PDA

View Full Version : center ballast on x1

jmkshm101
03-27-2007, 02:58 PM
My boat didn't come w/ the center ballast bag and for the time being will just fill it using an external pump. I would love to automate the process in the future w/ a switch. A couple of questions, does the center ballast on the KGB system have its own thru-hull or does it share w/ the rear tanks? If it has its own, does MC pre-rill them and cap them? Would I need to have two ballast pumps, one for fill and 1 for empty to automate the process? I only suggest that b/c my past experience says that the single direction pumps are faster but I may be wrong. I am sure that this information has been posted before and I am sorry for asking again but I couldn't find it. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

sanjuan23
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
PM Harvey I know that he plumbed something from his rear tanks to his center tank.

Harvey
03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
The addition of the KGB ballast is pretty straightforward and doesnt require drilling any holes in your boat. You will need a ballast puppy reversible pump Click here (http://www.pumpbiz.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=pump_series&series_id=490). You will need about 25-30 of 1 inch (I think) reinforced hose Click here for example (http://www.tradekey.com/product_view/id/170408.htm) (you can also get this at your local home depot sometimes). You will also need 6-8 hose clamps (see your local home depot). In addition you will need the switch and wiring to hook it all up (dealer would be best).

There is a manifold in the rear of the boat that has a spot for the hose to lead to the pump. That manifold is fed by one thru hull scoop under the boat (no drilling). The pump is usually located starboard side behind the driver underneath the back seat. If you are facing the ski pylon and the largest seat cushion is out it will be the left hole. From the pump you will run one hose down and over or under the gas tank up into the ski locker where you will connect it with the bag. In addition you will have to run a vent line from the center bag to a thru hull vent above the water line. There should be no drilling necessary.

Truth be told, bag, pump, hoses, clamps, wiring and the work it takes to do it, you might be better off negotiating with your dealer to do it. The bag will run you $150-200, the pump $250, the hose and clamps another $75, and it will probably take the average mechanically savy person about 3 hours to do. At $80 bucks an hour you can probably get your dealer to do the install for $800 maybe less if you push it. The install is not that difficult but if you don't feel comfortable taking part of you boat apart, or you are not comfortable with wiring then I would just work with your dealer. If you are up to the task, get the parts you need and ask your dealer for some detailed instruction or PM me. If you buy the parts from your dealer they should be more than willing to give you the info you need to install it all.

Sorry I missed a few of your questions.
My boat didn't come w/ the center ballast bag and for the time being will just fill it using an external pump. I would love to automate the process in the future w/ a switch. A couple of questions, does the center ballast on the KGB system have its own thru-hull or does it share w/ the rear tanks? If it has its own, does MC pre-rill them and cap them?
Like I said above it is a manifold that has a number of output holes (one for each bag and two for draining) and one large input that takes water from a single scoop under the boat.

Would I need to have two ballast pumps, one for fill and 1 for empty to automate the process? I only suggest that b/c my past experience says that the single direction pumps are faster but I may be wrong.
You could install your own system with two pumps but the ballast puppy is pretty fast and the boat is already set up from the factory for the KGB ballast with only one pump.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
HERE... (http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17225&st=0) is my install. It may give you some ideas, but go the route you wish.

jmkshm101
03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Thank you all very much. Harvey your instructions were great and once I got home and saw the manifold that is what I expected. When I go to empty, the water will just flow back into the manifold and out the side correct (assuming there is a check valve in there for the rear tanks)? I don't think that I would need a separate drain line would I?

P-hat, your instructions are great but probably over my head as I am not that patient or mechanically inclined. Your setup is beautiful and I am very impressed.

Harvey
03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Thank you all very much. Harvey your instructions were great and once I got home and saw the manifold that is what I expected. When I go to empty, the water will just flow back into the manifold and out the side correct (assuming there is a check valve in there for the rear tanks)? I don't think that I would need a separate drain line would I?

The check valve is actually only on the intake from the bottom of the boat. The pumps are inline in between the manifold and the rear tanks so they act as check valves (provided they are not on fill when emptying the center tank). When one, two, or all three pumps are emptying they force the water into the manifold which forces the water into the two empty hoses and out the sides of the boat.

You don't need a seperate drain line (the single line from the manifold is for fill and drain) but you need an overflow. If you left the pump on for too long the bag would burst without it. Normally the overflow line is routed up through the floor on the port side under the glovebox and out the thru hull there. If there is already a line there you can tie into it with a spliter but make sure there is a check valve on the other hose and you should probably put one on your overflow hose as well. You wouldn't want to overflow the center into somewhere it shouldnt be and vice versa. In real life use, here is what actually happens. When the center ballast is filling up the ski locker door will start to pop up before it will use the overflow line at which point HOPEFULLY you turn it off. If you don't turn it off the bag will probably break a hose loose or worse burst. I don't let mine run long enough to find out so consider yourself cautioned.

Phat's ballast is a REALLY clean custom install on a boat not equipt from the factory. Your boat is already set up you just have to add the necessary components.

SteveO
03-29-2007, 01:59 PM
FWIW, you can get the simer pumps from BE Atlas for about $80 and pick up a double pole double throw switch (Without the fill drain stenciled on it) for about $25. Some tube, wires, fuses another $50 and a sac for under $200 from fly high. W/O labor well under $400.

Harvey
03-29-2007, 02:28 PM
FWIW, you can get the simer pumps from BE Atlas for about $80 and pick up a double pole double throw switch (Without the fill drain stenciled on it) for about $25. Some tube, wires, fuses another $50 and a sac for under $200 from fly high. W/O labor well under $400.

He is right! I only suggested the dealer for the switch so that it looks like a factory installed option. The dealer should be able to help you order the bag as well. They will want an arm and a leg for the pump though. If you can get these parts at your dealer for the same price why not support them? If might help your place in line when you need work done in the middle of the summer!!! Not that any dealer would put a loyal customer ahead of one that isn't! :cool:

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
In addition, you have to take into account the location of the pump. Simers aren't ignition proof like the Jabscos are. I chose Simer b/c my location wasn't a concern and I had issues on my '02 stock system Jabscos and cost. Jabsco might have gotten things worked out since tho. If going in your engine bay/bilge get something ignition proof.

Harvey
03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Just an FYI for anyone looking for a Jabsco reversible pump

West Marine Jabsco pumps on Sale $199Click Here (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/121565/0/0/ballast%20pump/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0)

jmkshm101
03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Thank you all. I bought a pump online for $150 and a bag for $129 from Wakeside. Both should be here next week. I am going to start the plumbing process on Tuesday and I will try to document everything and take lots of pictures to help future people.

point1234
04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
yes I too would love to see how you do this because I am in the same boat. getting sick of putting the hose over the side of the boat.