PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

Stephen Nordquist
04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Finally have 110 hours on my mcx engine and i want to use synthetic oil. shell makes a synthetic 5w 40w that is rated diesel with the appropriate ratings for this engine. Can't find 15w 40w in synthetic, will the shell rotella 5w 40w be all right? I am worried that 5w might be to light . Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks steve

bigmac
04-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Finally have 110 hours on my mcx engine and i want to use synthetic oil. shell makes a synthetic 5w 40w that is rated diesel with the appropriate ratings for this engine. Can't find 15w 40w in synthetic, will the shell rotella 5w 40w be all right? I am worried that 5w might be to light . Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks steve15W40 that meets or exceeds API service classification CH-4/SJ is what you need to keep your warranty valid, so no, there is no 5W40 that meets Indmar's warranty requirements. If you really feel the need to use synthetic, consider Mobil Delvac 1300 Super (http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2CVLMOMobil_Delvac_1300_Super.asp) or Amsoil (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx)

Dean Witmer
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
I have used mobil 1 synthetic in my boats for many years and am very happy with it. It comes in a variety of weights. It is expensive compared to regular oil but worth every penny.

bkblaida
04-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Consider using Amsoil 10-40W Marine. 100% synthetic AND formulated for Marine engines. Marine formulations carry a blend of additives to allow a higher % of water to enter the oil vs standard automobile formulations. I have been using Amsoil products in all 3 cars, the MC and all lawn tools for several years and ithe products have exceeded all my expectations. Amsoil.com will give you a better understanding of why Amsoil (the first synthetic) is still the best.

bigmac
04-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I have used mobil 1 synthetic in my boats for many years and am very happy with it. It comes in a variety of weights. It is expensive compared to regular oil but worth every penny.

Why is it worth every penny?

bigmac
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I swear to g0d, these oil company marketing departments have to be populated with geniuses...:rolleyes:

PendO
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I swear to g0d, these oil company marketing departments have to be populated with geniuses...:rolleyes:

Hey BigMac ... I thought I had heard from someone that there are only 2 or 3 different oil companies that sell products in the US, and that many "brands" are just private labeld like laundry soap is for various supermarkets, etc ... I think there is even a flow chart that shows the inter-relationship ... is there any truth to that, anyone have a flow chart?

Also, I think there needs to be a "synthetic oil" post in the FAQ thread:)

bigmac
04-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Hey BigMac ... I thought I had heard from someone that there are only 2 or 3 different oil companies that sell products in the US, and that many "brands" are just private labeld like laundry soap is for various supermarkets, etc ... I think there is even a flow chart that shows the inter-relationship ... is there any truth to that, anyone have a flow chart?

Also, I think there needs to be a "synthetic oil" post in the FAQ thread:)

Yes, AFAIK that's basically true. It's all one big shell game. The lubricant industry has been and remains one of the great shining beacons of hucksterism in this country. I thought it had peaked when Andy Granetelli, the PT Barnum of the oil industry, foisted STP on an unsuspecting public. As it turns out, the opportunities for, uh, "creative" marketing afforded by the development of synthetic lubricants have eclipsed even Andy's vivid imagination.

JKTX21
04-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I vote no (if there was a poll for synthetics). You are supposed to change oil every 50 hours anyway, and I don't think you can come out ahead on the cost/benefit for using sythetic engine oil. I do use synthetic in my truck though, but I put about 3-4K miles per month on it, and I don't feel like running to the qwik lube every month.

IMO! :)

bigmac
04-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Consider using Amsoil 10-40W Marine. 100% synthetic AND formulated for Marine engines. Marine formulations carry a blend of additives to allow a higher % of water to enter the oil vs standard automobile formulations. I have been using Amsoil products in all 3 cars, the MC and all lawn tools for several years and ithe products have exceeded all my expectations. Amsoil.com will give you a better understanding of why Amsoil (the first synthetic) is still the best.

.................http://mccollister.info/gifs/banghead.gif

trickskier
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Bigmac...........you've convinced me to stay with a good dino-oil & good filter..........Can't believe all of those commercials.......:rolleyes:

Jkelly
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I use Amsoil 15W-40, because that is what I use in my truck, I also drive 3-4K miles a month. I still change the oil in my boat every 50 hours.

bigmac
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
http://mccollister.info/gifs/groupwave2.gif

WilliM1940
04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I hear what you are all saying about Dino being plenty good, but it seems that if you can get an oil which is CH-4 diesel rated with a broad range of viscosity (5-40), and high detergent to boot, wouldn't that be worth the extra cash (how much is a gallon of gas)? Wouldn't the cold rated viscosity guarantee a faster delivery on startup? Mobil 1 5-40 Truck and SUV claims to be diesel rated.

I've been reading that the only good reason for using diesel rated oil in a boat (besides warranty) would be for older engines with flat faced cam followers as the additives required for this type of assembly no longer live in present automotive oils due to the change over to roller follower assemblies as stock. So maybe Rotella is even a waste for boats out of warranty?

bigmac
04-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I hear what you are all saying about Dino being plenty good, but it seems that if you can get an oil which is CH-4 diesel rated with a broad range of viscosity (5-40), and high detergent to boot, wouldn't that be worth the extra cash (how much is a gallon of gas)? Wouldn't the cold rated viscosity guarantee a faster delivery on startup? Mobil 1 5-40 Truck and SUV claims to be diesel rated.

