PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance

Hrkdrivr
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
This may not be OK to ask in this forum (I'm sure you'll let me know soon if it's not! :D ), BUT...

Who do you insure your boat with? I insured my last boat w/the same company I have my car/home/camper insurance with but never did any real homework. Any standout companies anybody could recommend? :confused:

PM me if necessary to keep outta trouble...thanks!

Chief
04-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Geico/skisafe

TMCNo1
04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
It's been discussed on here several times before.
I just renewed with SKI SAFE, 1-800-225-6560 and you do have a option of a layup period to reduce the premiums somewhat.
Just do your homework using the same coverage for all the companies to find what serves you best.

JKTX21
04-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I insure mine with Voyager. They don't offer layup on your policy though.

Jim@BAWS
04-02-2007, 11:17 PM
This may not be OK to ask in this forum (I'm sure you'll let me know soon if it's not! :D ), BUT...

Who do you insure your boat with? I insured my last boat w/the same company I have my car/home/camper insurance with but never did any real homework. Any standout companies anybody could recommend? :confused:

Global Marine Insurance. They are now the recommended insurance provider for USA WaterSki Members Tell em Jim from Bay Area WaterSports Sent ya

https://www.insuremyskiboat.com/quote/

Some of yoru other providers like Progressive use them as a resale

Go DIRECT to them and save a few bucks

Jim@BAWS

Farmer Ted
04-02-2007, 11:19 PM

I used to be with USAA but they couldn't come close to the rates offered by the USA Waterski program,

I pay $340 a year for a '98 190 and I had a claim two years ago

phecksel
04-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Skisafe claused there way out of paying any of my claim. Now insured with my homeowners, which was less expensive, without any layup. Also didn't have all the rediculous excluded activities.

Farmer Ted
04-02-2007, 11:48 PM
the insurance I have is underwritten by ACE USA, this is not Skisafe correct?

duckguy
04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
State Farm!

dmayer84
04-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I just did a quote on their site. I might be switching.

WTRSK1R
04-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Global Marine Insurance. They are now the recommended insurance provider for USA WaterSki Members Tell em Jim from Bay Area WaterSports Sent ya

Jim@BAWS

I agree with Jim. Not only are the rates very competitive, you get a free membership which includes Waterskiier magazine from USA Waterski.

Steve

Leroy
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm with State Farm all the way. My boat is only ~400 per year. I would say they have not been the cheapest, but certainly close to the lowest and I've had good results with them all my life.

This has been discussed many times and with the right search you'll pull up a lot of past information.

east tx skier
04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
I insure mine with Voyager. They don't offer layup on your policy though.

Me, too. No layup, but I don't want one. The minute I agree to that, it'll hit 80 degrees in January.

$322.

dmayer84
04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I heard from them this morning, waiting to hear back on what it will actually cost, if its anything similar to the online quote I'm lookin at about 1 k less. :D

BrianM
04-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I have mine through BoatUS. Best rate I could find in my situation and I looked all over. Less than $400 a year with no layup. I have all of my other insurance with State Farm and they were almost 3 times more for the same coverage.

Ric
04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
ski safe always took great care of me on rates and any claims I ever had for about 10 years, but they recently dropped coverage for named storms or windstorm or something that was really key coverage for my area, so I went with progressive... ~550/year with what I think is good coverage numbers...

sanjuan23
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Had mine through travelers, they renewed with my claim and it went from $340.00 a year to a whopping $360.00 with no lay up, medical and uninsured boater through the roof.

kjohnson
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Try Progressive, through your regular car insurance agent (he gets a huge discount). No lay-up period and cheap.

dmayer84
04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Try Progressive, through your regular car insurance agent (he gets a huge discount). No lay-up period and cheap.

Progressive isnt all that great, Im payin what I have now realized is way too much. As soon as my policy is up I am switching, not sure who yet, but Im pretty sure I'll find something cheaper with the same or better coverage.

Andyg
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Progressive isnt all that great, Im payin what I have now realized is way too much. As soon as my policy is up I am switching, not sure who yet, but Im pretty sure I'll find something cheaper with the same or better coverage.

Depending on when your insurance is due to expire you could always cancel your policy and get a refund of the premium. Just make sure they don'e hose you and only give back something like 20 cents on the dollar. When I cancelled my last insurance policy for my boat I received a prorated portion that seemed about right.

jraben8
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
My Voyager renewal is $360 for this year. It actually went down $25 from last year.

dmayer84
04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Depending on when your insurance is due to expire you could always cancel your policy and get a refund of the premium. Just make sure they don'e hose you and only give back something like 20 cents on the dollar. When I cancelled my last insurance policy for my boat I received a prorated portion that seemed about right.

I use them for my car insurance which my rates for are great. Ill just wait for it to expire in July and switch.

Thrall
04-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Progressive will refund 100% of your remaining premium if you cancel a policy, no BS, check in the mail right after you cancel. I haven't had any recent claims w/ them (last 10+ yrs), but the one claim I had, they handled very well. Adjuster came out, took the info, asked me to get quotes (I had quotes ready for him). Took the quotes. I told him where I wanted it fixed (the most expensive place of course). They sent a check to me within a week for that full amount. (I fixed it myself and bought new tires and a new clutch w/ what was left over.)
The only thing that pi$$ed me off lately, was they changed my boat policy to NM from AZ (after I've been in NM for 2+yrs), and my rate went up from $188 to $257 per year. DOesn't make sense since NM is much safer for the boat (less chance of getting it stolen/vandalized, less crowded lakes, less chance of crashing into another boat, shorter boating season).
That said, it'sa pretty good rate I think for $20k agreed value.

Prostar Rich
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Not sure if you have Country Companies Insurance in your area but here in the midwest we do. I have home, cars, house etc. through them and the rate on my boat is excellent. No lay up period available though but if you are like me and store your boat at a storage facility you will certainly want to have coverage.

Prostar Rich

Harvey
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
I have Drive/progessive but it is through Voyager. I have never had a claim but they have answered every question I have ever had.

rstitson
04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I have travelers. Combined with car is better than any online place we could do, with very good coverage amounts.

BriEOD
04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I used to be with USAA but they couldn't come close to the rates offered by the USA Waterski program,

I pay $340 a year for a '98 190 and I had a claim two years ago
Ditto here. Have all my other things insured with USAA. However, trying to explain that a V8 only goes 40mph doesn't cut it. So, I went with Ski Safe.

Monte
04-03-2007, 10:12 PM

That is short rating, and the co.s are required to charge it. it is usually applied only to policies that are required in your state by law.. IE auto insurance.. It is an attempt to keep people from taking out a policy long enough to get a license/ tag.. Then cancelling. Usually that extra money goes to help the state rate bureaus (pools) offset the cost of Uninsured/ underinsured motorist premiums.. Generally speaking it can't be applied to a "voluntary " policy such as homowners/ boatowners(unless it is required in your state)..

Oh yeah! Farm Bureau;)

Jerseydave
04-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Dmayer,

I was paying $332 for the 2003 Maristar with Global Marine (INAMAR)
I think the X-star is about $450 +/-.

dmayer84
04-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Dmayer,

I was paying $332 for the 2003 Maristar with Global Marine (INAMAR)
I think the X-star is about $450 +/-.

Anything is better than the $1300 with progressive

jimmer2880
04-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Anything is better than the $1300 with progressive:eek:

Wow - Some companies just don't know how to insure boats. Sounds like Progressive is one of them.

OSUspenc99
04-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey all!! I have American Family Insurance and I am very pleased with them. I have an 85 S&S and I am paying about $196 a year. Talked with someone from Global marine and they quoted me $297. Checked all the specs and everything is the exact same.

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Just got a quote from global for $521 I was paying $664+35policy fee. I will be calling them to switch in may.

WakePowell
04-04-2007, 05:02 PM
If you are still shopping, try Boaterís Insurance Agency. I have a boat similar to yours and found that the standard State Farm, Gieko and Progressive type insurance companies donít provide comprehensive coverage. The policy I have with them is underwritten by Chubb/Vigilant. They are very highly rated underwriters. The policy for my X-45 is $586/year for a full replacement value of $89k, $2,500 in extra physical damage for personnel effects (wakeboards, covers, skis etc.), sea towing ($0 deductible), trailer towing/roadside assistance ($0 deductible).

Monte
04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
If you are still shopping, try Boaterís Insurance Agency. I have a boat similar to yours and found that the standard State Farm, Gieko and Progressive type insurance companies donít provide comprehensive coverage. The policy I have with them is underwritten by Chubb/Vigilant. They are very highly rated underwriters. The policy for my X-45 is $586/year for a full replacement value of $89k, $2,500 in extra physical damage for personnel effects (wakeboards, covers, skis etc.), sea towing ($0 deductible), trailer towing/roadside assistance ($0 deductible).

Now THAT is a good deal on Ins!

TX.X-30 fan
04-04-2007, 05:27 PM

Still shaking my head, thats my current ins.co. I have the same coverage except no full replacement. I think it was 50,000 or 55,000. I think my first call will be to vigilant/ boaters ins.

thanks Wakepowell.

