PDA

View Full Version : Rub rail

kidshanko
03-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Good afternoon, I am nearing the end of the restoration of my 1990 PS 190 and need two more parts.

The shop that painted the boats says it is nearly impossible to re-install the old bump/rub rail. Any tips for re-installing or should I purchase new, and if new - form where??

Next, on the back transom the black speedometer device got broken and is in need of replacement, can anyone help with a possible supplier

as always, much thanks............reg

Ryan
03-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Try a search for rubrail. I remember someone on here (or maybe it was on wakesiderides) a year or two ago that gently used a heat gun and a screwdriver or two to replace/reinstall one.

Slinkyredfoot
03-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Good afternoon, I am nearing the end of the restoration of my 1990 PS 190 and need two more parts.

The shop that painted the boats says it is nearly impossible to re-install the old bump/rub rail. Any tips for re-installing or should I purchase new, and if new - form where??

Next, on the back transom the black speedometer device got broken and is in need of replacement, can anyone help with a possible supplier

as always, much thanks............reg

I assume on the back of the transom you are refering to the pitot pickup for the speedos. I got two new ones that are real nice from Discount Inboard Marine 1-803-345-0996.
I also replaced my rub rail this winter, not a real hard project just painstaking, I will try to find where my guy got the rub rail, I had several choices, if ya want pics let me know, I will post some

east tx skier
03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
You'll like the replacement pickup. They don't clog nearly as much if at all. You'll need to drill two holes on either side of the pickup so that it'll match the original holes. I put some 3M marine sealant in the holes before resetting the screws.

jbrooks86
03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I just did the rub rail this weekend. Like Slinky said doable but a PITA. I used my wife's high powered hair dryer. This was really rough on the fingers, but got the job done. I think if you could find a pot big enough to coil the insert in and boil it in water, that would be the best way. I did a small piece and it seemed to hold the heat longer. If you do this make sure you have some way to keep the water with the insert in it close to the boat so it will stay hot. I also think you could re-use the old rub rail if not in too bad shape. Mine was broken, thus the new one.

BrianM
03-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Get a big pot (turkey fryer big) and boil some water turn it off and put the rubrail in it. Let it soak for a bit and then install. This will make it soft and pliable. I know at least one boat manufacturer does it this way.

dichdoc
03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
I will 2nd 3rd and 4th the hot water trick. The rub rail is super hard, place it in the water and it is amazing how soft and plyable it becomes! I used a turkey fryer but would be easy to do on the stove, just bring a large pot of water to boil, CAREFULLY carry it to the boat and submerse the rub rail in. I used wire to make for easy retrieval. Two people, one friend with heavy gloves holding and uncoiling in front of you and you pushing it in I started with plastic putty knives and a screw driver handy but ended up just popping it in by hand! Never had to reheat the rubrail as the install took all of 5-10 minutes. As for new, a roll was around $50.00 from West marine if the old was ugly at all I would buy new. The Aluminum was alittle more pricey. TB

shepherd
03-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I used a heat gun while installing it by myself. I used a screw driver blade to press in a section (about 2 to 3 feet long) after I heated it up good. Not really a big deal, but it took a lot longer than 5 or 10 minutes (maybe an hour?).

I thought about soaking it in the hot tub but was thinking it wouldn't hold the heat long enough. Guess I should have tried.

kidshanko
03-28-2007, 05:44 PM
has anyone tried a silicone (like armorall) to lubricate as well as heat??