PDA

View Full Version : Noob ~ Having troubles with maneuvering

Bigger IS Better
03-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey guys. I just got a X-30 and I am used to driving regular stern drive boats. The direct drive is a whole different animal, especially in reverse. I know it kicks right when in reverse which I am sure I will get used to.

Anybody have any suggestions or tips? I know practice makes perfect but a little knowledge never hurt anybody either.

Thanks guys !!!

Datdude
03-30-2007, 02:11 PM
It takes a little while to get used to that, but once you get the hang of it there is no problem. What I did when I got my first inboard was to practice out in the middle of the lake. When I dock my boat I do everything I can to dock to the starboard (driver's) side. I come into the dock under power at a 20-30 degree angle and throw it into reverse. This slows the boat down and brings the stern to the dock. If I have to dock on the other side I come in real slow and just grab the dock and pull the boat in. Have fun practicing and good luck with the new boat!

Sodar
03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Slow and Steady, Steady and Slow... thats the way we always go!

TMCNo1
03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Do all your learning at idle speed or below and nothing over that. Take your time, don't get excited and don't over compensate and you will be fine.

G-man
03-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Dont rush, you'll have problems and make mistakes if you rush. come into docks with the boat nose a little to the right glide as slow as possible, slowly put in reverse to straigten out, and glide more or come to a stop. Do everything a snails pace.

Maristar210
03-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Do all your learning at idle speed or below and nothing over that. Take your time, don't get excited and don't over compensate and you will be fine.

In and out of gear and like the great one says, "Take your time"

I still tell my wife she comes in way to hot and she tells me I take too long putting it in and out of gear:rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Welcome.

A few things to keep in mind. If you're not underway, your ability to steer is diminished. As far as docking, the above advice is spot on. When it comes to trailering, depending on how much room you have, it's a good idea to pick a fail safe point, after which you don't do any reversing. Like was said above, just bump it in and out of gear and make small corrections. Once on the trailer, it'll center itself and you can take it the rest of the way up (either under power or with the winch).

When you're at the dock, a good shove outward is always helpful in giving you a little room to maneuver. But if you can't do that (and this sounds counter intuitive I know, turn your wheel toward the dock and bump it in gear (only if you have room to do this. That will get the stern away from the dock and allow you to reverse without slamming the stern into the dock.

It doesn't take long to get used to all this.

BIGBADBLUE
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM

I still tell my wife she comes in way to hot and she tells me I take too long putting it in and out of gear:rolleyes:

M210 - This one made me laugh. My wife tells me the same thing. "Get on with it already ... it is a '94 for goodness sake!!!!":)

bigmac
03-30-2007, 04:19 PM

I still tell my wife she comes in way to hot and she tells me I take too long putting it in and out of gear:rolleyes:Wow! Me too. My wife scares the crap out of me coming into the boat lift, but she nails it dead-on every time. I admit, my approach isn't as elegant as hers, and involves slower speed and a lot of forward-neutral-forward-neutral-forward-reverse.

ProTour X9
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM

I always laugh when my neighbors fly into their lift and reverse fast!:o 8p :D

Bigger IS Better
04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, I found out that slow and steady wins the race. The last 2 times I have just puttted into the trailer at a snails pace and hit it dead on each time.

Thanks guys !!!

Bruce
04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I feel your pain! I have to pull into my slip and between the straps. There is alway a cross current running the wrong way and reverse pulls it to the wrong side. Answer? Bumpers. Lots of bumpers!

Sodar
04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, I found out that slow and steady wins the race. The last 2 times I have just puttted into the trailer at a snails pace and hit it dead on each time.

Thanks guys !!!

Good to hear!! You can never be too slow when you are around docks and trailers.

Archimedes
04-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Wow! Me too. My wife scares the crap out of me coming into the boat lift, but she nails it dead-on every time. I admit, my approach isn't as elegant as hers, and involves slower speed and a lot of forward-neutral-forward-neutral-forward-reverse.

Same here, my wife always has a good clip going when she hits the trailer, because I tell her to! And she nails it every time. I haven't driven the boat on or off a trailer in almost 10 years.

nuckinfutz
04-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I too had issues at first with backing but figured out a way to reverse and have the stern go straight or move to the left going backwards. The trick is to go slow as everyone has stated. Practice this out in a wide open area to before you get close to anything that counts.

At a dead stop turn your wheel hard right (all the way to the lock) put in gear and idle forward. usually within 5 feet os less, the bow will start to head to the right, slip into reverse and turn hard left (all the way to the lock) and enjoy. you will find the certain speeds will either allow you to continue with a straight back direction, and others will even continue to bring stern to the left once the rudder is actually connected with water speed and prop is not pulling water faster than the boat is traveling. Difficult to explain, but you will smell what Im cookin when you do it. Wind, current and waves will distract the directions sometimes, but with practice, you will know how much speed to give her. I have actually done circles (backwards) in a clockwise direction in my X-star but took alot of practice in no waves, no wind, no current lake.

Soon enough you will feel confident in your manuvering ability near docks and even other boats.

lemme know how it works for you.

Jason

rlgonza
06-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I have read that some people install trolling thrust motors on the rear of their boats to steer them at boat ramps. Has anyone seen any posts or pictures where this has been done. I struggle when there is alot of traffic at the boat ramp or when the waves are up. I have already experienced a $600.00 collision at a boat ramp when the boat just wouldn't steer in reverse. I'm sure the trolling motor proposition is pricey, but I would consider it if it eliminates the lack of precision while in reverse.

