PDA

View Full Version : Foiling Video... WHOA:)

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 09:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZsplkhqYcg

CarlosCabanas
03-31-2007, 09:57 PM
That Rocks!! He should be wearing a helmet though!! Imagine the spills!! Does anybody know what kind of speeds they run at?

Carlos

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZHfko73vS0

CarlosCabanas
03-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Cool vid as well!! Here's another question.... Does it matter if it's choppy when you air chair? I would think it wouldn't matter as much because the wing is submerged?

Carlos

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 10:10 PM
I have no answers to your questions Carlos but this guy would be as fun to watch on a trampoline as he would here:D

bigmac
03-31-2007, 10:11 PM
That Rocks!! He should be wearing a helmet though!! Imagine the spills!! Does anybody know what kind of speeds they run at?

CarlosGeno runs about 26 from what I read. He is just amazing on that thing - gotta be the best ever on a foil.

There are a number of videos at http://www.foilfreaks.com/04videos.htm

bigmac
03-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Cool vid as well!! Here's another question.... Does it matter if it's choppy when you air chair? I would think it wouldn't matter as much because the wing is submerged?

CarlosNo, choppy water makes zero difference. Completely smooth on the foil.

bigmac
03-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Here's Geno@BAWS (http://www.foilfreaks.com/Misc/Geno-LakeBonny-1-04.wmv)....

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Somehow I knew this would spark your interest HMC

Really cool.

Dumb question but how hard is that invert on a foil compared to a WB?

bigmac
03-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Somehow I knew this would spark your interest HMC

Really cool.

Dumb question but how hard is that invert on a foil compared to a WB?Wrong guy to ask. I've never tried an invert on a wakeboard and I've tried, landed, but never ridden away from an invert on a foil.

My suspicion is that it would be easier on a hydrofoil. It's harder to learn to ride, but once you do, that foil gives tremendous leverage. Lemme tell ya, as slow as 20 mph, even a hack like me can really launch a hydrofoil many feet into the air. Relative to inverts, getting way into the air isn't my problem - neither is getting upside down. My problem is getting back rightside up, pointed straight, sitting right, and hanging onto the rope all at the same time.

Maristar210
03-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Wrong guy to ask. I've never tried an invert on a wakeboard and I've tried, landed, but never ridden away from an invert on a foil.

My suspicion is that it would be easier on a hydrofoil. It's harder to learn to ride, but once you do, that foil gives tremendous leverage. Lemme tell ya, as slow as 20 mph, even a hack like me can really launch a hydrofoil many feet into the air. Relative to inverts, getting way into the air isn't my problem - neither is getting upside down. My problem is getting back rightside up, pointed straight, sitting right, and hanging onto the rope all at the same time.

Thanks. Looks like a frickin blast:D :D

agua4fun
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
My buddy took a lesson from geno at his house, i got to ride along. afterward, geno foiled & wakeboarded. man hat guy is AWESOME!! he just keeps going like that, never stops momentum trick after trick after trick....... he's a great guy too

agua4fun
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
My buddy took a lesson from geno at his house, i got to ride along. afterward, geno foiled & wakeboarded. man hat guy is AWESOME!! he just keeps going like that, never stops momentum trick after trick after trick....... he's a great guy too

SkySkiSpokane
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
don't try it unless you are prepared to buy one. It is an instant addication!!!! :headbang:

Footin
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Very cool.

bigmac
04-01-2007, 10:45 PM
don't try it unless you are prepared to buy one. It is an instant addication!!!! :headbang:
Well....after you learn to get up on one it is. THAT has a time frame that can vary widely from person to person..

CarlosCabanas
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Anyone got any video of getting up on one of those things??

trickskier
04-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Cool video

bigmac
04-02-2007, 09:11 AM

I actually think Bob Woolley's instructional video that comes with the Air Chair is pretty informative about the basics of learning. Air Chair sells that in DVD form for $20 (AirChair.com (http://www.airchair.com/products/videos.htm), looks like the Discovery Channel Stunt Junkies of Geno jumping over a MasterCraft is downloadable there too)- I don't know where else you might find videos for the beginner. Most of the hydrofoil sites tend more toward the elite riders -- people who are jumping 50 frames, building their own boards, investments at $5000 per hydrofoil, and then you have to sift through a lot of arguing and complaining about the politics of the sport...it's kind of a drag. If you go to a fly-in, you'll have people lined up willing to teach you, but basic hydrofoiling doesn't get much play on the internet that I can find.

Jim@BAWS
04-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Good Morning everyone....nice to get up with Geno getting so much play on TMC. He is Bay Area WaterSports sponsered skier and also a MC TEAM skier that represents the HYDROFOIL community. Those original videos where shot on Geno's old lake, Lake Bonny in Lakeland. He recently moved to Lake Lulu in Winterhaven.

Geno's website is www.foiltime.com

Thanks

Jim@BAWS

RobertT
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I bought an air chair a few years ago. Took a whole day to get up. After you get it, its easier than even a wakeboard.

What I like about hydrofoiling is that it can be relaxing when needed. On a windy day, when the water is useless for just about anything else, you can go out and just cruise. No noise, no resistance, no chop, nothing. You just glide, and there is so little resistance that you can hold the rope with two fingers.

The only drawback is that you have a huge knife laying around. I cant get my buddies to get into it, and I dont want that huge thing sitting around in my boat, so I end up wakeboarding 90% of the time.

Its a bummer, and watching those videos makes me want to leave work and jump on it.

bigmac
04-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I bought an air chair a few years ago. Took a whole day to get up. After you get it, its easier than even a wakeboard.

What I like about hydrofoiling is that it can be relaxing when needed. On a windy day, when the water is useless for just about anything else, you can go out and just cruise. No noise, no resistance, no chop, nothing. You just glide, and there is so little resistance that you can hold the rope with two fingers.

The only drawback is that you have a huge knife laying around. I cant get my buddies to get into it, and I dont want that huge thing sitting around in my boat, so I end up wakeboarding 90% of the time.

Its a bummer, and watching those videos makes me want to leave work and jump on it.True, hydrofoiling is more cumbersome than skiing or wakeboarding but IMHO a LOT more fun. I have a rack for the thing secured into the canopy of my boat lift, so it's easy to load or unload, but the thing does take up a lot of space in a boat. I keep it upside down in the open bow with bungies securing it laterally to the windshield frame. That works OK, but I confess being able to carry it around in a rack is a reason I'd consider a tower. The only reason for me.

SkySkiSpokane
04-04-2007, 01:12 AM

There is a deepwater start on the video from this link.

http://www.prohydrofoiltour.com/Profiles/BillyRossiniProfile.asp

Very cool video. :guitar: