PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard behind a ps190?

rock skier
04-02-2007, 02:03 AM
I've wakeboarded a handful of times before but this summer I want to get more serious about it. I've got a prostar 190 which obviously isn't intended to be a wakeboard boat but I'm wondering if adding some fatsacks and maybe a tower to the boat would be worth the investment until I can afford a real wakeboard boat.

Edit: I forgot to mention I do have a skylon pylon extension. Would a full tower be worth it over the extended pylon on a prostar?

erkoehler
04-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Get a fat seat from the BFI/Fly High and a extended pylon and you've got a great starter boat. I'd also suggest some weight in the bow of the boat.

jimmer2880
04-02-2007, 07:26 AM
What year? I have a 95 PS190 & it throws out a pretty decent wakeboard wake. Nothing like an x-star, but it's not bad.

Cary K.
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
I had an '88 190 and added a Fat Seat in the back and about 400lbs under the closed bow. Wake was pretty good, but it sat low, and I had to be careful in rough water. I also added a tower. Not sure the pull was any different than from an extended pylon, but it made it nicer to have the extra room in the boat. It seemed to be easier to sell as well, and I got every penny (and then some) back out of it when I sold it.

SouthWaker
04-02-2007, 09:22 AM
The tower is a good investment. It will add value to your boat and also get the boards out the way. The 190 is a small boat once you get a fat sac and one or two boards in it.

rock skier
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
That's a good point about it being a small boat. Maybe I will save up for a tower just for the room. It's already cramped with the slalom skis, tubes, and cooler next to the starboard side of the engine cover...

JKTX21
04-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I have a '96 190 setup for wakeboarding. I was in the same situation as you, love to wakeboard, can't afford a wake boat. It has a wake that is def. acceptable for my riding level.

If you end up not getting a tower, I think they have board racks that can mount to the top of the pylons. It is a real PITA if you have all of your gear in the floor.

beatle78
04-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi rock skier,

It just so happens I had the same dilemma with my Malibu Response(closed bow). I bought a fat seat to replace the rear seat and also put a fat sac in the bow and my boat threw a pretty decent wakeboarding wake.

Now that my boat is for sale, I'm selling the fat seat, the sac for the bow and the pump. They are all basically brand new (used for less than 6 weeks).

e-mail me if interested.

CarlosCabanas
04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Until your throwing huge tricks you don't need an X-star wake!! Most wakeboarders would probably be just fine behind a row boat!! Leaves smoother waters for the rest of us!! I wakeboarded behind a 96 prostar last year with no fat sacks. If your running the right speed it should be just fine until you want inverts. Then add weight. Too many people learning to wakeboard with huge wakes!!! IMO!!!;)

Carlos

Cary K.
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I agree w/ what Carlos said. IMO smaller wakes help you learn the correct egding technique and board control.

JKTX21
04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Until your throwing huge tricks you don't need an X-star wake!! Most wakeboarders would probably be just fine behind a row boat!! Leaves smoother waters for the rest of us!! I wakeboarded behind a 96 prostar last year with no fat sacks. If your running the right speed it should be just fine until you want inverts. Then add weight. Too many people learning to wakeboard with huge wakes!!! IMO!!!;)

Carlos

Well if you are really good, you shouldn't need ANY weight to do inverts. And you are right, a lot of my friends have gotten lazy in their riding with huge wakes.

CarlosCabanas
04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
It's kind of like a ***** envy thing. Big wakes don't mean big tricks.... being a good rider does however!! The more time you spend on the water the better you'll be!!

rock skier
04-02-2007, 06:12 PM
It seems that I might be doing myself a service learning on a smaller wake and then moving up to a larger one once I get better. Sounds like the tower still might be worth looking into.

JKTX21 - the pylon rack might be a viable option too I'll look into it. Thanks!

Doug G
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Last summer 2 guys riding behind a runabout with next to no wake were getting some huge air ... they had to learn technique ... gave them a pull behind the x-30 and loaded the ballast . the 2nd guy got so much air I lost sight of him out the TOP of the mirror followed by the handle falling back down and him coming down in a protective cannonball. After all the laughter and admiration settled he was nailing huge air. All because he learned good technique ...

