PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Guides

O2BESOHUGE
03-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Mine Are Rusted And I Bumped Them With The Boat And Both Are Now Broken Off. Anyone Else Have Theirs Rusted At The Bases?

How Did You Repair Or Replace Them? With The Fiberglass Fenders On The Trailer, It Seems It Would Be Hard To Weld Back

Any Tips?
Thanks
O2

bigmac
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Mine Are Rusted And I Bumped Them With The Boat And Both Are Now Broken Off. Anyone Else Have Theirs Rusted At The Bases?

How Did You Repair Or Replace Them? With The Fiberglass Fenders On The Trailer, It Seems It Would Be Hard To Weld Back

Any Tips?
Thanks
O2

Are they welded or bolted? On current model trailers, I believe that the guide posts are held on by a pair of U-bolts on each side.

M-Funf
03-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure about his '89. My '76 has welded trailer guides, and there's no drain hole at the bottom. When I bought the boat, I drilled into the bottom of the tube, and a bunch of rusty water came out (the tube was about half-full of water)

I drilled the hole bigger this last season as I found that the small hole didn't allow chuncks through...

O2BESOHUGE
03-30-2007, 06:00 PM
They're Exactly Like You Said M-funf....welded And No Drain Hole. Well They Rusted And Broke Off. The Metal Where They Were Welded Looks Pretty Ratty

Any Ideas? I Dont Want To Fo Buy The Bolt On Ones And It Not "look" Like A Mastercraft If You Know What I Mean

O2

O2BESOHUGE
03-30-2007, 06:00 PM
They're Exactly Like You Said M-funf....welded And No Drain Hole. Well They Rusted And Broke Off. The Metal Where They Were Welded Looks Pretty Ratty

Any Ideas? I Dont Want To Fo Buy The Bolt On Ones And It Not "look" Like A Mastercraft If You Know What I Mean

O2

M-Funf
03-30-2007, 06:11 PM
If it were me, I'd cut the rusted bottom off the trailer guide tube (probably just an inch or so), clean it off real nice, grind the plate that it mounts to (I think it's a channel shape on it's side...like [ but rotated with the opening facing down). Then I'd re-weld the guide tube back onto the bracket. Repaint and it's all done...If you don't weld, take it to a welder. I'm sure it's a really quick and cheap job.

Oh, and before I forget, make sure to drill a big hole in the channel bracket in the middle of the guide tube so water can drain out next time :cool: