PDA

View Full Version : Raw water strainer location

Brn85ss
01-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Has anyone out there had trouble finding a location for your raw water strainer? The engine box on the stars &stripes tapers on the back side and leaves little room.I really wanted to put it up stream from the tranny cooler,since I found garbage in the cooler last summer.Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

jimmer2880
01-20-2005, 06:35 AM
on my '95 PS190, my RAW Water Intake comes straight up from the hull, into a 90deg fitting, into my strainer, then straight out of the strainer curving down to the transmission (I almost said tranny! :uglyhamme ) cooler.

Got my kit from www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com). They even supplied the correct size barb fittings. You won't be sorry you did it. Just be sure to dain it when you winterize.

east tx skier
01-20-2005, 10:33 AM
As Jimmer mentions, the 90 degree hose barb is key in my opinion. I didn't use one and just barely had enough room without running into one of my engine mounts. It enables you to not have to bend the intake hose downward. Mine's upstream from my t-cooler, too.

A word of advice, always cut leaving a little more hose than you think you need. I came up short on the intake hose and had to drive to Dallas in lieu of ordering it and not skiing that day. (My nearest dealer is a CC dealer and they use 1" (not 1.25") intake hose).

As for cutting the hose, I figured I'd have to use a hacksaw, but discovered that there's not really enough room to get a good saw stroke going. If that turns out to be an issue, use a pocket knife (it's just rubber afterall) and trim the wire reinforcement with a pair of wire cutters.

Brn85ss
01-20-2005, 02:20 PM
As Jimmer mentions, the 90 degree hose barb is key in my opinion. I didn't use one and just barely had enough room without running into one of my engine mounts. It enables you to not have to bend the intake hose downward. Mine's upstream from my t-cooler, too.

A word of advice, always cut leaving a little more hose than you think you need. I came up short on the intake hose and had to drive to Dallas in lieu of ordering it and not skiing that day. (My nearest dealer is a CC dealer and they use 1" (not 1.25") intake hose).

As for cutting the hose, I figured I'd have to use a hacksaw, but discovered that there's not really enough room to get a good saw stroke going. If that turns out to be an issue, use a pocket knife (it's just rubber afterall) and trim the wire reinforcement with a pair of wire cutters.
Thanks for the replies guys,however mine won't fit in the locations you describe because the engine box tapers in the back.by the way if you guys ever have to cut your hoses again pvc pipe cutters work great.also I already tried 1 90 degree fitting and 1 straight,not even close to working :(

MarkP
01-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Brn,

What strainer did you buy?? Just curious.

Brn85ss
01-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Brn,

What strainer did you buy?? Just curious.

I bought the sherwood 1" with 90 degree assuming I would be able to make it fit.

east tx skier
01-21-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm assuming the PCM engines of the day were using 1". I'm surprised that doesn't fit. Must be cramped in there.

jackpita
04-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Did you find a place to put it?
My 92 Maristar has a tight fit as well.
thanks