just put the boat in today & was heading across the lake to our dock when I look back to see a heavy trail of smoke coming from the boat. I pull up the cowling to find the boat full of water because of a blown exhaust hose. We almost went down. My question is how normal is that? Is it an indication of another problem? The boat is 15 yrs & they have probably never been replaced. However, she was in the local MC shop have the carb rebuilt last summer & hasn't been used since it was picked up.

Matt L.
04-03-2007, 01:23 AM
I lost one of mine a couple of years ago. The upper section that attaches to the manifold. Seemed like it gets alot more heat and wore out. The end sections look and feel good. I'm replacing all hoses except the rear exhaust hose since it doesn't look like it takes much abuse back there.

After 17 years the old 240sc is getting all new fuel and water lines.

I had to remove the risers and put in new gaskets to do my exhaust hoses..

Later,

Matt

jimmer2880
04-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Wow.. I've never heard of that before. I bet there was some pucker factor going on, on that trip. :eek:

sizzler
04-03-2007, 06:32 AM
a friend of mine was trying to start up his skibrendella on sat. i heard a huge explosion......apparently there was some waste fuel in the exhausts..it ignited and blew apart his silencers and a whole load of gel coat/fibreglass around it..another buddy of mine was leaning into the boat at the time........blew him off his feet...........

think he stained his pants

ski_king
04-03-2007, 07:54 AM
91 Tristar 220 - Just put the boat in today & was heading across the lake to our dock when I look back to see a heavy trail of smoke coming from the boat. I pull up the cowling to find the boat full of water because of a blown exhaust hose. We almost went down. My question is how normal is that? Is it an indication of another problem? The boat is 15 yrs & they have probably never been replaced. However, she was in the local MC shop have the carb rebuilt last summer & hasn't been used since it was picked up.
CHECK YOUR IMPELLER!!
If the boat was just put in for the first time of the season the impellor may have failed and caused it to overheat. The rubber hose dosn't handle exaust without water very well and will melt and/or burn.

I have seen this happen before......

WilliM1940
04-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I replaced mine from an '85 last year, in going through it the side that was down on the bilge floor in both pipes showed some type of exterior rot and delamination had occured in the layers. They were soft. They aren't held on by much, maybe a half inch engagement to the exhaust bulkhead fittings with hose clamps. Those things come off, you go down.

AHUNTER
04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
When I took the cowling off, the motor was not hot & since water was coming in the boat through the exhaust, I would think the impeller is Ok. Changing it anyway.
The guys at skidim said it is very rare for these things to blow, usually it is related to overheating in combination with a backfire. It has made 2 trips to the local MC dealer since last used : 1st to have the carb rebuilt, 2nd to have the carb properly adjusted. I am betting there was a back fire somewhere in there.

O2BESOHUGE
04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I Would Have Slowed Down And Let It Sink!! And Then Got My Insurance To Get Me A New Boat!! :)

brownbargeII
04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Mine blew off where it exits the boat last year. I took everything out and examined it, found no probs. So i cleaned it up and re-attached, its worked since then!