PendO
04-04-2007, 05:34 PM

I'm looking at the coverage documents for the X-star and it has $500 comp & collision deductible with total loss replacement through progressive ... the comp premium is 155 annually, and the collision premium is 185 ... the comp/collision deductible on the 197 is $750 and costs $121 and $ 133 respectively - with total loss replacement.

Rickkirch
04-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Progressive was good for me, $377 for my X-1 and Pontoon. How did dmayer84 get a $1,300 quote?

PendO
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Progressive was good for me, $377 for my X-1 and Pontoon. How did dmayer84 get a $1,300 quote?

under 25 years old (I think 84 is his birth year)

dmayer84
04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
under 25 years old (I think 84 is his birth year)

Your right only 22. This is the breakdown with them

Liability 90
Medical Payments 38
Comprehensive 452
Collision 712

PendO
04-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Your right only 22. This is the breakdown with them

Liability 90
Medical Payments 38
Comprehensive 452
Collision 712

you my friend are skrewd until you hit 25 or get married ... sorry:(

dmayer84
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM

Guy at work was talking about mail order brides from Brazil. One of those and a prenup, that should get my insurance down, and keep everything till im 25 and dont need her any more. :rolleyes:

WakeSeeky
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Actually, with Progressive you're screwed until you turn 35, married or not. :rolleyes:

Call around and get quotes, I discovered that it varies a lot depending on where you live. I've seen great prices from State Farm... for people that live in other states. We have all our other insurance through them and they were still three times higher than the next highest quote I received. Turns out they don't like high horsepower motors, at least in Nevada.

We ended up with Twin Rivers Marine last time I went quote gathering, www.boatinsuranceonly.com (http://www.boatinsuranceonly.com).

bkblaida
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Have been using Boat US for the last 2 years. Rate seems to fall in line with what everyone else is quoting. They offer winter "freeze" protection (good to have in Chicago) they lobby states and federal government on behalf of boat owners, easy to deal with, you get 10% discount on boat supplies at Boat US stores as well as gas discounts at certain Marinas. No complaints and recommend to everyone.

Jerseydave
04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Dmayer,

Try calling Gavin Lewis (friend) at Allstate in Flemington, NJ.
I would have used him, but he was just a little higher than Global.
908-782-6560.

Make sure you ask for him and mention my name.

School Skier
04-05-2007, 09:00 PM
We have all our insurance with American Family. We are happy with the rates we pay in the mid west.

Andyg
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I have AMFAM for house and vehicles, but they weren't even close to the others when I checked for boat insurance a few years ago.

I contacted them the other day about an umbrella policy and the first thing she says is I see you don't have a boat. I had to let her know that I will, but I wasn't planning on insuring it with them. The next question then was how many HP. Needless to say the LY6 does not help me get favorable insurance rates for an umbrella policy.

Below are a couple of online quotes I was able to get. Unfortunately the software is not user friendly enough to get the coverages to be identical. The deductibles are different and one is agreed value and one is actual cash value. I will have to give them both a call to see if I can't tweek them to see which is the best deal for agreed value.

Here is the quote from Ski Safe

Annual Premium is: $445
Boat: $53,900 Actual Cash Value
Trailer: $4,100
Medical Payments: $10,000
Deductible: $1,000
Liability: $300,000
Uninsured Boaters: Included
Towing: $600
Personal Property: $2,500(Deductible: $250)

And from Global Marine (Inamar)
Annual Premium is: $507.00

Boat: $53,900 Agreed Value
Trailer: $4,100 Agreed Value
Medical Payments: $5,000
Deductible: Boat $539, Trailer $250
Uninsured Boaters: $300,000
Towing: $500
Personal Property: $2,500(Deductible: $250)

wakeunion
04-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I like your idea of Mail Order brides from Brazil... problem is she'll leave you as soon as she meets some American women and learns to speak English. Don't think she'll last until your 25; could be fun for a couple of months though...

PHECKSEL, What did Skisafe screw you with on your claim? I just signed with them about a month ago because it seem like a good policy... think I'm paying like $460 or so...

Monte
04-05-2007, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=wakeunion]I like your idea of Mail Order brides from Brazil... problem is she'll leave you as soon as she meets some American women and learns to speak English. Don't think she'll last until your 25; could be fun for a couple of months though...

Heck no! mail order brides were mean't to be locked in the closet........:rolleyes: :D How's she gonna meet somebody8p

Leroy
04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Isn't it funny how mail order brides can be worked into the Boat Insurance thread!:rolleyes:

[quote=wakeunion]I like your idea of Mail Order brides from Brazil... problem is she'll leave you as soon as she meets some American women and learns to speak English. Don't think she'll last until your 25; could be fun for a couple of months though...

