PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Launching 197

landscape
04-02-2007, 07:43 AM
I have a 2006 197 and am having trouble launching and recovering with trailer due to very gradualy sloped boat ramps. When launching the bow gets caught above the " V " pad and when loading the bow gets caught below the " V " pad. Has anyone experienced this or any suggestions ?

Farmer Ted
04-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I have a 2006 197 and am having trouble launching and recovering with trailer due to very gradualy sloped boat ramps. When launching the bow gets caught above the " V " pad and when loading the bow gets caught below the " V " pad. Has anyone experienced this or any suggestions ?

how far in do you have your trailer?

you may need to go in deeper or find another ramp that is steeper?

WTRSK1R
04-02-2007, 07:57 AM
I think the only time I have had this issue is when I am too deep with the trailer, but since I have not launched the boat yet this year, I may be remembering incorrectly. I put my trailer (2004 197 single axel) in so that the water is just level with the tops of the fenders, and have no real issues on the various ramps that I normally launch at.

Thats all I can think of.

Steve

sizzler
04-02-2007, 07:58 AM

i have the same problem........i dont put the trailer in as far....i almost sink it to get all the bunks wet..then pull it up the slipway......

agua4fun
04-02-2007, 08:01 AM
i have the same problem........i dont put the trailer in as far....i almost sink it to get all the bunks wet..then pull it up the slipway......

Exactly - this is the best way for me too. every once and a while i find a ramp that is still a pain, but this is the best way. - wet the bunks, pull out to the top of fenders.

bigmac
04-02-2007, 08:16 AM
i have the same problem........i dont put the trailer in as far....i almost sink it to get all the bunks wet..then pull it up the slipway......Me too.

..er..I assume that "slipway" is english (or English) for "boat ramp"..

RobertT
04-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Its normal. I for the most part only launch my boat once a year so I am no good at it. When I do, I have to use what I believe is way more power than should be needed to get the boat up to the boat buddy and in doing so usually rub some of the soft boat buddy rubber onto my boat about 12" down from the front eye.

1" of the fenders showing is best for me.

sizzler
04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Me too.

..er..I assume that "slipway" is english (or English) for "boat ramp"..

yes sir it is............you still have the kings english over ther dontcha...???:cool: :D

i have to have about 2 1/2 --3" at least of the fenders showing....i then attach the winch and wind it in myself whilst my buddy" helps" on the throttle.......

Ric
04-02-2007, 11:06 AM
velcome to da klub!

the pre-dip explained above is probably the best thing you can do for that situation...

since you cannot launch or load the 197 by going deep with the trailer, you may be able to predip deep enough that the boat juuuust begins to become bouyant and then pull forward till the fender tops are out of the water
this wets the bunks on the topsides.

watch that your water intake isn't dragging along the bunkrail too :rolleyes:

lake
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I had the same thing on my 209. I now dip the bunks then pull up until water is level with the top of the fender. I now drive right up to the bow stop with no problem.

landscape
04-02-2007, 02:09 PM
how far in do you have your trailer?

you may need to go in deeper or find another ramp that is steeper?
I am not sure. I will pay more attention next time. I have tried going deep and shallow. I think the answer is going to be rely more on the winch than on powering the boat up when taking out and wetting the bunks. When launching I think I may have to go deeper. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have only had the boat out about 5 times.

Jkelly
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree with the above on wetting the bunks and then pulling up the ramp so that the fenders are just at water level.

There is one ramp I use that is pretty steep so I have to put the fenders about 2 inches below the water line.

I have also found that if you will stay in the center of the boat when loading it helps with keeping the boat centered so you don't end up with the water intake on the bunk.

the first time I load my boat I was to deep and ripped the carpet on the V block and bent the prop on the prop guard. Bad Day :mad: