PDA

View Full Version : Why Won't My CDs Play?

shepherd
03-30-2007, 12:54 PM
I burn a lot of my own music CDs from iTunes on my home computer. Some of the tunes are iTunes downloads but others are copied to iTunes from my CD collection and then burned to the CD.

Sometimes these CDs won't play:

My old (12 yrs old?) CD boom box won't recognize of them.
The CD player in my '96 Chevy plays some of them, but others get rejected.
The CD player in my '99 Chevy plays most of them, but some of them start skipping alot when it gets into the 10th song or so on the CD. My newest CD starts skipping into the 2nd song.
The aftermarket (2002?) 12-disc CD player seems to play them OK. The brand new player in my boat seems OK, but I haven't used it much yet.

What's up with that? I assume it has something to do with the evolution of CD players and their ability to play different types of discs? Or could it just be poor quality discs, general iTunes problems, or do I maybe have a bad CD burner?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I burn a lot of my own music CDs from iTunes on my home computer. Some of the tunes are iTunes downloads but others are copied to iTunes from my CD collection and then burned to the CD.

Sometimes these CDs won't play:

My old (12 yrs old?) CD boom box won't recognize of them.
The CD player in my '96 Chevy plays some of them, but others get rejected.
The CD player in my '99 Chevy plays most of them, but some of them start skipping alot when it gets into the 10th song or so on the CD. My newest CD starts skipping into the 2nd song.
The aftermarket (2002?) 12-disc CD player seems to play them OK. The brand new player in my boat seems OK, but I haven't used it much yet.

What's up with that? I assume it has something to do with the evolution of CD players and their ability to play different types of discs? Or could it just be poor quality discs, general iTunes problems, or do I maybe have a bad CD burner?
I think its can be various things causing this. Old cd players not capable of reading them, and possibly poor quality CD blanks. I have had CD blanks in the SAME batch that some are good, some are bad. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I think its can be various things causing this. Old cd players not capable of reading them, and possibly poor quality CD blanks. I have had CD blanks in the SAME batch that some are good, some are bad. :rolleyes:

Yeah. That's about it. Also, is it a cd-r or an rw. Most older players will play an "R," but not the "RW." Also, I've had some cds that were burned in itunes turn out less than steller. Not sure how much buffer it uses, but since you can't really customize it, it's hard to tell.

dapicatti
03-31-2007, 12:04 PM
We had the same problem....we made a bunch of Christmas CD's for family and friends 1/2 were great, 1/2 wouldn't play past number 12.
We switched to Sony and haven't had any problems since.

shepherd
03-31-2007, 12:27 PM
We had the same problem....we made a bunch of Christmas CD's for family and friends 1/2 were great, 1/2 wouldn't play past number 12.
We switched to Sony and haven't had any problems since.

You switched to Sony CDs? I assume so, but maybe you switched to Sony CD players...? :o

dapicatti
03-31-2007, 03:43 PM
CD's We were buying from the Big Box Discount store---big mistake- then went with Sony and its all been good.