IMHO learning good technique without the crutch of a lauch ramp wake will pay more dividends in the long run. That and a good instructor and/or instructional DVD.

SNOOTYSKIER
04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
You should look into a good used wakeboard boat. 190's are for slaloming.

rock skier
04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Last summer 2 guys riding behind a runabout with next to no wake were getting some huge air ... they had to learn technique ... gave them a pull behind the x-30 and loaded the ballast . the 2nd guy got so much air I lost sight of him out the TOP of the mirror followed by the handle falling back down and him coming down in a protective cannonball. After all the laughter and admiration settled he was nailing huge air. All because he learned good technique ...

IMHO learning good technique without the crutch of a lauch ramp wake will pay more dividends in the long run. That and a good instructor and/or instructional DVD.

haha, I would have like to have seen that. It reminds me of a time when I was riding a wakeboard, a ~20' bayliner drove across our bow fairly slowly. I was aiming for the double up and my buddy driving decided it'd be funny to hit the throttle. Let's just say I've never been that high off the water before besides jumping off cliffs!

JKTX21
04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
You should look into a good used wakeboard boat. In addtion, check out my sweet tuxedo t-shirt.

I change my mind, I agree with Snooty. 8p

SkySkiSpokane
04-02-2007, 07:30 PM

I wish I couldv'e seen that. Remeber back in the day when the pro wakeboard tour was being pulled behind seadoos and Shapiro was throwin huge inverts!! That was technique!!

Hey Rock, where are you at in the PNW??

rock skier
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I wish I couldv'e seen that. Remeber back in the day when the pro wakeboard tour was being pulled behind seadoos and Shapiro was throwin huge inverts!! That was technique!!

Hey Rock, where are you at in the PNW??

I'm in the middle of lake washington

vogelm1
04-02-2007, 08:04 PM
We have a 197 w/Fly High extended pylon and rear seat sac - works just fine for us. We mostly slalom and barefoot until the water gets rough, then pull out the wakeboards. That set up pushes up enough wake to do the basics and some advanced level inverts...tantrums, backrolls, raleys, and others have been done behind our boat. As mentioned above - it is a good set up to dial in the technique and you'll be surprised how much air you can grab with your 190.

DrJ
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Sometimes you have to make due with what you have. You can invest a lot of money into your 190 to try and turn it to a wake boat, so be careful. The hull is less than optimal but it will work. I had a PS 190, put on a new dimension tower and used fat sacs (or 7-8 friends sitting all over the boat). It worked well for me. But there is an extreme difference between that old 190 and my X2. Good luck with that.

ilikeitglacy
04-02-2007, 08:20 PM
thing is with smaller boat you will need more speed in order to get the same air time you get with bigger wake and less speed. and one should know that speed is the first reason why crashes hurt so much...:rolleyes:

SDAhockey21
04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
I think pictures are in order!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2559_0004.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/grab.jpg

That is the pop I get out of our 96 190 with no ballest. Only 2 Adults in the boat and 2 kids. Plus the water was frezing and i didn't want to wipe out and get cold again so i wasn't pushing it to hard.

The pop is much better than this when you put a 550+ sack in the back, in place of the rear seat and about 300-400 in the front of the bow. But then you lose seating... Sooooo

DrJ
04-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I cant say that I agree 100% with the speed comment. You still need a fair amount of speed with the wake boats. The wake is much larger but also much wider. You still need the speed to clear the wake.

Cary K.
04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I tend to disagree with the speed comment as well. A smaller lighter boat can run slower and still maintain a clean wake, whereas a heavier ballasted boats need to run faster to accomplish the same thing. And generally the faster you go the smaller the wake gets (bad comparison, but surf speed vs. wakeboard speed vs. slalom speed). My $0.02.

