PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my bimni color

wilbucd
03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
My dealer says he can't get a Mastercraft bimini for a 94 model Maristar so I am going with the Overtons Sunbrella. Help me pick a color. The three options are Concord Purple, Cadet Grey and Natural White. Would the purple just be too much considering the color of the boat or would it compliment it?

erkoehler
03-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Out of the three you listed, I'd go purple.

Sodar
03-30-2007, 03:54 AM
My dealer says he can't get a Mastercraft bimini for a 94 model Maristar so I am going with the Overtons Sunbrella. Help me pick a color. The three options are Concord Purple, Cadet Grey and Natural White. Would the purple just be too much considering the color of the boat or would it compliment it?
I would have a custom bimini made with all three colors in it.... I think it would really compliment the boat that way!

sizzler
03-30-2007, 04:13 AM
I would have a custom bimini made with all three colors in it.... I think it would really compliment the boat that way!

looks like a typical english day:cool: :rolleyes:

rem_pss308
03-30-2007, 04:30 AM
Id go with Purple

TMCNo1
03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I would go with white, because it will reflect the heat from the sun where otherwise the darker colors will absorb the heat and it will be hotter underneath the bimini. Kinda like wearing a white t-shirt in the hot sun vs a purple one.:twocents:

wilbucd
03-30-2007, 10:29 AM
So what about getting a custom bimini made? Anyone have any experience with that? Would you have to buy the frame one place and have the top made somewhere else?

Maristar210
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
So what about getting a custom bimini made? Anyone have any experience with that? Would you have to buy the frame one place and have the top made somewhere else?

Sodar can answer that can't you Cam?

BrianM
03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Of those three colors I would go white. Unless the purple matches exactly it is going to look a little off.

For custom www.johnsonbimini.com (http://www.johnsonbiminis.com)

aprgriggs
03-30-2007, 10:45 AM

That top looks great. I would go with a custom white with accent colors to match your boat.

Sodar
03-30-2007, 11:00 AM

Any shop that does Marine Canvas can easily make a custom bimini. I suppose that if they did not want to bend the aluminum frame themselves, that you could order one from one of the production bimini companies and then have a custom canvas top made. Any decent marine canvas place will have no problem making the frame and the canvas top....

chevy08bud
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I'd say white, the purple will fade and look bad over time. With the $$$ that you are spending on this, I'd get something that will look good for a long time.

BrianM
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd say white, the purple will fade and look bad over time. With the $$$ that you are spending on this, I'd get something that will look good for a long time.

If the top is Sunbrella there really is no worries with the colors. Sunbrella holds the colors very well. My black top although only 1 1/2 years old spent LOTS of time in the sun and still looks brand new.

pilot02
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Any shop that does Marine Canvas can easily make a custom bimini. I suppose that if they did not want to bend the aluminum frame themselves, that you could order one from one of the production bimini companies and then have a custom canvas top made. Any decent marine canvas place will have no problem making the frame and the canvas top....

The frame minus the center sections which determine the widthe and which you'll need to make can be purchased from Boater's World (probably other places as well). I purchased one last summer and have the frame set up and am in the process of making the custom Bimini which in my case will be Teal with Red trim. Purchased the Sunbrella from B&A upholstery supply in ATL last fall but didn't get a chance to do anything with it.

chevy08bud
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
If the top is Sunbrella there really is no worries with the colors. Sunbrella holds the colors very well. My black top although only 1 1/2 years old spent LOTS of time in the sun and still looks brand new.
If that's the case, go with purple. I don't think that it would be too much purple and it would go good with all of the other colors in your boat. BTW, nice looking boat:cool:

Sodar
03-30-2007, 11:42 AM

I will second that! My bimini is 10 years old and aside from the occassional dry cleaning and 303 Fabric treatment, no maintenance has been done and it still looks like new! My bimini is up 99% of the time my boat is used and it is used in the California/Arizona Desert! Sunbrella is amazing!

Monte
03-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but like convertible tops on cars, will the lighter colors start to show mildew stains over time? Every convertible I've ever owned had a dark (black/ navy blue) tops. I've noticed on other cars white, tan and the like have issues with mildew spotting over time... I realize it is a care issue, but like I said I really don't know......

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Of those three colors I would go white. Unless the purple matches exactly it is going to look a little off.

I'd vote white, too.

east tx skier
03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but like convertible tops on cars, will the lighter colors start to show mildew stains over time? Every convertible I've ever owned had a dark (black/ navy blue) tops. I've noticed on other cars white, tan and the like have issues with mildew spotting over time... I realize it is a care issue, but like I said I really don't know......

With minimal maintenance, my white top doesn't have a speck of anything on it so far as I know.

Monte
03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
With minimal maintenance, my white top doesn't have a speck of anything on it so far as I know.

Good deal, Having one made myself.. Stuck b/n med or dark grey right now.. Maybe a little of both with that tidbit of info.........:)

M-Funf
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM

You should be able to get a sample of the purple material from the manufacturer. If it matched, I'd go with Cam's idea and have a white bim' with purple stripes...

phecksel
03-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Overton's has several other colors available, with a small bump in price. Think it was a $20 increase and there's another 10 or 15 colors available.

suedv
04-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I'd go with purple. By the way I really like your boat!