PDA

View Full Version : Ski Pylon and Gear Panal Finish coming off.

Tom Wortham
01-20-2005, 04:26 PM
On my 86 MC the black is flaking off towards the bottom of the pylon and on the plate that covers the gear shift. Has anyone had any luck with "refinishing" these items. I'm assuming it's a removal of both and take them to a location to have the powder coated? :confused:
Also, Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the ski pylon?

Lance
01-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Mine are the exact same but haven't done anything about either. Hope this thread turns up something useful. I would like to fix these items when I re-skin.

Tom Wortham
01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Lance,
My exact plan. I have skins on order and looking at carpet.

tph
01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
On my 86 MC the black is flaking off towards the bottom of the pylon and on the plate that covers the gear shift. Has anyone had any luck with "refinishing" these items. I'm assuming it's a removal of both and take them to a location to have the powder coated? :confused:
Also, Is there anything I should be aware of when removing the ski pylon?

I had my pylon stripped and re powder coated a year or so ago. I think is cost about $75. Removing the pylon is easy. Simply loosen the nuts on the two "U" clamps that hold it in place and pull it up through the floorboard. You can probably paint the gear shift plate with a good quality automotive matte finish.

H20skeefreek
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I had my pylon stripped and re powder coated a year or so ago. I think is cost about $75. Removing the pylon is easy. Simply loosen the nuts on the two "U" clamps that hold it in place and pull it up through the floorboard. You can probably paint the gear shift plate with a good quality automotive matte finish.

I thought about having the pylon stripped, then chromed, i wonder what that would cost?

tph
01-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I thought about having the pylon stripped, then chromed, i wonder what that would cost?

Actually, the aluminum under the powder coating may polish to a chrome like finish. It requires a little more maintenance but costs almost nothing.

BrianM
01-20-2005, 06:25 PM
My pylon was scratched from having a barefoot boom attached to it and other general wear. I decided that I was going to strip it off and polish the aluminium. Turned out really nice. I didn't even remove it from the boat. I sanded all of the paint off of it with a palm sander and then polished it up with some Mothers metal polish. The sanding left little swirl marks on the pylon but I like the 'machined' look. I figure a little Mothers polish a couple of times a season ought to keep it looking good.

I'll take a couple of pictures next time I have the cover of of the boat.

H20skeefreek
01-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Actually, the aluminum under the powder coating may polish to a chrome like finish. It requires a little more maintenance but costs almost nothing.

so you'd just strip it with aircraft stripper, then polish the hell out of the pole? I don't know if I have the patience to polish the whole thing, but who knows, maybe when I'm bored one day, I'll try it. But little projects turn into big projects for me.

H20skeefreek
01-20-2005, 06:28 PM
My pylon was scratched from having a barefoot boom attached to it and other general wear. I decided that I was going to strip it off and polish the aluminium. Turned out really nice. I didn't even remove it from the boat. I sanded all of the paint off of it with a palm sander and then polished it up with some Mothers metal polish. The sanding left little swirl marks on the pylon but I like the 'machined' look. I figure a little Mothers polish a couple of times a season ought to keep it looking good.

I'll take a couple of pictures next time I have the cover of of the boat.

that's exactly what's wrong with mine. there is a big area where the boom was that is bare metal, and has started to pit.

that'd be great if you could post some pictures!!

tph
01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
so you'd just strip it with aircraft stripper, then polish the hell out of the pole? I don't know if I have the patience to polish the whole thing, but who knows, maybe when I'm bored one day, I'll try it. But little projects turn into big projects for me.

I upgraded to the swivel top pylon a year or so ago. I decided to sand and polish it. It takes a while but I just worked on it a little at a time throughout the winter. Here's a picture. It actually looks better than this. The camera flash washed out the finish a bit.

tph
01-20-2005, 07:00 PM

Let's try that again....

Brn85ss
01-20-2005, 08:36 PM
I upgraded to the swivel top pylon a year or so ago. I decided to sand and polish it. It takes a while but I just worked on it a little at a time throughout the winter. Here's a picture. It actually looks better than this. The camera flash washed out the finish a bit.

I love your boat! Where did you find the swivel pylon? I was thinking on doing the same upgrade.

tph
01-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I love your boat! Where did you find the swivel pylon? I was thinking on doing the same upgrade.

I bought it from "Air Junky" on this board. He had it on his 205. I'm sure MC would be happy to sell you a new one but I think they cost big bucks! You might try the classifieds here, or maybe Ebay.

Brn85ss
01-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Lance,
My exact plan. I have skins on order and looking at carpet.

Don't mean to do a hijack Tom, but can you tell me who you ordered your skins from.My dealer says he can't get skins for anything older than '87.Not sure I should believe him,he said that mastercraft lost the patterns when they moved a few years ago.I find that hard to believe.Thanks

Tom Wortham
01-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Don't mean to do a hijack Tom, but can you tell me who you ordered your skins from.My dealer says he can't get skins for anything older than '87.Not sure I should believe him,he said that mastercraft lost the patterns when they moved a few years ago.I find that hard to believe.Thanks

Brn85ss,
Bennetts 800-869-7297. Ordered them December 19th. There were closing out the "old MC skin material"... something about how there were only going to a one color skin for all year boats in 2005. I would call and get the "story" from them. Let us know what you find out. I am sure there are others that will want/need skins. Cheers. :toast:

BrianM
01-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Here is a picture of my sanded and polished pylon.

AirJunky
01-21-2005, 12:56 PM

We polish our foils several times a year. Only takes an hour or so at most with a buffing wheel. You could also do it by hand using an orbital sander covered with a polishing rag.

milkmania
01-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Brn85ss,
Bennetts 800-869-7297. Ordered them December 19th. There were closing out the "old MC skin material"... something about how there were only going to a one color skin for all year boats in 2005. I would call and get the "story" from them. Let us know what you find out. I am sure there are others that will want/need skins. Cheers. :toast:

I called and spoke to "Estaphan" (sp?) before the Christmas break, he said I wouldn't be able to get my skins for 91 Prostar, and he would call me after the first of the year when they got back.

guess I better call and remind him

scott88prostar
01-22-2005, 11:06 PM
That pylon looks great!...mine black and chipping too....so I just ordered the skins from Bennetts also....thinking, might as well do the carpet....has anyone done the polishing to the grab rails....there chipping as well?