PDA

View Full Version : Measuring for binding location.

H20skeefreek
03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
When measuring my ski to set it up, where do I measure from? For instance the factory front binding recommendation for a 69" Sixam is 30.75 inches. From where? this seems to put my bindings awfully far back if it's from the tail of the ski. This puts everything in the farthest back position, and no room to move back. I have a sixam that I'm mounting Fogmans on. Any help would be great!

east tx skier
03-28-2007, 11:05 PM
From the tail to the heel rubber. What happened to your homemade boots?

H20skeefreek
03-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I scrapped those. All of my ski buddies look at me funny when I go to put them on, I don't think they want to take me to the hospital. Personally, I don't think they are any more dangerous than Approaches, but the were a pain anyway.

When you say the tail, you mean the FAR end of the tail? Like the END of the ski? Like I said, if I go 30.75" from the tail, that's the furthest back they can go, what If I need to go back further? Everyone that i've read about using different settings are setting them back further by .5" or so. How would you do this with regular bindings? I'm trying to use my rubbers for a starting point on where to mount my fogmans, but this isn't making any sense.

east tx skier
03-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Kind of hard to get definitive facts on this. Goode has some nice info on their website and schnitz probably has something on this, too. For me, I want from the farthest point on the tail to the back of the boot rubber (wileys). From there, I just start playing. If it can't go back any further, I don't know what to tell you (other than you'd have to mod the plates somehow). The right place for one guy to have boots may not be perfect for another guy (stock settings or not). There's going to be a sweet spot on the ski, but it's still a matter of getting it close for starters and tweaking the boots, fin, etc. from there until you find something that works for you.

I'm far from an expert, but did go through this thought process late last years when I started messing with this stuff.

BrianM
03-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Also, hardshells usually go back about an 1/8" further thand regular rubbers. This is because they put more pressure towards the toe. If your mounting fogmanss does it really matter where the factory holes are? Aren't you drilling your own new holes?

H20skeefreek
03-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Nope. Building adapter plates so that I don't have to drill. I had them built for my HO, and the holes worked fine, but they don't on the Obrien. Regardless, I need a place to start from. And the factory recommendations don't really make sense with the location of the holes. With the factory recommendations, you could only move the bindings forward, never back, doesn't really make sense.

88 PS190
04-04-2007, 11:29 PM
I recommend you take the ankle location from the rubber boots that worked well for you, and work rearwards from there about 1/8" that is the only good fixed reference between your boot systems.

As was mentioned by Brian M hardshells tend to generate more tip load due to their forwards stance and the ability to youse your forefoot to generate load.

Jesus_Freak
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I recommend you take the ankle location from the rubber boots that worked well for you, and work rearwards from there about 1/8" that is the only good fixed reference between your boot systems.

As was mentioned by Brian M hardshells tend to generate more tip load due to their forwards stance and the ability to youse your forefoot to generate load.

Sounds like good advice. The factory suggestions (based on Rossi) for my monza have the bindings WAY back as well. I have not tried it out yet, but am eager to see how much worse my already lame skiing will get.

88 PS190
04-04-2007, 11:56 PM
to set the record straight I really did not realize i wrote "youse" but if you can't guess what that is... Its not worth explaining.

Water is warming up soon I hope, air today was 29 degrees.

H20skeefreek
04-05-2007, 07:31 AM
ate leest ewe didn't right ewes.

88 PS190
04-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Try out that new boot location?

its the conversion I used between connolly stokers plates and FM's, and the same for a trick ski.

H20skeefreek
04-06-2007, 05:55 PM
haven't gotten to ski yet. She's mounted up and ready to go. The original intent of this thread was not even to figure out where to mount the frankenshells in regards to the original binding position. I understand that the hardshells should go back 1/8" back from factory. The point is that the factory recommendation puts the factory bindings back all the way in relation to the holes, if I'm measuring properly. It doesn't make sense, b/c you couldn't adjust them rearward. I want to be sure that I'm measuring from the right spot.

88 PS190
04-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Right, but since you have your own boot system, I cannot guess what the thickness of the heel etc. Once you get the measurement of where the heel to back of boot is as opposed to say heel placement in a wileys boot you've got a conversion factor.