PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Toasted

Jwhitsett1129
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, it happened...and it happened before I had the smarts to back up everything I had...so in short I lost everything. Luckily I have a few thousand songs stored on my Ipod, but everything else is gone. The quotes I have found to recover (if that even turns out to be possible) have been pretty outrageous, so it looks like I will be starting from scratch. Sh*t, f**$, Da%m mot@erfu$cer!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

milkmania
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
don't throw it away or tear into it!

tell us more...
how is it toasted?

BrianM
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
That sucks. I finally bought myself an external hardrive that I have everything backed up to. So I have duplicates of everything. I think I did that after the thrid time I lost it all. I learn quick. :rolleyes:

milkmania
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
That sucks. I finally bought myself an external hardrive that I have everything backed up to. So I have duplicates of everything. I think I did that after the thrid time I lost it all. I learn quick. :rolleyes:

that made me lol.................

OW!!!!!

sizzler
03-29-2007, 10:32 AM
same here....external hard drive and all my photos on the i-pod as well.......

dmayer84
03-29-2007, 10:33 AM
How dead is it? you might want to try runnign check disk on it and you may be able to get it up and running to back everything up again, or take an image and put it on a new hard drive so that its like nothing ever happened.

Jwhitsett1129
03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Laptop won't boot up and it makes that horrible "brewing coffee" sound, like it is trying to spin but can't. It is a work laptop, but it is pretty much on me since what I want to recover is mainly personal, e.g. music, photos, etc...

Luckily most of my work crapola is backed up on servers. Our internal IT fella here tried a few things and basically gave up hope. New drive should arrive today.

Just got a quote from another place that only charges $45 an hour and will know within the first hour if anything is recoverable...that seems doable....

puck_11
03-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Same thing happened to my laptop, thats a horrible noise to hear, and you pretty much know immediately that your hard drive just crashed. Good luck recovering if you can, it sucks losing pictures the most. External hard drives are cheap, and DVDs can hold quite a bit of info as well as another backup

Jwhitsett1129
03-29-2007, 10:55 AM
I had just convinced the girlfriend to combine iTunes libraries with me on my laptop and she then cleared out her old crappy PC...I am in just a tiny bit of hot water for that!!

cbryan70
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
you can get programs online to transfer your songs from your ipod to your new hard drive. just an fyi

east tx skier
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
you can get programs online to transfer your songs from your ipod to your new hard drive. just an fyi

Beat me to it. Yes, these are apparently available.

bigmac
03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I back up my hard drives in their entirety about once a week using Ghost or Acronis to make an image, depending on the computer (RAID 0 drives need Acronis) I buy the cheapest bare hard drives I can find for backup - right now I still have some Western Digital Caviar 80 gig drives that I got from Best Buy during a sale they had where the total amount of various rebates meant that each drive cost me about $8. I hook them up for back up via USB 2.0 or Firewire with an attachable IDE interface (DriveDock (http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboDock.php)). Works great, and I don't have to spend the money on a bunch of enclosures.

bigmac
03-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Anapod Explorer (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/featpw.php)

Ryan
03-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I back up my hard drives in their entirety about once a week using Ghost or Acronis to make an image, depending on the computer (RAID 0 drives need Acronis) I buy the cheapest bare hard drives I can find for backup - right now I still have some Western Digital Caviar 80 gig drives that I got from Best Buy during a sale they had where the total amount of various rebates meant that each drive cost me about $8. I hook them up for back up via USB 2.0 or Firewire with an attachable IDE interface (DriveDock (http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboDock.php)). Works great, and I don't have to spend the money on a bunch of enclosures.

That thing is very cool. I've got a new 200GB internal hard drive that I could finally get around to using. How much to those DriveDocks cost? I checked Ebay and see around $185 :eek: if they really are that expensive maybe I will just install it in my desktop pc.

dmayer84
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I have used various ones of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=usb+ide+adapter&x=0&y=0

dmayer84
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
But this is my product of choice, it does all 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119018

bigmac
03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
That thing is very cool. I've got a new 200GB internal hard drive that I could finally get around to using. How much to those DriveDocks cost? I checked Ebay and see around $185 :eek: if they really are that expensive maybe I will just install it in my desktop pc.Yeah...I see those things got pretty spendy in the 4 years or so since I bought mine. Looking at Wiebetech's website, it appears that they kind of branched off into making these things pretty high-zoot and appealing to IT professionals. That's a lot of money to spend. There has to be something similar that's cheaper.

dmayer84
03-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah...I see those things got pretty spendy in the 4 years or so since I bought mine. Looking at Wiebetech's website, it appears that they kind of branched off into making these things pretty high-zoot and appealing to IT professionals. That's a lot of money to spend. There has to be something similar that's cheaper.