CarlosCabanas
04-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I also disagree with the speed comment!8p

Thrall
04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
You won't have any trouble boarding behind the 190. The tower isn't going to help you w/ boarding any more than the extended pylon, other than cool factor and room to get all your boards up and out of the boat. As the boat owner, the tower inspires a little more confidence that you're not going to bend the pylon when cutting hard, but my boat had pulled boarders for years off of a skylon pylon w/ no damage to the factory ski pylon.
I'm not very good at boarding, no inverts for me yet, or ever maybe, but the guy we bought the boat from had to take a "last ride" while we were test driving it, and he was pulling invert tricks off the skylon pylon w/ virtually no weight in the boat (2 people and 1/4 tank of gas).
IMO, you gotta be pretty good to "need" a wakeboat.
Now "wanting" one is a different story!

tuffenuff
04-03-2007, 01:49 PM
On this same topic, I was advised to place sacs on both sides of the engine cover. Got the sacs, but haven't tried it yet. Am I waisting my time with this config? (My kidz and I also ride a PS190).

Jkelly
04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I use sacs when we are surfing behind my 197. I put a tube sacs under the rear set and a side sacs on each side of the engine works well.

Cary K.
04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
On this same topic, I was advised to place sacs on both sides of the engine cover. Got the sacs, but haven't tried it yet. Am I waisting my time with this config? (My kidz and I also ride a PS190).

No you are not wating your time. It will help the wake get bigger. The reason fatseats are being mentioned is that it frees up room in the boat as it is functional and heavy, very heavy. You def need to add weight in the front with the seat though. With mid ship sacs, you are weighting the boat more evenly.

I use sacs when we are surfing behind my 197. I put a tube sacs under the rear set and a side sacs on each side of the engine works well.

Try putting as much weight as you can on the side you are surfing only, you should notice a great improvement in the surf wake.

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM

You can put sacks where ever you want, it will shape the wake depending upon placement. The more weight in the rear, the taller the wake will get (but can also wash out easily). I'd say running two 500lbs sacks along the engine would probably be good, if you want to keep your back seat.

A good rule of thumb is 60-65% of your weight in the rear and the rest up front.

Jkelly
04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
No you are not wating your time. It will help the wake get bigger. The reason fatseats are being mentioned is that it frees up room in the boat as it is functional and heavy, very heavy. You def need to add weight in the front with the seat though. With mid ship sacs, you are weighting the boat more evenly.

Try putting as much weight as you can on the side you are surfing only, you should notice a great improvement in the surf wake.

I will give that a try next week. Thanks :D

tuffenuff
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
DITTO, Thanx all!!

jayocheskey
04-03-2007, 04:41 PM
If all else fails, call up some of your "big-boned" friends. They are much easier to shuffle around the boat until you find a configuration that works for your wake.

I have two younger (but WAY bigger than me) brothers that I have knick-named my fat-sacs during the summer time. I don't get in the boat without 'em. haha

C36
04-03-2007, 04:50 PM
This (http://andrewdavis.tigerboatdocks.com/mastercraft/alliance2.jpg) article talks about older tow boats (including mid-90's ProStar 190) being used as wakeboard boats and fat sac placement.

SDAhockey21
04-03-2007, 04:56 PM
This (http://andrewdavis.tigerboatdocks.com/mastercraft/alliance2.jpg) article talks about older tow boats (including mid-90's ProStar 190) being used as wakeboard boats and fat sac placement.

cool thanks

ilikeitglacy
04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
thing is with smaller boat you will need more speed in order to get the same air time you get with bigger wake and less speed. and one should know that speed is the first reason why crashes hurt so much...:rolleyes:
speed as ''cutting towards the wake'' not ''boat speed''

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The difference in speed to clear the wake is marginal if any. If I really want to, I can go wake to wake cutting in from about 5 feet. It's all in the technique you use. I usually take a set with no ballast to warm up and work for the pop. Makes life that much easier on the rest of the sets.

