PDA

View Full Version : Painting windshield frame

WizardofAz
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Anybody have any suggestions on touch up or repainting the whole window frame for my 92 prostar. Looks like the previous owner had a bimini or something that took off about 9" of the black paint off of the aluminum. Thanks.

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Welcome.

Of those I've seen discussing this, powdercoating seems to work well.

This thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7620&highlight=powdercoat+windshield) has some suggestions.

WizardofAz
03-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Awesome. Thanks ETS!

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Also, if your spots are small, universal black auto touch up paint is virtually indistinguishable at more than a foot away. Good luck.

TMCNo1
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
After years of touch-up, I cured the wearing/chipping problem by covering the outside of the windshield frame with, Sharpline/Prostripe, Black Non-skid Tread vinyl (non aggregate), PN R-826, 6" X 60' roll. Cut the individual pieces, applied and set it with a heat gun. Used a small box end wrench to mold the vinyl around the screws after warming with the heat gun. Everyone thinks it is spray on bedliner like Line-X/Rhino Liner, etc. It's been on there 2 years now.

alp
03-30-2007, 10:52 PM
TMCNo1,
Great idea! The frame looks real nice. Can you give a little more detail about cutting the pieces and applying the strips?

TMCNo1
03-31-2007, 08:49 AM
TMCNo1,
Great idea! The frame looks real nice. Can you give a little more detail about cutting the pieces and applying the strips?

The rolls I get is 6" wide and I just measured and cut the pieces to fit each section, then cleaned the frame areas I was going to apply to with Prepsol or any type of adhesive, wax, oil, silicone remover. I went ahead and applied the pieces then slightly heated the strips with a heat gun to set the adhesive. Some pieces will/do have a bend in them and light heat will allow the material to bend/stretch and not have a wrinkle in them. At first it can be a PITA but you will catch on quick. A 7/16" box end wrench works to mold the vinyl around the screw heads with a little heat and set the adhesive around the screws.

alp
03-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks.
Just added this the spring to do list along with... major tune up, install new carb, Acme 541, new heater core, trailer tires and carpet on bunks.

TMCNo1
03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks.
Just added this the spring to do list along with... major tune up, install new carb, Acme 541, new heater core, trailer tires and carpet on bunks.

Inside this post, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=324241&postcount=13 is the contact info for PROSTRIPE, who carries their non-skid vinyl and while you are at it, ask them who your local distributor or retailer is that carry their products, if they won't sell it direct to you.

WizardofAz
03-31-2007, 11:20 AM
More great info. I will look into it.