PDA

View Full Version : Insulation on Engine cover

Bradski
01-20-2005, 12:08 AM
My foam insulation under my engine covering is falling like snow in Colorado. Anyone have any tips for a replacement product? Where did you find the material?

H20skeefreek
01-20-2005, 06:21 AM
My foam insulation under my engine covering is falling like snow in Colorado. Anyone have any tips for a replacement product? Where did you find the material?

West Marine. Noise reducing insulation.

east tx skier
01-20-2005, 11:37 AM
I just bought the I/O foil-backed noise reduction kit from overtons and plan to redo my insulation before it's warm enough to ski. There's a nice little how-to on the MBO Discussion Board

Motor Box Noise Reduction Installation How-to (http://www.malibuboatowners.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=114&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

G-man
01-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Well Doug the Malibu people should know they are the loudest boats around. I was lucky my factory foam in the engine compartment held up well. I reglued 1 section in 12 years. 3m spray glue works well. Get those projects done now cause soon you'll be doing those Dad projects.

east tx skier
01-20-2005, 12:38 PM
No doubt. Interestingly, it appears that Malibu does not offer the sound reinforcement as standard equipment, but as an option.

_JR
01-20-2005, 11:33 PM
mine did the same and I removed it all and had LineX sprayed in.

Actually made a slight improvement over the foam, and looks MUCH better.

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Looks good, JR.

G-man
01-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Thats great, I know a guy that did that to whole inside of a jeep. Now he can hear the stereo.

jimmer2880
01-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Thats great, I know a guy that did that to whole inside of a jeep. Now he can hear the stereo.

HUH? I can't hear you.... let me turn down the stereo in my Jeep :D

I'm Herculining my Jeep's tub this summer. Of course, I've been saying that for 2 years now. Maybe I'll actually get to it this summer!

BriEOD
01-24-2005, 07:47 AM
JR--Can you give me a ball park figure of what the cost? Also, did it really make a difference quieting the engine. Thanks.

_JR
01-29-2005, 12:53 AM
If I remember correctly, the quote was $400 un-prepped and $100 prepped.

So, I scraped, scraped, scraped and scraped the insulation and glue off of the interior of the engine cover.

I used the guys at Line-X, and it turned out great. In and out in about an hour.

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Just got my box back from the upholstery shop. Yeah, I decided I hate cutting patters and got them to cut and install the foam. I think it looks pretty good though. Snapped a couple of pics before I left the house after lunch.

I did the prep work like JR (and with price in mind). The foam came off really easily as its apt to do after 12 years. Instead of scraping, I used an adhesive remover called "Goof Off" that I picked up at Lowes. Then I took it to the car wash and hit it it some soap and water to get the Goof Off off. Shop vac'd and dried it, then off to the upholstery shop. Total cost was about $200 ($79 for the foam, adhesive and foil tape and $125 for the labor). I still have to attach some foam to the screen beneath the drink holders.

The hardest part was getting the motorbox off. Thanks, George, for the tip about pulling the floor up.

Here's the foam (disected). Much thicker than stock.

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Per George's instructions, I unscrewed the floor plate and rested it on the manifold risers. This made it much easier to get to the lock nuts securing the motorbox.

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Here's the finished product (sans the screen under theh cupholders).

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 04:13 PM
From the other side with better light.

G-man
02-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Doug, great job on the insulated motor box. I bet it is much nicer to talk while underway.

I'm looking at the photo's trying to remember where that third zert is: one on top of the aluminum bracket, I think this one puts the grease in the steering cable housing and squirts back because there is no ball in the zert, one on the sleeve of the rudder shaft, and I think there is one for the ball joint the cable swings on . What did you find?

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
According to my owner's manual, they are here, here, and here. (See arrows)

G-man
02-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I take it that means you didn't find one on the sleeve of the rudder shaft?

east tx skier
02-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Actually, I haven't had a chance to look yet with all the scanning I've been doing. I figure it's there.

east tx skier
03-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Just a little update. Don't know if I mentioned it, but the new insulation is a little thicker than the OEM insulation. That, combined with my Edlebrock intake manifold led to more motorbox clearance issues, even with the low-profile flame arrestor. Not serious clearance problems. I could see the indentation of the flame arrestor on foil surface of the insulation. But it's soft, so I didn't worry about it on the maiden voyage. However, my concern was that someone would lean or sit on the engine box and put stress on the engine.

