PDA

View Full Version : X1 idling too high

BearX1
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Hello there, I'm curious if any of you have had an issue with your engine periodically idling too high? I have an '06 X1, RTP 310 hp, and every now and then, when I bring the throttle to neutral, the RPM's stay at 1200 or so. It seems to do it when the motor is hot. I then push the throttle release button, and quickly hit the throttle and the RPM's drop back down to 600 or so. It almost seems as if something is sticking. Have any of you had a similar issue? The dealer could not duplicate the symptoms, and therefore, could not fix the problem. It reminds me of a carburated motor, idling high when warming up, and you hit the accelerator to drop the RPM's down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

WTRSK1R
04-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Do you have Perfect Pass? It is possible that there is an issue with the linkage to PP that is causing it to stick. I believe there is also an issue that PP tells you to add an additional throttle return spring to correct. Overshooting the set speed is what comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

Steve

WTRSK1R
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
By the way. Did everything come out alright after the airlift? Was there any damage to the hull?

Just curious.

Steve

BearX1
04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
WTRSK1R, I've been out in the boat twice now, and all is well . . . I got lucky, thanks.

I have the Mastercraft Cruise. Do you think the same issue could apply? It sure feels like it could be a weak spring or something, because the issue seems to be directly related to the hot engine. The engine heat may be causing the spring to relax. I just don't know what I'm looking at, and was hoping someone here has experienced a similar issue.

Engine Nut
04-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Hello there, I'm curious if any of you have had an issue with your engine periodically idling too high? I have an '06 X1, RTP 310 hp, and every now and then, when I bring the throttle to neutral, the RPM's stay at 1200 or so. It seems to do it when the motor is hot. I then push the throttle release button, and quickly hit the throttle and the RPM's drop back down to 600 or so. It almost seems as if something is sticking. Have any of you had a similar issue? The dealer could not duplicate the symptoms, and therefore, could not fix the problem. It reminds me of a carburated motor, idling high when warming up, and you hit the accelerator to drop the RPM's down.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

BearX1, check your private messages. I think I know what your problem is.

Engine Nut

P-hat_in_Cincy
04-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Did the PM resolve your problem? Are you running throttle by wire?

My '04 had a similar issue and it was due to a binding in the throttle wire linkage. The brass 'L' couple was too tight and the 'butterfly valves' spring didn't have enough 'oomf' to overcome it.

BearX1
04-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Engine Nut, thanks for the PM. Paul, my issue may be the same as you described, I will check it out. Thanks to everyone for the advice . . . I'll respond if I can fix the problem . . . This discussion board ROCKS!!

Cheers.

Engine Nut
04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Engine Nut, thanks for the PM. Paul, my issue may be the same as you described, I will check it out. Thanks to everyone for the advice . . . I'll respond if I can fix the problem . . . This discussion board ROCKS!!

Cheers.

BearX1, yours is probably a different deal than Pauls. He has a mechanical throttle body and you have throttle by wire. The systems are completely different. I'm still betting on the remedy that I sent you.

Engine Nut

ORX-1
02-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I am going to try to bring the thread back to life. I have this same issue and was about to start a new thread but decided to search first. BearX1 did you get this fixed? Same issue, and I have to do the same thing, push the throttle release button, and quickly hit the throttle to get the RPM's to drop down. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

mccobmd
02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
I've had the same thing, I think it is assoc with the MC cruise because a couple of times I've started off a skier and it hasn't allowed me to go above 2000 RPM but when I stopped. Turned the motor off and back on it worked fine. Hopefully engine nut can help us all. I haven't started a thread because it was only every once in a while.

ORX-1
02-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah BearX1 gave me some insight to what fixed his issue. He said he replaced a portion of the throttle linkage assembly on top of the motor. He thinks it’s called a throttle mate. Does anyone have any experience with the “throttle mate”?

bobx1
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
I am not having the problem (07 X1) but I do have one reqeuest in case it starts to happen. PLEASE describe the possible problems and resulting fixes in the open and not through PM's. On more than once occassion, I have printed and/or emailed my dealer's service guy links to a thread - this board sure does uncover and fix a lot of problems that some MC dealers are not aware of.

ORX-1
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I am not having the problem (07 X1) but I do have one reqeuest in case it starts to happen. PLEASE describe the possible problems and resulting fixes in the open and not through PM's. On more than once occassion, I have printed and/or emailed my dealer's service guy links to a thread - this board sure does uncover and fix a lot of problems that some MC dealers are not aware of.

I agree, I called my dealer today to try to get more information and they didn't know what I was talking about. so if anyone has info on this it would be a huge help.

ORX-1
02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Okay I think we can bring closure to this issue. Per BearX1’s advice I called Larry Engelbert at Indmar Marine Engines (901) 353-9930 and he confirmed that when you have a high idle it is a result of the “throttle mate” not functioning correctly. This part is more commonly know as the petal position sensor, my understanding is that when this part is installed if they tighten the screws too tight it causes malfunction.

The part numbers are below; cost of the part is $82.00 but is fully covered under warranty.

Indmar Part # S397011TS
Mastercraft Part # 81397011

Hope this helps!

scramison
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
thats a cheap fix to a problem that can cause some unnecessary transmission stress. Does anyone know if this has happened to any of the 05 MCX X-2s?

Not that I have noticed any issues but Im just curious.

ORX-1
04-09-2009, 11:40 AM
okay to bring this thread back to life , I had the dealer replace the "throttle mate" and it did change the way the throttle moves, it no longer "clicks" when you pull it back towards to idel speed so it's a little tricky to get use too.

Along with that it STILL IDELS @ 1500!!!! Any suggestions?

bobx1
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Grasping at straws but are you using Master Cruise at the time and if so, is it in RPM or Speed mode??

hawkeye
04-09-2009, 11:59 AM
there is a throttle mate assembly near the throttle body on the engine this is your problem it wears and the play in it causes a high idle part 81397011

ORX-1
04-09-2009, 01:38 PM
there is a throttle mate assembly near the throttle body on the engine this is your problem it wears and the play in it causes a high idle part 81397011

Thats what they just replaced and it is still doing it, any chance that the new throttle mate is bad?

My MC cruise is on speed, so I don't think thats the issue but good idea to check.

mccobmd
04-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I've had my X1 (RTP) do it at times but the cruise was engaged.

ORX-1
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Mccobmd, you know when this first happend months agao I know the cruise wasn't on, but maybe these last few times it could have been left on after we got done riding, but I never use it on the "RPM" setting, which setting do you use? Thanks for the input