And a disclaimer, I wouldn't consider myself better than beginner/intermediate on a wakeboard.

ilikeitglacy
04-03-2007, 09:17 PM
well i found out that air time is the key for fun wakeboarding.and
speed into the wake + height of wake =AIR TIME
i also found that speed is not my friend on my wakeboard,that why i'd rather wakeboard behind an x-star than my x7,but you know what..i'D rather SLALOM so i'll stick to the X7...8p

JKTX21
04-03-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm slowly transitioning to the slalom as I get beat up more as the summers go by... :(

rock skier
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
wow, this thread blew up. Thanks for the opinions guys!

TI Skiier
04-05-2007, 11:45 PM
We used to have a 92 PS 190 and it worked fine for WB, Just throw a sack in the back and put up the pole... Our son learned to throw back and front rolls off of it. Now, our X7 is a lot better for boarding and still a great ski boat too!

Leroy
04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Maybe it's time for a 190 wakeboard category. Give the boarders a challenge to try.;)

MCsJCPs
07-09-2007, 04:41 PM
can't let this die. 86 ps190 and fairly new to wakeboarding. previous experience was skurfing. i am going to add the fly high pylon extension and was wondering if it will now be safe to use the rear seats while towing?

Maristar210
07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
can't let this die. 86 ps190 and fairly new to wakeboarding. previous experience was skurfing. i am going to add the fly high pylon extension and was wondering if it will now be safe to use the rear seats while towing?

You should be fine....

Boogieman
07-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I loved my PS190 for wakeboarding . . on the other side . . I pretty much suck at wakeboarding :D

latch
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Have a 98PS190 rigged for wakeboarding. Had a custom tower built with built in bimini top. We place a fat sac between engine cover and rear seat. We get unbelievable wakes with this set up. I tried removing the rear seat and set the sac all the way to the back. The boat bogs down and handles bad. I have tried adding weight under the bow. Word of caution. The bow will ride real low and if you are not carefull, water over the bow. I have even had water come over the windshield. THis is not something to happen to a beginner. I would recommend leaving the bow weight out.

MCsJCPs
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
perhaps did you run the fatsac seat in the rear?

MCsJCPs
07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Have a 98PS190 rigged for wakeboarding. Had a custom tower built with built in bimini top. We place a fat sac between engine cover and rear seat. We get unbelievable wakes with this set up. I tried removing the rear seat and set the sac all the way to the back. The boat bogs down and handles bad. I have tried adding weight under the bow. Word of caution. The bow will ride real low and if you are not carefull, water over the bow. I have even had water come over the windshield. THis is not something to happen to a beginner. I would recommend leaving the bow weight out.

to quick on the gun wasn't i. thx for the info. does having the sac between the engine cover and rear seat leave the rear seat usable. the wife and her girlfriends are more about comfort than my wake!

latch
07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Tip on wakeboarding. If you are new to boarding, keep it basic. Everyone wants a big wake. Be CAREFULL. I have had young boarders really hurt themselves trying to be like the pros. Get a nice wake setup and enjoy.

latch
07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
The rear seat is still usuable. The trick is to have the passengers move around on the rear seat till you get the wake that you want. You will be surprised with results.

MCsJCPs
07-09-2007, 05:59 PM
i believe if i go with the extended pylon, keep a mostly full tank of gas and have a couple of folks on the rear seat this should give me more wake than i would even now what to do with. thx for the tips.

MCsJCPs
07-09-2007, 05:59 PM
many thx latch. do any wakeboard surfing?

ogrover3
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
i have a '91 ps 190 and i have put a 750lb sack in the back and the twin 450 sacks on the side of the engine. the wake has definitly got pop. i have also got a monster tower with one board rack. with all the sacks there is very little room in the boat. it is only functional for wakeboarding really. not for anything else. the back seat is still functional.

i have had the boat only for 4 months now and really would like to move up to an older x series boat. not that the ps is not good enough but i think alot more comfort would come from the newer boat. not to mention the approximate 30 mins to fill and empty the sacks. plus storing them and hauling to and from the lake.

good luck

clevan
07-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I have an '88 ps 190 with a tower. The tower was well worth the investment. With a couple of friends in the back seat the wake seems to be fine for my son and his friends. I haven't tried any inverts behind the boat but I can get plenty of air. I still love to slalom and haven't been willing to add any weight to the boat other than the tower.