I've been reading that the only good reason for using diesel rated oil in a boat (besides warranty) would be for older engines with flat faced cam followers as the additives required for this type of assembly no longer live in present automotive oils due to the change over to roller follower assemblies as stock. So maybe Rotella is even a waste for boats out of warranty?
There's nothing wrong with synthetic oil. OTOH, it's not magic either. It adds no advantage other than piece of mind for those who have succumbed to a particular marketing campaign. Those who wish to spend the extra dollars to use synthetic oil - good on ya. But why try to out-think Indmar on the viscosity issue? Viscosity is far more important to an oil's performance in a given application than whether it's made from group II or group III base stocks. If we were talking about synthetic oil vs oil from the days before catalytic refinement - I'd agree that synthetic is the only way to go. But the difference in performance between today's group II oils and synthetic in normal daily use (even to include, say, the New York taxi cab test) is just not there. People keep saying "it's worth the extra money" or "I've used it for years and I'm very happy with it"...I would ask "why?" Does it make the boat go faster? Is quieter? Does it start better? Does it accelerate quicker? Better mileage? No, of course not...none of those things. What they're saying is "I use synthetic and my boat/car hasn't had an oil-related catastrophic engine failure since I switched". Like that happens every day...and "that NASCAR driver on TV told me it's better for my engine".

By all means - one should use synthetic oil if it makes one feel more secure...the cost difference at two oil changes per year is negligible as a percentage of the boat's total annual cost. But really, let's think critically about the merits, and if we're going to defend our choice of oils, we should do more than cut and paste amusing marketing slogans from Amsoil's web site.

bigmac
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Also, I think there needs to be a "synthetic oil" post in the FAQ thread:)I agree, but someone would have to provide a counterpoint.

WilliM1940
04-02-2007, 07:03 PM
mmmm... don't know anything about Amsoil. I am more concerned with the 5-40 rating of Mobil SUV versus the accepted standard of 15-40 Rotella. My particular engine on dry start after a change is scary noisy until pressure builds. I get a couple of good knocks. I want to get that lube up there fast as possible, the thinner cold rating may do this and you can only get thinner cold ratings in synthetics. The 351 runs extremely quiet when lubed.

alpine740
04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
It is interesting how many people have opinions on oil based on???? I sent a dino oil sample from my Expedition to Blackstone Labs that had 4K miles on the oil. I then switched to Mobil 1 and ran the oil for 12K miles and sent in another sample. The synthetic had fewer wear elements present in the oil despite the significantly higher mileage. The synthetic still had life left in it according to the lab analysis. I switched at 90K miles and now have 189K miles on the Expedition with no oil leaks and no oil consumption; so don't let anyone tell you that you can't change from dino to synthetic. The synthetic cured the knocking on startup that occured when using the dino juice.

TMCNo1
04-02-2007, 08:08 PM
.................http://mccollister.info/gifs/banghead.gif

Bigmac, I feel your pain!
But will synthetic work as chain oil on my $65 chainsaw, cause I GOT SOME INNERTUBES TO CUT UP HERE SHORTLY!

bigmac
04-02-2007, 09:15 PM
It is interesting how many people have opinions on oil based on???? In my particular case, oil formulation, testing and packaging is was) the family business. Petroleum chemistry was dinner table conversation as I was growing up. My summer jobs were in the lab running the same atomic absorption analyzer and infrared spectrophotometer that Blackstone Labs uses (and getting coffee for the petroleum chemists). I admit my career path ultimately took a different direction in college, but I've always found the oil business to be fascinating.

My cousins, who ultimately owned the business after my dad and his brother retired, recently sold the whole shebang and retired themselves, more or less. Last summer I spent some time on my cousin's boat on Lake of the Ozarks. I sometimes think I might have made a mistake in career choice.

TMCNo1
04-02-2007, 09:23 PM
In my particular case, oil formulation, testing and packaging is the family business. Petroleum chemistry was dinner table conversation as I was growing up. My summer jobs were in the lab running the same atomic absorption analyzer and infrared spectrophotometer that Blackstone Labs uses (and getting coffee for the petroleum chemists). I admit my career path ultimately took a different direction in college, but I've always found the oil business to be fascinating.

Now, does anyone understand what bigmac just said. I did!
There will be a 'Pop Quiz" next week to see if ya'll learned anything!

Listen to him now or see him later for a Colonoscopy, which would you rather have! He knows LUBRICATION!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Bigmac, I feel your pain!
But will synthetic work as chain oil on my $65 chainsaw, cause I GOT SOME INNERTUBES TO CUT UP HERE SHORTLY!
You hangin with Toober Tom, Dooker and Hillbilly Toober Harold? :confused:

Footin
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't know that much about oil, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

04-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I admit my career path ultimately took a different direction in college, but I've always found the oil business to be fascinating.
Yea, you used to study dinosaur guts, now you study people guts. :cool: ;)

04-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't know that much about oil, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
How was the futon? comfy?

bigmac
04-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know that much about oil, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Cripes! It took me 5 days at a Holiday Inn Express to get a medical license...

04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Cripes! It took me 5 days at a Holiday Inn Express to get a medical license...
Well you overpaid!! :o :o It only took 2 to get my engineer degree and taxidermy certificate, aand thats like the same thing...