PDA

View Full Version : trailer tongue hight

x2 canada
03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Ha guys great site, this is my first post. The big day comes April 26 when I bring my new boat home.First my dealer is taking us out for a ride to show how everything works. The boat is an 2007 X2 with an single axel mastercraft trailer. I was wondering what the tongue hight should be to make the trailer tow level.This is my first mastercraft an it will be a big change from our pontoon boat. Thanks

TMCNo1
03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
MasterCraft, in owners manuals and the like, recommends 18" from the ground to the top of the ball, without the trailer on the ball. Just try to get close in your choice of ball mounts.

Sodar
03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
I hear that 18 1/64" works better though!!! :D :D :D

TMCNo1
03-29-2007, 12:35 PM

That sounds like something Toober Tom would say!

Toober Tom
03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
18.015625 in.

trickskier
03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
I hear that 18 1/64" works better though!!! :D

:uglyhamme :woohoo: :popcorn:

Seriously, I've always been told to keep the trailer level.

Ain't that right TOOBER TOM???

Maristar210
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM

Wanna borrow my digital height gauge Toober Tom?

Don't forget about the tongue weight lowering the ball height once hitched. Depending on the vehicle you have. My suggestion would be to get two big canucks or Hoosier Bob's misstress to stand on the rear bumber and go 18 inches from there.

Welcome aboard - Steve

ProTour X9
03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I have problems backing my trailer up, first it just started braking (NOT BREAKING) I found the problem and put a screwdriver in the hole on the tongue. That has worked well so far but while backing the empty trailer in the water with the screwdriver in, the trailer braked.
Is there something I can do???

PendO
03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Wanna borrow my digital height gauge Toober Tom?

Don't forget about the tongue weight lowering the ball height once hitched. Depending on the vehicle you have. My suggestion would be to get two big canucks or Hoosier Bob's misstress to stand on the rear bumber and go 18 inches from there.

Welcome aboard - Steve

remember, canada is on the metric system

cmack
03-29-2007, 05:47 PM
I have problems backing my trailer up, first it just started braking (NOT BREAKING) I found the problem and put a screwdriver in the hole on the tongue. That has worked well so far but while backing the empty trailer in the water with the screwdriver in, the trailer braked.
Is there something I can do???

Maybe I did not read this correctly but are you having trouble with the trailer brakes when you are backing it up?
If so then I would think there is a problem with your reverse circuit going into trailer. The breaks should disengage when you have 12v going through the center post. Do your reverse lights work on the trailer?

ProTour X9
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
You read correctly, the dealers going to do something about it

Sodar
03-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Maybe I did not read this correctly but are you having trouble with the trailer brakes when you are backing it up?
If so then I would think there is a problem with your reverse circuit going into trailer. The breaks should disengage when you have 12v going through the center post. Do your reverse lights work on the trailer?

Yeah, that is definitely the problem. Either you reverse lockout solenoid is stuck, or your 12v Power source is not working correctly. The 12v power source should work when you put the vehicle in Reverse. I think your boat has the 5-flat, so make sure your tow vehicle has the proper converter...

Maristar210
03-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I have the same issue from time to time. Not sure exactly what causes it but I would like it fixed.

Steve

x2 canada
03-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the help

ecelis
03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Just wanted to add in that trailer tongue height is VERY important.
Found that out last weekend when my hubs got so hot they all 4 popped the plastic oil-bath caps off and the brakes started to lock up. Apparently my hitch sat to low, causing the push-in braking mechanism to get stuck after braking. I did feel it (felt like I was towing a 10 ton boat) but I do not tow the boat that much, so I blamed it on my inexperience towing.
My dealer raised the ball about 4 inches and the problem went away.