I finally got the nerve up to solve the problem last night. I cut out a square around the nice pattern made in the foil by the flame arrestor. I gave about 2" on each side. I then scraped out the insulation, but for a small amount, and refinished it with foil tape I picked up at pep boys. Problem solved as clearance goes. Hope I don't pick up too much extra noise from this. Doubt it will be noticeable.

east tx skier
03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
And one other.

/shutterbug

BriEOD
03-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Here we are...

BriEOD
03-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Here is another view...

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Looks great, Brian!

BriEOD
03-14-2005, 12:52 PM
You and JR got me fired up about it. I LOVE :love: that custom flame upholestry JR has. It is sweet!!

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I was torn on getting OEM skins or copying the motor pattern of the newer prostars. At this point, I've got the skins in the box, sprayed with a little 303, and wrapped in plastic until I determine that what's on there is a lost cause, which is probably years away.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I just finished my engine box insulation project. I will post pics tomarrow. It went well, I am anxious to go try it out see how quiet the engine is.....

kjohnson
04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
What is LineX?

André
04-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Same as Rhino Liner.
Sprayed rubber that they use for the pick ups bedliner...

04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Here are the pics! as promised!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/UMPsenginecover3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/UMPsenginecover2.jpg

I thought it went very well. The most difficult part was cleaning the old glue off the engine cover. It was a bit of a bear. I used OOPS to take the glue off. I had to use 2 cans of it. The glue stuck very well. There wasnt any moving it once I put it on there. I used a tack cloth just before I sprayed the glue to remove any stray dust or residue from the insulation fitting process. Once all was in place, I taped the seams with the foil tape. cut the vent and drink holes, taped them, done! I am looking forward to see how it works for noise reduction. Big thanks to Eastie for the help, and to whoever that guy at wakesiderides was that posted his tutuorial on engine cover insulation :)

04-04-2006, 09:52 AM
HA! I just realized the bottom photo, it wasnt my best moment for photo skills, I have my slimfast bar in one corner and my mom's foot in the other corner :purplaugh

costs:

Engine box insulation kit from overtons $70
Extra roll of foil tape $10
OOPS adhesive remover $12
It seems like I am forgetting something else for costs......

east tx skier
04-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Great job, UMP. Did that extra tape come in handy? If not yet, when you catch the insulation on the engine while closing it, it will. Very easy to patch. It's almost invisible.

04-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Great job, UMP. Did that extra tape come in handy? If not yet, when you catch the insulation on the engine while closing it, it will. Very easy to patch. It's almost invisible.

Yes, the kit did not include enough tape. I needed more. I just know I am gonna end up with tearing that or ripping it, so having the spare tape in the garage will be good. your right, its nearly invisible. I really like the whole concept. So tell me this, seeing you did this already, what did it do for your engine noise? and heat?? Did it improve those things at all?? curious..... :confused: I know I will end up needing to patch where the prop rod comes out, It ripped up the old one.

I might really go over the edge and take my decibel meter on the boat with me to see what the noise levels are now. :o I know, I know......Im a geek......

east tx skier
04-04-2006, 11:57 AM
It didn't do too much for noise over stock. Maybe a little better. But it wasn't falling down like my stock insulation was. I prefer the look of the stock over the shiny foil. But the price was right and the kit from overtons is very functional and easy to repair. Plus, when I had to cut out room for my flame arrestor after my performer intake manifold install, the foil tape made for an easy mod.

amber 6
04-04-2006, 02:38 PM
folks when I bought my stars and stripes 82 it had no lining under the engine cover. So in relation to this post should it have insulaton and would anyone have a picture please or any other details.

04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Amber,

I dont know what the older MC's had for engine box insulation, but I recommend this kit if your gonna do it. It worked very well. It was simple, easy to install. Maybe someone else here will know about the 82 boats if they had OEM insulation. :confused:

BrianM
04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
folks when I bought my stars and stripes 82 it had no lining under the engine cover. So in relation to this post should it have insulaton and would anyone have a picture please or any other details.

The older boats didn't have insulation. My '88 had nothing as well.

redmike
04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
brian, did you put insulation on yours, sorry if you have already posted this....

BrianM
04-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Never bothered doing it to my '88. I thought about it but decided it wasn't worth my time or the $100 in materials.

jraben8
04-04-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure about 82 but I know that 83-85 and 87 did not have it standard. But the design of those boxes should be relatively easy to retrofit.

macattack
09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
JR: Any regrets/lessons learn from using the LineX option?? Assume this stuff is fire retardant; did it improve the quietness vs the OEM foam? Cost? tks, mac