Heck no! mail order brides were mean't to be locked in the closet........:rolleyes: :D How's she gonna meet somebody8p

Monte
04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Isn't it funny how mail order brides can be worked into the Boat Insurance thread!:rolleyes:

[quote=monte72]

It sure is...:purplaugh :purplaugh

Leroy
04-06-2007, 12:38 AM
HEllo, I'm with state farm and I have your mail order bride ready and that will reduce your rate 20%!

Ha Ha, I'll have to mention this new opportunity to my agent!

Hrkdrivr
04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Great advice from everyone. I got a quote from every company mentioned, but the best deal came from Boater's Insurance Agency (800-344-7488). They got me a policy w/Chubb/Vigilant.

Actually, James worked it out w/Boater's. I guess Boater's has an incentive deal w/Mastercraft when you buy a boat from a dealer (dunno if it has to be new), seems they give you a break.

Before anyone accuses James/MC of Arkansas of any shenanigans, he doesn't make a dime off the deal; it's just a convenience thing for the customer.

I think my insurance is pretty high (relative to some prices I've seen on this thread) because I don't have much boating experience and "they" are afraid of the 450 rip-snorting horses barely contained under the hood! :D

Regardless, they were better by $100 - $500 than anyone else I talked to.

Details: (Coverage/Deductible/Premium)
Boat $72,000/$720/$464
Trailer $5,000/$100/$75
Personal Effects $2,500/$250/included
Fishing Tackle $2,500/$250/included
Liability $100k/0/$57
Fuel Spill Liability $100k/0/included
Medical Payments $10k/0/included
Uninsured Boater $100k/0/included
Towing $1k/0/included

Subtotal $596
Fully earned policy fee (huh?!?) $35
_________
Total (12 months) $631

Ryan27r
04-06-2007, 01:48 AM
farmers under the home owners policy.

Monte
04-06-2007, 02:22 AM
Liability $100k/0/$57

I would increase that.. Liability ins is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hrkdrivr
04-06-2007, 02:51 AM
I would increase that.. Liability ins is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Increase it how much?

Farmer Ted
04-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Increase it how much?

we carry 300,000 and most ski clubs require 500,000

Andyg
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I guess I am going with ski safe. I just talked to them about the policy. For the first 30 months the insurance is replacement value insurance. They will spend upto 120% of the purchase price of the boat to replace it. After that 30 months it becomes agreed value of the original purchase price. Not bad for $445 a year.

Boat: $53,900
Trailer: $4,100
Medical Payments: $10,000
Deductible: $1,000
Uninsured Boaters: Included
Towing: $600
Personal Property: $2,500(Deductible: $250

Andyg
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Great advice from everyone. I got a quote from every company mentioned, but the best deal came from Boater's Insurance Agency (800-344-7488). They got me a policy w/Chubb/Vigilant.

Actually, James worked it out w/Boater's. I guess Boater's has an incentive deal w/Mastercraft when you buy a boat from a dealer (dunno if it has to be new), seems they give you a break.

Before anyone accuses James/MC of Arkansas of any shenanigans, he doesn't make a dime off the deal; it's just a convenience thing for the customer.

I think my insurance is pretty high (relative to some prices I've seen on this thread) because I don't have much boating experience and "they" are afraid of the 450 rip-snorting horses barely contained under the hood! :D

Regardless, they were better by $100 - $500 than anyone else I talked to.

Details: (Coverage/Deductible/Premium)
Boat $72,000/$720/$464
Trailer $5,000/$100/$75
Personal Effects $2,500/$250/included
Fishing Tackle $2,500/$250/included
Liability $100k/0/$57
Towing $1k/0/included

Subtotal $596
Fully earned policy fee (huh?!?) $35
_________
Total (12 months) $631

I received a postcard in the mail from them yesterday. On the postcard it specifically stated they are the only Boat Insurance Firm endorsed by Mastercraft. I called to get a quote and while there premium was a little higher than ski safe ($35 annually) the coverage was the same or better and the deductibles were cut in half for the boat and only $100 for the trailer.

Details: (Coverage/Deductible)
Premium $480
Boat $56,500/$565 (Agreed Value)
Trailer $4,500/$100
Personal Effects $2,500/$250
Fishing Tackle $2,500/$250
Liability $300k
Fuel Spill Liability $300k
Medical Payments $10k
Uninsured Boater $300k
Towing $1k

Hrkdrivr
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Bumped the liability up to $300K (from $100K)...it only increase the 12-month premium $19. Thx for the tip, Ted!