Willski
06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
I have no problems, but although I've owned my 84 since 1997, I have been driving this very boat since about 1988. So I've figured her out. The think I notice about the newer boats is that they do not manuver like the oldies. I guess it is the wider/shallower hull. They also do not near the thrust in reverse. All good advice here though. I do dock on the port side some. I still come in about 30 deg, then when I get close, I "throw" the stern in by giving it forward all the way turned right. Then when I hit reverse, the stern pulls back right.

tex
06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
You will learn to use it as an advantage grasshopper!

betsy&david Harrison
06-21-2007, 11:09 PM

We don't have that problem!!:D Let me go show him

TX.X-30 fan
08-22-2007, 09:52 PM
I was unable to find the thread that had more info than this. 210 helped me with his advice in that thread. Anyway this last weekend I had some dock side help with close quarters maneuvering. I was told to crank the wheel all the way left, because the rudder at slow speed does nothing. This worked very well, the boat came back straight every time . There was no wind where I was backing so it was a great tip, thanks George and 210. :D

My question now is this, the wind and current are moving and I need a beer that is located on the main body of the lake. There are several docks to choose from to land this heavy unmaneuverable beast. Do I start my docking upwind or downwind. :confused: Fast or slow or do I travel down the lake to an easier place to re-brew. :D

JKTX21
08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
That's how I usually back up.... pull up starboard side to what I want to be near, turn the wheel all the way left, then reverse and forward until I am where I want to be.

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Its all about controlling momentum, its hard to get rid of it when you have too much, and its hard to get a stopped boat to go anywhere but forwards or back to the right.

If you are pulling up to a dock and can get the boat carrying out towards the dock then the boat can be shifted into reverse and the wheel spun right and carry the boat towards the dock with the momentum. Where as if you come in parallel you get stuck in limbo no momentum to carry you sideways towards the dock.

With shore stations I just start out far enough away to get straight, slide into and out of gear till I approach the lift, then I leave it in neutral using only minor reverse if I have too much momentum.

Keep in mind that if you do go into reverse with the small boats atleast the boat will suddenly **** sideways no matter what you do.

Big ones maybe less?

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Its all about controlling momentum, its hard to get rid of it when you have too much, and its hard to get a stopped boat to go anywhere but forwards or back to the right.

If you are pulling up to a dock and can get the boat carrying out towards the dock then the boat can be shifted into reverse and the wheel spun right and carry the boat towards the dock with the momentum. Where as if you come in parallel you get stuck in limbo no momentum to carry you sideways towards the dock.

With shore stations I just start out far enough away to get straight, slide into and out of gear till I approach the lift, then I leave it in neutral using only minor reverse if I have too much momentum.

Keep in mind that if you do go into reverse with the small boats atleast the boat will suddenly **** sideways no matter what you do.

Big ones maybe less?

TX.X-30 fan
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
That's how I usually back up.... pull up starboard side to what I want to be near, turn the wheel all the way left, then reverse and forward until I am where I want to be.

I finally got the feel for this thang. In tight quarters its all right all left all right just swinging the arse one way or the other. Just add current and wind :eek3:

Maristar210
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Double the distance you think and allow the wind and current to place you. Never go the other way if you can help it.

I got complimented tonight in a 13mph lateral wind how well I picked up our passenger from the dock "spot on" as I was told.

Drop a bouy or two and practice around them. You would be surprised how good you get at not only docking but also picking up a fallen or done rider. I put the platform in the riders chest nearly every time. I have been asked how I spin the boat perfectly like that and while it's never gotten me laid... I could be a boat driver .... well since I suck at landing any tricks anyways 8p 8p 8p

Leroy
08-22-2007, 10:59 PM
For some strange reason I've found it easier to swing the rear end around and have people load from the teak or load from the nose. Plus I can control how close to dock with forward/reverse.

Also, don't stop on the side of the dock with the wind blowing into it. Always more difficult to leave and seems to always want to end up on the dock again.

TX.X-30 fan
08-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Double the distance you think and allow the wind and current to place you. Never go the other way if you can help it.

I got complimented tonight in a 13mph lateral wind how well I picked up our passenger from the dock "spot on" as I was told.

Drop a bouy or two and practice around them. You would be surprised how good you get at not only docking but also picking up a fallen or done rider. I put the platform in the riders chest nearly every time. I have been asked how I spin the boat perfectly like that and while it's never gotten me laid... I could be a boat driver .... well since I suck at landing any tricks anyways 8p 8p 8p

That's what it was a lateral wind and I was trying to stick the boat in a slip. I tried heading in down wind but the stern was blown out of position bad. I was thinking if I tried to approach the slip upwind I would be able to swing the arse in easier. :confused:

Thanks all for the help.

Maristar210
08-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I guess it would depend upon the spot. Sometimes powering into the wind is good too but it rarely is in your favor and is usually 90 degrees from the direction you are trying to go.

Practice Practice Practice

No different than S** / typing / or Madden 2007

TX.X-30 fan
08-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Practice Practice Practice

No different than S** / typing / or Madden 2007

I know I know, thanks for the pointers though, you boat driving/parking/stearn/drive/manuvering/beer/drinking/yellow/speedo/wearing/micheginner. :D :D

Lennyp04
08-23-2007, 08:05 AM
I found that little bumps in and out of gear really help controling the momentum. Ive docked my boat once at the marina but that was a straight shot in with people on the dock to help me but Ive never docked it at my dock which is a U shape with catwalks on each side just because my dad does it for me since im 16 playing with a very expensive toy. But i do drive it out when were skiing or wakeboarding or just driving around. Ive already stopped on the lake on a calm day and tried to figure out the reverse when there was nothing around me to hit.

Chicago190
08-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Once you figure out how to manuever at slow speeds you won't know why other people don't get it. The more throttle you give it in reverse the greater the stern pull to starboard is. Its also fun to show how you can rotate the boat 180 degrees without actually moving by just getting the bow swinging to the left by using reverse full right and then forward full left.