PDA

View Full Version : What's a Wally?

Hrkdrivr
03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I've seen many references to "Wallys" since I've been lurking around. Sadly, since we got our first boat two summers ago, I saw myself in some of those references...like raging around in a nice calm cove, pulling a (gasp) tube and generally messing up the glass for everyone else. But, we learned without anyone getting mad enough to sink us out in the middle of the lake.

But I'm sure there are other boating faux pas I'm going to want to avoid in the future, but I don't know yet what they are. So, could you all pool your collective knowledge and enlighen the newbies in the group?

(I did a search on the term and got a zillion pages back, but I did at least look before asking) :)

Chief
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Morons with boats or at least people who have no idea what they are doing (i.e. getting the boat ready to launch at the ramp holding up everyone.)

TMCNo1
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Morons with boats or at least people who have no idea what they are doing (i.e. getting the boat ready to launch at the ramp holding up everyone.)

I'm disappointed, I thought a "Wally" was the guy @ Wal-Mart that works in the sporting goods department that knows nothing about boat supplies and equipment they sell. WoW! Same difference, nevermind!:D :rolleyes: 8p

WTRSK1R
03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
From About Waterskiing/Wakeboarding:
http://waterski.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-wally.htm

Definition: Boaters who have little or no respect for other boaters and drive recklessly

Basically it is anyone who is unfamiliar with boating and creates a hazard or interferes with others. IMHO The best thing you can do to avoid this is take a boater safety class. Although they will not tell you not to tear up the smooth when someone is waterskiing, they will inform you about right of way, how to handle your boat in a variety of situations, and generally make you a better, more informed boater.

Good Luck. :)

Farmer Ted
03-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Don't worry, there should be a Wally exemption card in the info packet that came with your boat, right next to the "just another @sshole with a MasterCraft" paperwork....

HAR HAR HAR

jjk94
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Then there is WONAC for Jet Ski's ... Wide Open Not A Clue

Ric
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
It's been said that if you are at a public lake for a half hour and cannot pick out the Wally's, then the Wally is most likely you.

Maristar210
03-29-2007, 01:24 PM
It's been said that if you are at a public lake for a half hour and cannot pick out the Wally's, then the Wally is most likely you.

Did Rachel tell you that? Oh wait a minute she tells you whatever she wants to because she can kick your *** right? 8p :D

barefoot
03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
There was an article posted last summer that talked about this very subject. I wish I had saved it because it talked about how to keep water calm for everyone all day long, general courtesy rules, and respect for those around you. It was really well written and like I said, I wish I had kept it. It would have been perfect here. Maybe some knows where it is.

Toober Tom
03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I have been called a wally, but I don't know why.:confused:

Ole Miss Rebels
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
it has gotten so bad at our lake that i made an appointment with our county supervisor and fish and wildlife officer. i drew a map of our boat ramp and parking lots and showed them where there should be signs and what they should say. i.e.- staging area/ prepare boat here, no stopping here, do not leave boats unattended on loading pier, park in designated areas only, etc, etc, etc. it probably won't fix everyone's inconsiderate behavior but it should help and it does give the considerate people something to point to when we try to educate them. i have found that generally speaking we have met the most dangerous and inconsiderate people while boating,

Slinkyredfoot
03-29-2007, 01:35 PM
From About Waterskiing/Wakeboarding:
http://waterski.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-wally.htm

Definition: Boaters who have little or no respect for other boaters and drive recklessly

Basically it is anyone who is unfamiliar with boating and creates a hazard or interferes with others. IMHO The best thing you can do to avoid this is take a boater safety class. Although they will not tell you not to tear up the smooth when someone is waterskiing, they will inform you about right of way, how to handle your boat in a variety of situations, and generally make you a better, more informed boater.

Good Luck. :)

We always called these boaters Sunday Admirals....

Ric
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Did Rachel tell you that? Oh wait a minute she tells you whatever she wants to because she can kick your *** right? 8p :D I dont think Rachel would appreciate that comment.

Rockman
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Here's the topic in depth...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10548&highlight=%22wally+rule%22

Maristar210
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I dont think Rachel would appreciate that comment.

Hmmm now I'm really confused.

Does she want a collar and leash? PM me your addy

Ric
03-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Hmmm now I'm really confused.

Does she want a collar and leash? PM me your addy no but she welds better than you:D

rodltg2
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
this is my dog "wally"

Hrkdrivr
03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Then there is WONAC for Jet Ski's ... Wide Open Not A Clue

We call them Jet Ski-tos or water-roaches.

Hrkdrivr
03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Here's the topic in depth...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10548&highlight=%22wally+rule%22

THAT'S the thread I was looking for...thanks Rockman!