PDA

View Full Version : $#$%^^& Impellor

phecksel
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Remind me to never replace an impellor just because. My old tristar had something like 12 years on the first impellor, before it fell apart in pieces. So, on my 197, I decided to replace it after 3 years, and what a pita that was. Finally pulled on each vane with a pair of needle nose and rotated the engine a couple of turns, pulled the vanes...

Leroy
04-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm with you! Well maybe every 3-5 years I'll change. On my V-drive big PITA. I'll change the impeller when it quits working,

east tx skier
04-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Change mine every spring. Spent ski time back flushing a friend's boat when his shredded. It can be tedious, but enough lube and they'll move.

Footin
04-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Every other year for me, but mine has been pretty easy.

bcampbe7
04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Change mine every spring. Spent ski time back flushing a friend's boat when his shredded. It can be tedious, but enough lube and they'll move.

x2

I change mine every Spring as well. It is a pain but I don't want to take the chance of it failing. My luck it would fail in the middle of the lake. Of course I always carry a spare. ;)

Kevin 89MC
04-02-2007, 01:01 AM
I don't change mine every year, but I do pull it out every fall. Grab 2 old style paint can openers, slide them in, hook the back of the impeller and give them a hard pull. Do this on a recently run engine that is still warm. I really struggled on a cold engine, but when warm they tend to pop out without too much trouble.
Good luck.