PDA

View Full Version : A Trick to change 351 plugs?

87MCProstar
03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
is there a trick to changing out spark plugs in an 87 Prostar? it looks like the exhaust manifold is kinda in the way of a direct hit on the plug.

TMCNo1
03-27-2007, 08:23 PM
is there a trick to changing out spark plugs in an 87 Prostar? it looks like the exhaust manifold is kinda in the way of a direct hit on the plug.
Offset box end wrench, spark plug socket w/extension, ratchet and take your time. Lightly grease the plug threads to put new ones back in helps a little.

Ryan
03-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Offset box end wrench, spark plug socket w/extension, ratchet and take your time.

Ahh, just take off the manifolds.

I haven't had much trouble just using a spark plug socket. Though some say there can be a challenge with one plug on each side of the engine. I did just break one last week with a spark plug socket though.
That's always fun.

Footin
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Ahh, just take off the manifolds.

I haven't had much trouble just using a spark plug socket. Though some say there can be a challenge with one plug on each side of the engine. I did just break one last week with a spark plug socket though.
That's always fun.

Last week???????? I figured you would have that thing sold by now!

east tx skier
03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Box wrench for 6 of them. On the two tough ones, you can use a broken off plug wire boot (credit to JimN for that one).

bmargol
03-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I have an 88 tri star with a similar manifold almost in the way of the plugs. I took a plug socket and shortend the end that the wrench goes on, this helps the socket fit better.

pkskier
03-27-2007, 11:01 PM
I have an '87 TriStar just use a box end wrench and don't get in a hurry. Really not that difficult. Like eastie said use an old spark plug boot or a piece of rubber hose that fits over the spark plug to put them back in so you don't cross thread them.

Ryan
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Last week???????? I figured you would have that thing sold by now!

Not quite. It may be going up on Ebay soon.

Kevin 89MC
04-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I just used a box wrench. Took awhile, but as I commented in the other spark plug post, I don't change my plugs very often! I'll probably sell this boat before changing plugs again, and I won't be able to upgrade & sell for a long time!
Good luck.

88 PS190
04-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Get them loose then either the spark plug wire, or a section of fuel line over the plug will let you spin it out fast.

You can get the socket on them easy if you don't have it on a ratchet.

I don't use the rubber boot inside spark plug wrenches when working on cars, so the socket doesn't get stuck.

hz900
04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
I just changed mine (92 prostar) and it took me 15 min. I used a spark plug socket with the rubber taken out of it, and a swivel/universal socket extension with a 10" extension on that and could get to all of them. Just be easy with breaking them loose, and don't get to carried away with torqueing them down to hard, that will break the spark plug because of the angle you are pulling at.

JohnnyB
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
I just changed mine (92 prostar) and it took me 15 min. I used a spark plug socket with the rubber taken out of it, and a swivel/universal socket extension with a 10" extension on that and could get to all of them. Just be easy with breaking them loose, and don't get to carried away with torqueing them down to hard, that will break the spark plug because of the angle you are pulling at.

This is the same method I used on my '92....spark plug wrench with the universal to crack 'em loose, then a piece of fuel line that fit over the end tightly to spin them out and in. Taking the rubber out of the spark plug socket is a good idea for this situation and it was always a PITA to get the socket off of the plug.

87MCProstar
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
all of the suggestions help termendously, i'll be giving it a shot tomorrow, since the boat is coming out of storage this afternoon!!!!!

87MCProstar
04-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I changed the plugs over the weekend and WOW, no problems what so ever. I know the motor is very easy to get at but I was a little worried before I looked at it. I had a 94 Z28 that took me 8 hours to do plugs and wires. Thanks again everyone for the tips!