PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat

johny_Utah
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
What is the best degree thermostat to run? Also is this the same one that is in a car?

LakePirate
03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
What boat? Year and make and if possible engine.

From there we can get to which one.

Or you can go to Ski-Dim.

Engine Nut
03-29-2007, 10:31 PM
What is the best degree thermostat to run? Also is this the same one that is in a car?

All of the Indmar carbureted engines and the Indmar/MasterCraft TBI engines use a 140 degree thermostat. All of the MPI engines except the LT1 take a 160 degree thermostat. The LT1 takes a 140 (lower thermostat) and a drilled 160 (upper thermostat). Any engines with closed cooling take a drilled 160 degree thermostat.

Engine Nut

O2BESOHUGE
03-29-2007, 11:47 PM
I Know This Is A Dumb Question...but...why Wounld You Just Not Have A Thermostat And Let The Cool Lake Water Keep It Whatever Temp The Lake Is?

O2

Hoosier Bob
03-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Because your lake may not be at the temp my motor likes to run! My thermostat is much more consistant than your lake!:D

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-29-2007, 11:58 PM
That guy must be a BLONDE!!!!

TMCNo1
03-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I Know This Is A Dumb Question...but...why Wounld You Just Not Have A Thermostat And Let The Cool Lake Water Keep It Whatever Temp The Lake Is?

O2
The thermostat builds and maintains a engine to a specific temperature so it can run efficiently. It's all part of the process of removing excess heat generated by the energy consumed. A engine running cold is just as bad for a engine that is running too hot and will hamper it's performance. Running a thermostat has been a std. practice in water cooled engines since their invention. That's the best I can explain it. Hopefully someone will come along and explain further if need be.

Jorski
03-30-2007, 02:23 PM

O2

The engines have been designed to run at a specific temperature. For example, an LT-1 is supposed to run at about 160 degrees f. At that temperature, the various components have heated and therefore expanded the correct amount so that all the metal surfaces that touch each other "match' up exactly as they are supposed to. Creating the correct mating surfaces for sealing in/out fluids and relieving/creating the correct amount of friction for moving parts.

If you just ran at the lake temp, that would not be the case, and there would be more wear and tear on internal components and poorer gas mileage.

Please understand that an internal combustion engine is HIGHLY engineered ! Do not run it out of spec...BTW, this is why running your engine hard prior to warming it up to optimal operating temp is hard on your engine.

Hope that helps.