Just took a look at the link, looks pretty nice, but I can justify spending that kind of cash when I can get something similar for 30 bucks.

milkmania
03-29-2007, 01:24 PM
this is similar to what I use in a pinch.....

seems like it was under $30.00

will accomadate standard IDE drives and laptop drives
standard drives use the supplied power supply, while laptop drives use the USB for power

Jwhitsett1129
03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
It's done :( I took it to a guy at lunch who said it is completely dead and my only option is to ship it to some company in California to be rebuilt...which would cost in upwards of a G. Oh well...

JimN
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Milk- the hard drive still needs the power cable when transferring to a laptop. I have one, too and it saved me a bunch when I switched to XP. Great adaptor, eh?

andrewtimko
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
www.ontrack.com

I have used them multiple times; always with good results. Pricy though.

Jwhitsett1129
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
www.ontrack.com

I have used them multiple times; always with good results. Pricy though.

Pricey like 1000-1500?

Leroy
03-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the back up reminder.......I also have a 200G USB external that I bought for $70.

Years ago I tried one of the recovery services and for $700 they told me they could not recover anything. This was probably 10 years ago. In addition to the external HDD this is why I have CD's burned with My Document every few months. I know how painful it can be.

ski_king
03-29-2007, 02:58 PM
My IT guy tells me there are 2 kinds of hard drives.
Ones that will fail someday and the ones that have already failed.

I have most of my photos, MP3's, and documents stored on a second hard drive inside the computer. I know it will fail someday. I guess I need to back up to DVD or something.

dmayer84
03-29-2007, 03:15 PM
My IT guy tells me there are 2 kinds of hard drives.
Ones that will fail someday and the ones that have already failed.

I have most of my photos, MP3's, and documents stored on a second hard drive inside the computer. I know it will fail someday. I guess I need to back up to DVD or something.

Best way to put it, but with the solid state drives that are coming out you will see a lot less of failures. My usb drive has had many trips through the washing machine and every time it comes out. I let it dry, and it works just like new, maybe even faster since its now cleaned. ;)

ski_king
03-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I also have a 2G USB Flash Drive plugged into one of the USB ports in the back of the computer to back up my checkbook, tax files etc. Only problem is 2G fills up fast.

dmayer84
03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I also have a 2G USB Flash Drive plugged into one of the USB ports in the back of the computer to back up my checkbook, tax files etc. Only problem is 2G fills up fast.

Trade it in for one of these http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12556.html

milkmania
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Milk- the hard drive still needs the power cable when transferring to a laptop. I have one, too and it saved me a bunch when I switched to XP. Great adaptor, eh?
it works great
there may be a bit of confusion....
when I said no power to laptop hdd, I meant a laptop drive out of the laptop

it gets it's power through the USB port

here's a pic of mine below

edit: found my box.....$22.95 "Plug & Play USB to ALL IDE"
forgot, but it will also let me use it for CD & DVD Atapi Drives

found this one for $10.00
http://www.sonicmarts.com/usb20toideca.html

Ryan
04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Ok, guys I need some technical expertise. I had a 200gb hard drive sitting around and went ahead and bought a setup virtually the same as Milkmania's. All instructions say since I have XP I don't need any drivers though I do not see the drive available from the USB options in MyComputer. I do see the drive when I click the eject hardware utility though. Do I need to format this hard drive? If so, how? I'm not finding what I need through Google of Youtube.

FrankSchwab
04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Right-click "My Computer" (probably located on the Start menu) and choose "Manage". Under Storage, click on "Disk Management". This will show you the disks you have in your computer, and allow you to Create Partitions and Format the drive.

I wouldn't recommend the last two steps unless:
a. You know what you're doing, or
b. You have someone sitting beside you who knows what they're doing.

/frank

D3skier
04-18-2008, 09:17 PM
this is similar to what I use in a pinch.....

seems like it was under $30.00

will accomadate standard IDE drives and laptop drives
standard drives use the supplied power supply, while laptop drives use the USB for power

don't give up hope just yet... stick the hard drive in the freezer for about an hour then connect it to one of these devices and see if you can recover some data

stuartmcnair
04-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Right-click "My Computer" (probably located on the Start menu) and choose "Manage". Under Storage, click on "Disk Management". This will show you the disks you have in your computer, and allow you to Create Partitions and Format the drive.

I wouldn't recommend the last two steps unless:
a. You know what you're doing, or
b. You have someone sitting beside you who knows what they're doing.

/frank

Best to do it at said friends computer as well.