PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Riser gaskets

epj4
03-28-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm typing with greasy fingers as I'm in the middle of replacing the riser gaskets on my Indmar small block. I've cleaned off the cast iron on both the exhaust manifold and the riser. I have a new set of gaskets. Do I need to use anything else on the gasket to seal it? How about anything on the threads of the bolts?

TMCNo1
03-28-2007, 11:55 PM
If they are the blue ones, no, they are silicone coated and are self sealing per MC. I don't know about any other ones. Just apply a light amount of grease to the bolt threads and get them good and tight. I am not aware of any torque specs.

epj4
03-28-2007, 11:57 PM
They are the green ones from DIM. What type of grease should I put on the bolts?

east tx skier
03-29-2007, 12:03 AM
When I did mine, JimN suggested using aviation gasket sealant. I had the ones from D.I.M., too. I had no idea they made self sealing ones.

TMCNo1
03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
They are the green ones from DIM. What type of grease should I put on the bolts?
Any kind of grease, just to lube a little and to keep from rusting, or apply some anti-seize. Check the bolt tightness after a couple trips to the lake just for safety sake.