PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brakes clunk

Hrkdrivr
03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
When I was "test driving" the boat/trailer combo yesterday ('06 X-45), the surge brakes clunked pretty loudly while braking and then again while accelerating, like somebody hitting the hitch w/a hammer. The brakes seemed to work OK and it didn't seem to be a problem, just annoying.

My previous trailer's surge brakes made no noise at all.

James said this is normal for this type of trailer brake setup, but I seem to remember reading somewhere the brake fluid reservoir might be low or the brakes might need to be adjusted.

What have the rest of you experienced? Do you hear the clunk every time the brakes engage and disengage?

bigmac
03-31-2007, 02:30 PM
When I was "test driving" the boat/trailer combo yesterday ('06 X-45), the surge brakes clunked pretty loudly while braking and then again while accelerating, like somebody hitting the hitch w/a hammer. The brakes seemed to work OK and it didn't seem to be a problem, just annoying.

My previous trailer's surge brakes made no noise at all.

James said this is normal for this type of trailer brake setup, but I seem to remember reading somewhere the brake fluid reservoir might be low or the brakes might need to be adjusted.

What have the rest of you experienced? Do you hear the clunk every time the brakes engage and disengage?I hear it too, to some degree in the same situations.

sand2snow22
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
We have it to some degree as well, I greased the ball and this really seemed to help. Also helps when at a stop to move slightly forward to disengage the brakes, then when you accelerate it won't happen.

It may also be the big pin on the hitch, make sure it is nice and tight......

We'll make it a little nicer....

Hrkdrivr
03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
WOW...posting FOUL! Erk, over to you for the fireworks.

(thanks for the replies)

TX.X-30 fan
03-31-2007, 04:38 PM
We have it to some degree as well, I greased the ball and this really seemed to help. Also helps when at a stop to move slightly forward to disengage the brakes, then when you accelerate it won't happen.

That is exactly right, just let off the brake and accelerate slowly at first. I love the trailer brakes on my MC, the boat actually stops my truck.

bigmac
03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
That is exactly right, just let off the brake and accelerate slowly at first. I love the trailer brakes on my MC, the boat actually stops my truck.Mine too. The problem is that it also tries to stop my truck periodically as I'm driving down the highway with the trailer unloaded.

trickskier
03-31-2007, 05:09 PM
From my experience, the clunk when you accelerate from a standing start is normal. I do as others have mentioned and accelerate slowly.

If you can feel a clunk when stopping, I would suggest checking your brake fluid level and consider bleeding the system.

Good Luck............

trickskier
03-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Mine too. The problem is that it also tries to stop my truck periodically as I'm driving down the highway with the trailer unloaded.
I get a lot of wheel hop trying to stop when tandem trailer is unloaded.

TMCNo1
03-31-2007, 05:25 PM
The clunk when taking off is the hitch portion of the actuator disengaging from the mastercylinder and the forward dowel hitting the end of the slot it travels in. A clunk when slowing down, should not normally happen and may be a result of no fluid or low fluid level in the mastercylinder or the shock absorber in the actuator has become weak and or has failed. The serious clunking while towing empty is the trailer basically bouncing around doing what it wants to, because the weight of the boat is what makes the brakes work as they were designed and that is with a load. If you trailered around all the time with the trailer empty, there isn't enough weight back there for the trailer to need brakes.
Disc brakes do not need nor do they have a way to be adjusted, outside of keeping the mastercylinder properly filled.

Hrkdrivr
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks Numero Uno...I'll have them check the fluid level and the shock absorber BEFORE I take delivery...TOMORROW!!! WOOHOO!

erkoehler
04-02-2007, 09:44 AM
WOW...posting FOUL! Erk, over to you for the fireworks.

(thanks for the replies)

What does that mean? I'm lost!

Hrkdrivr
04-02-2007, 11:26 AM

Erk,

In his original reply to this thread, where it now says "We'll make it a little nicer...", sand2snow22 made a rather ungentlemanly comment about your lady-friend/wife/significant-other-female-type. That's why I called FOUL. He then did the right thing and cleaned it up.

endl
04-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Hrkdrivr, mine does not do that at all. It is very smooth on stopping and takeoffs. My 1994 did do it until I was able to get all the air out of the lines.

Hrkdrivr
04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Hmmmm......

dmayer84
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
My trailer does it right now, waiting for the new actuator to come in, hopefully it wont do it any more after I bleed the lines properly.

Diesel
04-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Sounds like it is low on fluid or has air in the lines. I had to bleed my brand new trailer multiple times before I got all the air out.

endl
04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Hmmmm......
If your going to be at the rail Jam on Sat. the 14, you can pull my boat around the block and see what it should feel like.....then you can make those guys get it right.

2QWICK
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I had the same problem... took it back to the dealer and it had a bad solenoid. The replaced it and all is good... tows like a dream now.

Naste Craft
04-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I had the same problem.....low fluid.

bcboy
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
This happened to my 06 x1 tandem axle trailer.....leaky actuater resevoir.....think it was a recall....dealer fixed easily and quickly...thanx Mastercraft and Tournamentboats.ca(my local dealer).

Hrkdrivr
04-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I had James check the fluid level before we took delivery and it was a little low. They serviced it and it seems better. You can still feel it moving fore and aft, but there's no slamming stop-to-stop.