PDA

View Full Version : "!#%"steering Problem Maristar 225

frontierck
03-31-2007, 02:58 AM
Just Bought My First Mastercraft, A 1997 Maristar 225 Lt-1. I Was So Excited Until I Tryed To Use It. Took It Out For The First Time And Bent The Prop( Nice!!!!). While Pulling Off The Bent Prop I Noticed The Shaft Was Off Center Enough To Rub The "log" Where It Passes Through The Boat Haul. Thought It Was A Bent Strut. Replaced The Strut, Repaired The Prop, Had The Shaft Inspected (also Updated To Mc Dripless Seal). Put It Together And It Still Rubbed. Went To Alighn Motor To Shaft And Found Adjudtment Bolts On Three Of The Four Mounts To Be Already Loose! Lined Up Engine To Shaft. Took The Boat Out Again. At Higher Speeds The Boat Seems To Be Harder To Turn Right Than Left. It Also Has A Vibration While Turning Right At High Speeds. It Has No Vibration Any Other Time And It Turns To The Left Great. I Dont Have Any Other Ideas! I Am Tired Of Working On The Boat And Could Use Some Advise. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appriciated!

erkoehler
03-31-2007, 03:54 AM
Where are you located in the Midwest? If you are near Chicago MasterCraft, give us a call and we can check it out with you.

Seeing as how you were just boating the last few days, I don't think your this far north.

Ric
03-31-2007, 08:59 AM
WELCOME

How bad is the high speed vibration?

it is typical of inboards and v-drives to have some rudder torque or pressure in one direction on the steering wheel. (the boat will be harder to turn one direction than the other when underway)

easties FAQ speaks to this issue
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103130&postcount=1

billr
03-31-2007, 09:15 AM
I have a '96 Maristar. The boat is harder to turn to the right. There is a slight offset of the rudder that I think causes this problem. I would make sure the prop is balanced.

bigmac
03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Just Bought My First Mastercraft, A 1997 Maristar 225 Lt-1. I Was So Excited Until I Tryed To Use It. Took It Out For The First Time And Bent The Prop( Nice!!!!). While Pulling Off The Bent Prop I Noticed The Shaft Was Off Center Enough To Rub The "log" Where It Passes Through The Boat Haul. Thought It Was A Bent Strut. Replaced The Strut, Repaired The Prop, Had The Shaft Inspected (also Updated To Mc Dripless Seal). Put It Together And It Still Rubbed. Went To Alighn Motor To Shaft And Found Adjudtment Bolts On Three Of The Four Mounts To Be Already Loose! Lined Up Engine To Shaft. Took The Boat Out Again. At Higher Speeds The Boat Seems To Be Harder To Turn Right Than Left. It Also Has A Vibration While Turning Right At High Speeds. It Has No Vibration Any Other Time And It Turns To The Left Great. I Dont Have Any Other Ideas! I Am Tired Of Working On The Boat And Could Use Some Advise. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appriciated!Harder to turn to the right is normal and more noise turning to the right is normal - big, powerful boat with a big powerful engine and an aggressive prop rotating clockwise - turning right is going to be harder.

My boat did the same thing, and still does to some extent. It made a real racket when turning right at high speed. One thing that helped the noise/vibration was replacing the cast prop with a CNC prop. As to steering, I replaced the rudder with the new rudder MC started using (again) on their 2006 boats. Made all the difference. I don't know about your boat's rudder situation, but you might look into it.

http://mccollister.info/ruddercomp.jpg

frontierck
03-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Wow, I Figured It Would Take A While To Get A Response! I Plan To Take The Boat Out Today. I Have A Three Blade Prop I Will Try. Maybee Itil Help. I Am In Oklahoma And Our Mc Dealer Is Three Two Four Weeks Out (and Dont Give Help Over The Phone). I Will Pay Closer Attention To The Steering Today. Again Thanks For The Quick Response!

bigmac
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, I Figured It Would Take A While To Get A Response! I Plan To Take The Boat Out Today. I Have A Three Blade Prop I Will Try. Maybee Itil Help. I Am In Oklahoma And Our Mc Dealer Is Three Two Four Weeks Out (and Dont Give Help Over The Phone). I Will Pay Closer Attention To The Steering Today. Again Thanks For The Quick Response!

I think the noise turning to the right is prop cavitation and probably a function of several things like rudder offest from prop shaft, hull, and nature of the prop that's on there. The latter is what led me to looking at different props and my final selection of a new prop (using old one as a spare) was based on at least a couple of discussions with Bill Weeks at Acme. If you're considering a new prop, which may very well make a big difference in your boat, you might consider calling Acme and talking to Bill, or calling OJ and talking to Eric. Both are extremely helpful.

I'm curious to know which of the two rudders above most closely looks like yours...

I'm also curious to know how you capitalize only the first letter of each word in your posts...:)

kycat2007
03-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Make sure you grease the fittings that go into the sterring cable as well. I know this is not effecting the noise but may help the steering a bit.

TMCNo1
03-31-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm also curious to know how you capitalize only the first letter of each word in your posts...:)

IF CAPS LOCK IS ENGAGED, THE TEXT IN THE REPLY AS YOU ARE TYPING WILL BE ALL CAPS, BUT WHEN THE POST COMES UP AFTER SUBMIT, IT ONLY CAPITALIZES THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD!

I JUST DID IT!

Oops, it didn't work, ship! On my computer or the old MC site before the remodel it did it. Nevermind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was brilliant move for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme :popcorn: :uglyhamme

bigmac
03-31-2007, 06:47 PM
IF CAPS LOCK IS ENGAGED, THE TEXT IN THE REPLY AS YOU ARE TYPING WILL BE ALL CAPS, BUT WHEN THE POST COMES UP AFTER SUBMIT, IT ONLY CAPITALIZES THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD!

I JUST DID IT!

Oops, it didn't work, ship! On my computer or the old MC site before the remodel it did it. Nevermind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was brilliant move for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme :popcorn: :uglyhammeThis Is A Test To See How Old Harold's Computer Really Is...

billr
03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I bet he still uses the 5 1/4" floppy drive!!!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-31-2007, 07:42 PM
No........he uses the paper punch tape:D

bigmac
03-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I hate to admit it guys, but in college I used to run our fraternity's billing program off of IBM cards. My roomate wrote the program in Fortran, coded the cards, I did the monthly updates on the keypunch machine and ran the program at the computer center in the engineering building.

frontierck
04-01-2007, 04:18 AM
I Typed My Post In All Caps And It Came Out With Only The First Letter In Each Word Being Capitalized (weird?). Installed A Backup Three Blade Prop On The Boat And Took It Out. It Seemed TO MAKE IT A LITTLE WORSE. WHILE ACCELARATING FROM A FULL STOP IT VIBRATES UNTIL I LEVEL OFF (UNDER LOAD). ONCE THE SPEED LEVELS OFF THE VIBRATION DISAPEARS. THIS HAPPENS EVEN WHILE GOING STRAIGHT. I THINK I WILL REVISIT MY ENGINE TO SHAFT ALIGHNMENT ONE MORE TIME AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS. MY RUDDER IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE ONE WITH MASTERCRAFT INPRINTED ON IT.

bigmac
04-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I found the issue intriguing, so I've been looking into it. vBulletin, the software that powers this discussion forum, has a checkbox in the Administrator's control panel called "anti-Shout", which I knew...but I never really read the implications thoroughly and I'm still confused. I posted for clarification on vBulletin's Admin discussion forum, out of curiousity. Apparently TTAdmin has checked that particular box in his control panel.

NOT SURE WHY THAT DOESN'T WORK THE SAME FOR EVERYBODY, BUT TYPING IN ALL CAPS GENERALLY TENDS TO BE ANNOYING TO MANY READERS. IMHO. JUST AN OBSERVATION...