TMCNo1
04-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I received a card today from "Boater's Insurance Agency", 1-800-344-74889, ext 510 and www.boatersinsurance.com, introducing a New Insurance Program for MasterCraft Boat owners. The card says, "We are only Boat Insurance firm to be endorced by MasterCraft. It might be worth a quote to see how they compare with everyone else.

Footin
04-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I got the same card, I think i'll stick with Nationwide.

Monte
04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Increase it how much?

Ohhh that is a tough one. It really boils down to your preference. And assumption of risk. The difference between 100k and 1,000,000 when you are talking liability is a minor increase in premium. My guess $200 a year max. Now for example say you hit a young brain surgeon fresh out of med school and his hands are severed. How much could he sue you for? That is an extremely unlikely example, but stuff happens.. and accidents involving kids could get even worse..

Andyg
04-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Ohhh that is a tough one. It really boils down to your preference. And assumption of risk. The difference between 100k and 1,000,000 when you are talking liability is a minor increase in premium. My guess $200 a year max. Now for example say you hit a young brain surgeon fresh out of med school and his hands are severed. How much could he sue you for? That is an extremely unlikely example, but stuff happens.. and accidents involving kids could get even worse..

Two Words, Umbrella Policy!

Monte
04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Two Words, Umbrella Policy!

Good call!

TX.X-30 fan
04-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Now that's morbid Monte. I have that ins. now and have gotten a quote from global for 100+ less.??

Sodar
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I received a card today from "Boater's Insurance Agency", 1-800-344-74889, ext 510 and www.boatersinsurance.com, introducing a New Insurance Program for MasterCraft Boat owners. The card says, "We are only Boat Insurance firm to be endorced by MasterCraft. It might be worth a quote to see how they compare with everyone else.

I called Boater's Insurance today and their quote for my 2007 was $75 cheaper than Ski Safe and $255 cheaper then Western Marine Insurance.

I talked with the guy for a while about Replacement Value vs. Agreed Upon Value and other topics and the policy sounded very good. He is supposed to email me the policy so I can compare and make an exact decision. Our Property Owners Association makes us carry 3 million liability and 1 million medical, plus they want to be co-insured on the policy, which drives up the cost alot! If I were to only insure the boat for public waterway use, then I would probably be paying half as much as I am... which is pretty ironic, because I trust the neighbors on my lake 100 times more than I trust some of the wackos out on other bodies of water!!! :o

wakolman
05-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I just got a postcard for boat insurance in the mail from progressive. I could get a quote online so I tried it. It was in the $220-240/yr. for agreed value, $500 deductibles on an 05 PS197. That beat my current policy by $100, and seems cheap.

Just curious if some of you would check this out and see if it returns similar rates. Variables that may make a comparison difficult are age, driving record, marital status, location, yadda yadda.

I read prev. posts that some of you got high quotes from Progressive. So what gives?

www.progressive.com/overtons

Roonie's
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Actually, with Progressive you're screwed until you turn 35, married or not. :rolleyes:

I am over 25 and under 35 and I recently got an online quote through progressive.com/overtons. No accidents on record of any kind and they quoted me 373.00 a year for my 07 X2 full replacement with $1000 deductible and 300k bodily injury and property damage. Same exact insurance as I have now through Safeco for $800 a year.

I am switiching soon. Not sure if it will be with progressive or some other company.

edeckerpc
05-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Just checked the progressive site and I can save almost $200 a year... I'm calling my insurance broker tomorrow to see what he can do.

Went with the the dealer recommended Allstate just so I could get the boat immediately in the water. Now I need to follow up and shop insurance providers.

bigmac
05-11-2008, 11:13 AM

MasterCraft also endorses Pennzoil motor oil and the filters that they have Fram make for them.

wakolman
05-11-2008, 12:10 PM
I am over 25 and under 35 and I recently got an online quote through progressive.com/overtons. No accidents on record of any kind and they quoted me 373.00 a year for my 07 X2 full replacement with $1000 deductible and 300k bodily injury and property damage. Same exact insurance as I have now through Safeco for $800 a year.

I am switiching soon. Not sure if it will be with progressive or some other company.

I upped the coverage to 250/500 for bodily injury and property damage and dropped the deductible from 1000 to 500 and it changed from $220/yr. to $240/yr. 33 yo, married, no accidents or claims in the last 5 yrs.

Their auto quotes were horrible for me. 50% higher than my current policy. :(

wakolman
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I called progressive today to ask about their cancellation policy. For my state it was $30 to cancel a policy mid term. I still went ahead and signed up.