PDA

View Full Version : Just rebuilt the carb and started for the first time.....

hz900
04-01-2007, 02:34 AM
Just rebuilt the carb.. 4010... and it was running rich last year before I put it up for the winter and when I started it today it ran like crap... expectedly as I haven't adjusted the carb or haven't done anything else. Anyway, I pulled a couple plugs to see if they were fouled out and I pulled the one on the front passenger side and it was dry, then the one on the rear passenger side, and it was soaked in gas and oil.

I'm going to buy a full set of plugs and install them, but wondering on everyone's thoughts on this. Also any suggestions on setting the carb properly would be appreciated as well. I know how to adjust the two mixture screws, but the float screws and idle screw I have no idea. Right now it is in the carport and won't be ran in the water until atleast next Sunday, but I have to get it atleast idling right before I put it in the water.

But on a good note I did something right because it started up MUCH easier than last summer after sitting for 5 months. I didn't have to crank it forever while messing with the throttle for 5 or so minutes to get it to crank.

alp
04-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I have a 4010. Debating weather to rebuild or replace. Was acting up at the end of last year - runs fine until I shut it off then re-start - then low idle or stall. A friend has a new 4160 I can get for about 400. Will have to get/find a new fuel line too though. I talked to SKI DIM they have a renew kit for the 4010. Did you do the rebuild on yours?

hz900
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I have a 4010. Debating weather to rebuild or replace. Was acting up at the end of last year - runs fine until I shut it off then re-start - then low idle or stall. A friend has a new 4160 I can get for about 400. Will have to get/find a new fuel line too though. I talked to SKI DIM they have a renew kit for the 4010. Did you do the rebuild on yours?

Yes I did the rebuild on mine, bought the kit from Holley. I probably will buy a new 4160 before the summer is out, but spent the ~$45 now just to get it running decent to start the summer. I am doing several other things to the boat so money was not there for a new carb right now.

hz900
04-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Tinkered with it some more this evening, and found out that when the boat is started, I have to keep the throttle pressed or it dies. So I took off the air cleaner to see what it was doing, and when I start the engine the vent tube for the secondaries is pouring gas. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong on the rebuild to cause this?

TMCNo1
04-02-2007, 09:12 AM
I learned from racers, you never turn a Holley upside down, cause the floats will stick in the up position, filling up the bowls and overflowing out the vent tubes.

Matt L.
04-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Either your floats are badly out of adjustment or the needle and seats are sticking open or are the wrong ones.

Later,

matt

mrG
04-03-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm going to attempt to rebuild my 4010 this week. The last time out on the boat it started running rough with a lot of rich smoke, and would barely idle.
Since the 4010 is no longer available and any alternate model would be expensive and require additional mods to be done ie fuel line, pump etc... I'll risk the the cost of the renew kit ($55) and take my chances.
However, if it goes like some of the other threads on rebuilding the "Fishbowl" , I may be back to bow at the altar of the Holley 4160.

Jimmy O
04-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounds like your float(s) are sticking. The ones in the 4010 are plastic and look quite flimsy. Holley has a better replacement and is more durable. When i rebuilt mine, one was actually broken. Suprisingly, the carb seems quite simple.